Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Day

Hey guys,

I just posted a youtube video of my first track day in my V6 S at the KMT in Kuwait.

Just wanted to know if you guys have any tips and tricks to improve my driving, and any post track day maintenance tips.

Last edited by irh007; 07-18-2020 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Kuwait Motor Speedway is back open? Currently in country and would love to know upcoming events. Was at the Art of Performance Tour in February.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not yet that was back in Jan, Im just posting it now as I've got more free time.

Do you live in Kuwait or the States ??

JacksonvilleJag (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by irh007
Not yet that was back in Jan, Im just posting it now as I've got more free time.

Do you live in Kuwait or the States ??
I live in the the States, but am often in Kuwait for business, and currently here for what will be a little while longer than expected. Been to KMT many times for different events and looking forward to it opening again. Always a good time.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

My first recommendation is to mount your camera inside your cockpit. To be able to help (virtually) coach, your driver inputs also need to be in view. I'll post an example video below. With the F-Type, you'll probably need to suction it to the rear window and aim it forwards. Make sure to set "Spot Metering" on when setting it up to operate inside the cockpit. Example video (not from an F-Type:

Also, the wind noise is pretty substantial from that mounting position so it's hard to hear the engine. The few times I could hear it sounded like you were hunting for the right gear as you were coming out of a corner (i.e. you'd come out of a corner and then downshift to get more speed). You want to enter a corner with the gear you are expecting to use when you are going to (eventually) accelerate out of the corner..

The following 3 users liked this post by Mahjik:
DJS (07-23-2020), irh007 (07-18-2020), Panthro (07-26-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
My first recommendation is to mount your camera inside your cockpit. To be able to help (virtually) coach, your driver inputs also need to be in view. I'll post an example video below. With the F-Type, you'll probably need to suction it to the rear window and aim it forwards. Make sure to set "Spot Metering" on when setting it up to operate inside the cockpit. Example video (not from an F-Type:

https://youtu.be/jxwBDkakvQE

Also, the wind noise is pretty substantial from that mounting position so it's hard to hear the engine. The few times I could hear it sounded like you were hunting for the right gear as you were coming out of a corner (i.e. you'd come out of a corner and then downshift to get more speed). You want to enter a corner with the gear you are expecting to use when you are going to (eventually) accelerate out of the corner..
Love MPH!

Mahjik (07-22-2020)
Old 01-08-2023, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

This original "Shoot" was taken on my way to work several years ago! I really wasn't in much of a hurry that Day and didn't know that it had gotten out on the Web....Wish now that I had really gotten on it! Oh Well! I hope you enjoyed it......

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

DJS (01-08-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like fun. My two cents.
1. Use ALL the track. Drive the car all the way to the outside edge at track out. The car will accelerate faster because you are using less steering lock after the apex. Eventually you'll reach the point where you are applying enough throttle coming out of the corner that you have to go all the way out, so get used to that line now. And don't creep in before turning in. You should be right at the outside track edge when you being your turn in for most corners.

2. Hit all your apexes. Consistently hitting your apex and track out marks tells you can start to push a little harder, Inconsistency hitting these marks means you are possibly pushing harder than you are ready for and at risk of a large enough mistake that you leave the track,

3. The correct place to start rolling onto the throttle is always the apex. If you can't get on the gas there and stay on the gas your apex is too early. If you don't need all the track out room your apex is too late. Late apexes are safer, but the fastest line is the earliest possible late apex. That is the apex point where, when you hit it and go to gas, you can stay on the gas without any lifting and barely keep the car from going "too wide" at the track out. You pick what "too wide" is based on how consistently you hit your track out mark. If your track out varies from lap to lap you need to aim to track out a couple of feet from the curb to allow a margin of error. With practice you aim to track out at the curb, where the curb itself is your margin of error. If you are really confident you aim to track out on the curb, unless it is too much of a bump or traction loss.

These are general comments that apply to most "stand alone" corners. "Connected" corners are all different and these ideas may not apply. Hope they are not too obvious.

The following 3 users liked this post by Michael211:
Bierry (01-11-2023), DJS (01-09-2023), winstonsalemncxk (01-11-2023)