F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track weekend photos/video from COTA.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track weekend photos/video from COTA.

Tracked the RWD British Design Edition this past weekend at Circuit of the Americas (COTA). Car performed very well. I removed the plastic engine cover and the cargo privacy cover, but other than that, it was completely stock. Brakes never faded, but I was lifting a bit at the end of the back straight, and I'm a green group driver as well. Coming from relatively light cars (E36 M3, Cayman S, AP2 S2000), the F-Type is heavy, but it still handled very well at track. Left traction control on, and put Dynamic Mode on all factory settings. First two sessions were wet, and the stock Pirellis worked well. Here's the link to a video of two decent laps I put together. The instructor was clapping on the second lap at turn 12 because I had been having problems with it. Kept coming in too fast, and going out wide. Audio isn't great. The windslayer on the GoPro muffled out the exhaust note. There were 100+ cars there, and this was the only F-Type. My instructor, who has 4 track cars, was thoroughly impressed with the handling, although he did think it was a bit underpowered. I had to tell more than one person that this did not have a 500+ hp motor. I think a lot of people correlate the F-Type with the "R" model, and don't realize that there is an "S" as well. Anyways, enjoy.

The following 3 users liked this post by IlMostro796:
Burt Gummer (01-29-2018), Don1954 (01-30-2018), ndabunka (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Let's see where the drool button is now that my keyboard is all wet. *Jealous*

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (01-30-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Pretty good driving for Green Group (novice) I reckon, nice and smooth and most apexes clipped. Odds on waaaay better than I would have done!

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-30-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice man, I’m hoping to get out to COTA in the next year or so. I’m jealous you’re a local to it!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You'll definitely notice a difference in the S when you're able to track it without the extra weight of a passenger. It really is a lot of fun on the track.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Pretty good driving for Green Group (novice) I reckon, nice and smooth and most apexes clipped. Odds on waaaay better than I would have done!
Thanks. I’m not a total newbie to track days. I did two days at Sebring and one at Roebling Road, but it was with a different club and in a Cayman. It was also in 2013, so my first few laps this weekend were ugly. Some of the apexes at COTA are missed on purpose. Turn 10 for example. Because the way the track has settled over the years, hitting that apex can really disturb the car because there is a dip there. 16-18 is a bit strange too. But yeah, if I missed any other ones, it was definitely my error.

Originally Posted by DJS
You'll definitely notice a difference in the S when you're able to track it without the extra weight of a passenger. It really is a lot of fun on the track.
When he made the comment, I was accelerating out of a turn in 4th gear when I really should have been in 3rd. So that’s partly my fault. The S really was fun to track, but replacing 20” tires sucks. I think if I really was going to track this car more often, i’d try to find a set of 18 or 19” wheels.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I found this on 6S and nearly had a heart attack https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-roadster.html

Will be driving Indy this year and can't wait

Glad you had a blast

Old 01-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
Thanks. I’m not a total newbie to track days. I did two days at Sebring and one at Roebling Road, but it was with a different club and in a Cayman. It was also in 2013, so my first few laps this weekend were ugly. Some of the apexes at COTA are missed on purpose. Turn 10 for example. Because the way the track has settled over the years, hitting that apex can really disturb the car because there is a dip there. 16-18 is a bit strange too. But yeah, if I missed any other ones, it was definitely my error.

When he made the comment, I was accelerating out of a turn in 4th gear when I really should have been in 3rd. So that’s partly my fault. The S really was fun to track, but replacing 20” tires sucks. I think if I really was going to track this car more often, i’d try to find a set of 18 or 19” wheels.
As you have an S you have the 380 mm front brakes, and no JLR OEM 18" wheel will fit over them, the smallest JLR OEM wheels that will fit are the F-Type 19" (and only the F-Type ones, no other JLR model wheels).
There may be after-market 18" wheels that will fit but I've never heard of any, and there may be a handful of after-market 19" wheels which will fit.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This track so much safety pavement. I wish my local track had a bit more. Here it is all grass, rocks, and in the worst spots stacks of tires.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
As you have an S you have the 380 mm front brakes, and no JLR OEM 18" wheel will fit over them, the smallest JLR OEM wheels that will fit are the F-Type 19" (and only the F-Type ones, no other JLR model wheels).
There may be after-market 18" wheels that will fit but I've never heard of any, and there may be a handful of after-market 19" wheels which will fit.
I see. Thanks for the heads up. I may look for a set of used 19” JLR wheels that I can beat up on at the track.

Originally Posted by SinF
This track so much safety pavement. I wish my local track had a bit more. Here it is all grass, rocks, and in the worst spots stacks of tires.
Youre right, but aside from the esses, there isn’t as much open pavement on the inside of the track. It’s all on the outside. Unfortunately, there were two accidents this past weekend. The BMW who went to the outside scrubbed off enough speed that he only broke a tail light and dented the rear quarter. He was able to get back out on track the next session. But the caged Miata who went to the inside....hit the wall hard enough that not only was the car destroyed, but he/she and their instructor had to be taken to the hospital. There is basically no runoff on the second to last turn, which is a fast left hander. They kept telling us over and over, if you can save it, try to go to the outside of the track, never in.