F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track wheels and tires, exhaust, headers, tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track wheels and tires, exhaust, headers, tune?

Getting the R coupe soon. How wide of a wheel can we run for track purposes front and rear? What width are the stock wheels? Believe it or not the dealership couldn't tell me. LOL

Also, is anyone putting together a tune, headers, or exhaust for the R Coupe yet? I got under one at the dealership and its looks like there is a good bit of improvement left on the table from the exhaust manifolds back.

Thank you for your help.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey, were you on MBWorld?

Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dremorg
I'm assuming you were as well??

Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Yes. I remember you. You were the mod king there. Lol. You bought an R8 also. I see you're thinking about making this beast (R) even beastlier!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Yes. I remember you. You were the mod king there. Lol. You bought an R8 also. I see you're thinking about making this beast (R) even beastlier!
Sold the R8. Time for a new project.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Why'd you get rid of it? I can't wait to see what you have in store for your R!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Why'd you get rid of it? I can't wait to see what you have in store for your R!
Hadn't planned on selling it. In fact, I was in the process of working with UGR to get the TT set up done and someone approached me to sell it. I jokingly said everything is for sale for the right price and she's gone. Rather sudden so I've been doing research on the new potential track cars and narrowed it down to the following. Pretty sure the R Coupe will prevail.

Viper T/A
AMG CLA45 or E63 with the 5.5TT
Audi RS7
New 2015 Z06 with 650HP.
Jag F, R Coupe.

What is your suggestion? Need a track/street car.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads R Coupe
Hadn't planned on selling it. In fact, I was in the process of working with UGR to get the TT set up done and someone approached me to sell it. I jokingly said everything is for sale for the right price and she's gone. Rather sudden so I've been doing research on the new potential track cars and narrowed it down to the following. Pretty sure the R Coupe will prevail.

Viper T/A
Audi RS7
New 2015 Z06 with 650HP.
Jag F, R Coupe.

Thanks for your input.

Hope you go with the R.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Wow. Hard list there.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Getting the R coupe soon. How wide of a wheel can we run for track purposes front and rear? What width are the stock wheels? Believe it or not the dealership couldn't tell me. LOL

Also, is anyone putting together a tune, headers, or exhaust for the R Coupe yet? I got under one at the dealership and its looks like there is a good bit of improvement left on the table from the exhaust manifolds back.

Thank you for your help.

I believe the stock 20" wheels with the exception of the Storm wheels (fitted with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes) have the following dimensions which are stamped on the inside of the wheels.

Front 9J, 255/35/20, 55mm offset
Rear 10.5J, 295/30/20, 38mm offset

I read somewhere that the Storm wheels have a slightly wider stance so the offsets may be different (possibly to accommodate the larger brakes). Not sure about the rim size but they have the same tire sizes.

According to the specs for Michelin PSS, you could go to a max width of 275/35/20 on the front 9" stock rims. With the rear 10.5" stock rims, you could go to a max width of 315/30/20.

The XKRS-GT comes with 9J,10.5J rims also and has 265/35/20 front and 305/30/20 rear on it. According to the tests I've seen, those sizes work pretty well on it.

Last edited by jleuz1; 07-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jleuz1:
Dads R Coupe (07-13-2014), vic55 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted my impressions of driving my Type R on the track here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ssions-117829/

I absolutely love my Type R, but I wouldn't use it regularly for the track. It depends on how many track days you do a year. If you plan to do so frequently, of the cars you listed I'd probably go with the Z06 or buy a Z51 and mod it.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ftypegtr
I posted my impressions of driving my Type R on the track here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ssions-117829/

I absolutely love my Type R, but I wouldn't use it regularly for the track. It depends on how many track days you do a year. If you plan to do so frequently, of the cars you listed I'd probably go with the Z06 or buy a Z51 and mod it.
Why not track it more often? Overheat, brakes, what issues are you dealing with?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lol

I was going to ask the same thing. Dad's custom maroon C63 AMG sedan? That's you right? I had a C63 Coupe that I sold to get a GTR, then sold that to get the F-Type R Coupe.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No issues, only took it out for one 20 min session so I can't comment on brakes, cooling, etc. However, most relatively heavy cars that you track hard will need rotors/pads upgraded (unless you get CCMs for FType). Supercharged cars can also have issues with heat soak (ask ZR1 owners that seriously tracked their cars). However, I'm sure others on the forum can comment on their experiences with Jag's supercharged V8s on the track so I don't want to over generalize.

My comment stems from the feel of the car on the track. Steering is very accurate but doesn't have much feedback. The transmission shifts quickly but isn't as good as the best DCMs. Basically, the car is so smooth that you feel a bit isolated from the track. However, maybe that's just my personal preference. You can definitely turn a fast lap in this thing and have fun on the track.

Please take my comments in context. I have a fully track prepped GTR with a built motor, trans, suspension, etc that I use as a dedicated track car. Of course, when I jump into the FType, it feels soft in comparison. I do around 20 track days a year so I really beat on the car that I use for the track. I use my FType as my daily and I love it. It's a very special car.

If you do get the R and mod it for the track, I'll definitely be interested to hear about your experience!

Last edited by ftypegtr; 07-13-2014 at 12:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ftypegtr:
Dads R Coupe (07-13-2014), Dremorg (07-13-2014), Panthro (03-26-2016)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ftypegtr
No issues, only took it out for one 20 min session so I can't comment on brakes, cooling, etc. However, most relatively heavy cars that you track hard will need rotors/pads upgraded (unless you get CCMs for FType). Supercharged cars can also have issues with heat soak (ask ZR1 owners that seriously tracked their cars). However, I'm sure others on the forum can comment on their experiences with Jag's supercharged V8s on the track so I don't want to over generalize.

My comment stems from the feel of the car on the track. Steering is very accurate but doesn't have much feedback. The transmission shifts quickly but isn't as good as the best DCMs. Basically, the car is so smooth that you feel a bit isolated from the track. However, maybe that's just my personal preference. You can definitely turn a fast lap in this thing and have fun on the track.

Please take my comments in context. I have a fully track prepped GTR with a built motor, trans, suspension, etc that I use as a dedicated track car. Of course, when I jump into the FType, it feels soft in comparison. I do around 20 track days a year so I really beat on the car that I use for the track. I use my FType as my daily and I love it. It's a very special car.

If you do get the R and mod it for the track, I'll definitely be interested to hear about your experience!
Thank you very much and I will advise. :-))

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Dads is here!! LOL whats up bro I just got a Type R Coupe and have heard that OE Tuning has a tune and I heard there is a pulley tune combo that should yield close to 80 wheel but its all hearsay. Ill post more after I speak to Jeremy at OE as I remember him telling me a while back that he has tuned many of the Type S verts with excellent results superchargerwise.

The following users liked this post:
Dads R Coupe (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by vic55
Dads is here!! LOL whats up bro I just got a Type R Coupe and have heard that OE Tuning has a tune and I heard there is a pulley tune combo that should yield close to 80 wheel but its all hearsay. Ill post more after I speak to Jeremy at OE as I remember him telling me a while back that he has tuned many of the Type S verts with excellent results superchargerwise.
Vic55, great to see you already over here! Please let me know how the tune works out. Is there much room for headers? Isn't the stock exhaust small in diameter for 550hp? The rear portion of the exhaust looks huge and heavy. Suggestions there? How are you liking the R so far?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Viper T/A
Audi RS7
New 2015 Z06 with 650HP.
Jag F, R Coupe.

Thanks for your input.
The '15 Z06 is gonna be awfully hard to beat right out of the box as a track car...

Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Vic55, great to see you already over here! Please let me know how the tune works out. Is there much room for headers? Isn't the stock exhaust small in diameter for 550hp? The rear portion of the exhaust looks huge and heavy. Suggestions there? How are you liking the R so far?

It's been only one day but I am impressed. I'll get it up on the rack tomorrow and report back as the exhaust.

If OE is around I'll tune it too. I want to break it in with the tune on.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by vic55
It's been only one day but I am impressed. I'll get it up on the rack tomorrow and report back as the exhaust.

If OE is around I'll tune it too. I want to break it in with the tune on.
Is that the way it should be done? I know you guys know your stuff. I'd like to bring mine up past 600hp myself. You wouldn't want a before/after Dyno just to be sure how much you've gained w/the tune?

Quick Reply: Track wheels and tires, exhaust, headers, tune?