Sponsored by:

Tracking the F type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BOulderGT3
This made my day. I want to do that.
What did you do for prep or clear tech?
I've only run on high banks a couple. of times. It looks like a lot of buffeting and how was the transition off the bank to the infield part?
Great stuff.
👍.

Not much special prep. I did have my mechanic look over the car since it is Daytona it was time for fresh tires and brakes on the front. Also had it alligned. He added 1 degree of camber to fronts (max with OEM set up). Bled the brakes too.

The car is much faster than my time. I was Only about 3/4 throttle on banks due to my keen sense of self-preservation!

I ran a little more air pressure in my tires for safety as right rear blowouts do happen. I was 37 front and 40 rear when hot. Started at 31/33 cold.

Daytona is an adrenaline rush for sure!

Last edited by Matttheboatman; 12-03-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

How did you like the dip over the tunnel? Where you finding that after a few laps you'd crunch up your abs in anticipation? Yes, Daytona is a great track - as much for the nice air conditioned lockers and fabulous paddock! Looked like you were turning a respectable time - brought back many memories. We used to road race there with SCCA. What group were you running with?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
How did you like the dip over the tunnel? Where you finding that after a few laps you'd crunch up your abs in anticipation? Yes, Daytona is a great track - as much for the nice air conditioned lockers and fabulous paddock! Looked like you were turning a respectable time - brought back many memories. We used to road race there with SCCA. What group were you running with?
No longer a dip - all smooth. The banks are intense. I have to keep telling myself - “keep looking ahead / relax your hands / check your mirrors / don't let the car drift up the bank”.

The group was the Ohio Audi Club - great great host. Many other groups come out to take advantage of the private track day. There was a dozen or so Mustangs, Corvettes / Radical and DP Racers / BMW was testing / Porsche Cup and Clubsports - and a few Jags - (3) to be exact.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

If you think of it the next time, please let me know when they run Daytona. Daytona used to be VERY strict on not allowing 'club' use - only official sanctioning bodies. I'd love to run up there with you. thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Matttheboatman (12-05-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Default Lap from different perspective - showing hands

The following 3 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
alrivers (12-20-2017), mbelanger (12-12-2017), Mbourne (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
Another really nice video. Pretty good bounce going up onto the bank but the car was settled. I can't tell how hard you're braking.
Good lines and nice keeping your head up. You've spent a fair amount of time on the track at some point.
I'm really surprised they don't have super tough sanctioning at 150MPH+
I'm motivated to get to Daytona.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:51 AM

Another really nice video. Pretty good bounce going up onto the bank but the car was settled. I can't tell how hard you're braking.
Good lines and nice keeping your head up. You've spent a fair amount of time on the track at some point.
I'm really surprised they don't have super tough sanctioning at 150MPH+
I'm motivated to get to Daytona.
Agree.

Street cars without roll cages are seeing speeds of 177 - friends Cayman, and 181 in a Corvette. Thats fast. Bad things can happen with a blowout. Makes my 159 mph feel slow. I was only 3/4 throttle.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree.

Street cars without roll cages are seeing speeds of 177 - friends Cayman, and 181 in a Corvette. Thats fast. Bad things can happen with a blowout. Makes my 159 mph feel slow. I was only 3/4 throttle.
So give it up. You've got lots of track time. What's the backstory?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree.

It's crazy, the cars today are so capable and so fast. Most HPDE track days are filled with very fast street cars with seat belts as the only protection. I feel much safer wheel to wheel racing, when I'm in a car with roll cage, harness, fire suppression etc.

MC

2017 Berlina Black NSX
2015 GMC Yukon Denali (zzzzzzzz)
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2003 Mazda Miata
1996 Acura NSX-T (sold)
2015 Jaguar F-type R (gone)
2008 Corvette Z06 (sold)
2011 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)

BlackPenquinn (04-21-2018)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you have a bad wreck at 150mph+, I don't think roll cage and a helmet is going to save you. You need proper harness, neck brace and anchor and so on to stand a chance.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM

So give it up. You've got lots of track time. What's the backstory?
Thanks for your interest Boulder. Not much of a back story to share except that about 4 years ago, I became a track enthusiast.

My addiction to the sport of tracking happened when a friend begged me to go with him to an "Extreme Experience" where they let you drive a Ferrari around the circuit for 3 short laps. I asked him "why would anyone want to do that?".

Then, after 3 rookie laps with me behind the wheel, the instructor asked if I would like to take a hot lap with him behind the wheel. It was then I realized how fast is done. I was hooked.

I purchased a new 2014 Porsche Cayman S and signed up for PCA track days where they assign you an instructor. Great people with the patience to let you learn. I got the hang of it after a couple of weekends.

Next up was a Cayman GTS with some track options. I moved up to solo driving and was getting faster.

Next, I ordered a Cayman GT4 with Euro Delivery. Got to run it on the autobahn, Glossglochner pass, and finally 2 days at Nurburgring. It was a new car / new track for me - so I was way slow....until one of the instructors named Thomas Koll asked me if I wanted to do an hot lap with him driving. The Euro racers out there are amazing. His first time in a GT4 / First Lap with me in the passenger seat we did a 7:45 lap. Passed everyone including the GT3s The GT4 was really cool, but I started a new business and decided to sell it.

Luckily I found the FType when my wife was at a Jag dealer. She said she liked it and would drive it (she would not drive the GT4 as its front end was too low). So we made an incredibly good deal on the car and have loved driving it ever since. It sounds great, has all the power, and is well planted and safe. But, ultimately it is too heavy to be a dedicated track car as weight is a great penalty.

I am still a Cayman guy - low weight / great balance. And, will likely get the next iteration of the GT4 whenever Porsche announces it. I generally don't mod my cars but will mod the GT4 for safety including a Harness Hoop / 5 point harness / fire extinguishing system / and a Motec data logger.

Driving the Jag has been a lot of fun and I can't say enough good things about the smart AWD system - it keeps the car going straight always. And that is important when running near the limit. I still have a few personal best times to achieve with the Jag over the next 12 months. Standby for more to come...

Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

[/i]
Where did you have your number decals made?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by SVR
Where did you have your number decals made?
Mark at Sign Source - signsourceFL@gmail.com / 850-499-4633

Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My motto for tracking is - I only track what I can afford to lose.

Last edited by 911Königin; 12-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Prange (01-01-2019)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Track ins for those who choose.
Generally speaking your biggest risk element while on the track is you...and most of us have some control over that. Excellent instruction with most clubs putting on events...PCA,BMW, etc. is a very necessary first step IMHO.
If you try it, you'll love it.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Great video! I'm assuming the data logger is a little off in regards to your speed...it's showing some crazy acceleration from 100 to 150 mph. Also I can't tell if your manually shifting or keeping it in auto (I would have assumed manual but can't tell). Anyway - good times!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by technician
Great video! I'm assuming the data logger is a little off in regards to your speed...it's showing some crazy acceleration from 100 to 150 mph. Also I can't tell if your manually shifting or keeping it in auto (I would have assumed manual but can't tell). Anyway - good times!
Yes, my data logger is a $20 app called Harry's Lap Timer and it works with iphone's embedded GPS. Harry's suggest to use an external plug-in GPS with a high refresh rate - simply never got one.

I have been wanting to test a bluetooth OBD doggle that you simply plug into to the car's computer via the OBD and it will relay the car's info such as braking / acceleration / etc to the app. But, I read somewhere that the doggle can sometimes cause the Jag to act up, so I never tried it. My mechanic suggested we try next time the car goes for an inspection and he can reset the car if it goes into limp mode or throws a code.

At Daytona I was in full Sport Auto shift mode. It works great. I've done it both ways depending on the track. No difference in elapse times observed so I just leave it Sport Auto and focus on the racing line /turn in / braking / and accelerating. I know Pros like to shift, but for me the car's computer does a fine job in most instances. However, I do admit I love manual control on downshifts after a long straight particularly if I am close to another car - I know he hears the big cat's loud growls / nipping at his heals.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Default Engine Oil Overfill Again!

I once again had the oil changed and checked the oil level after operating it awhile. Yep, in the "red" segment - overfilled again!

I think for a Best Practice, it will be necessary to ask the dealer to leave it a QUART or 2 LOW, then drive it until the oil gets heated, then check and add in 8 oz increments until it full.

If you are going to be tracking or do some spirited driving, I recommend you fill it to a level that is either 1 or 2 segments below full so to leave room for expansion which does occur on the track.

Removing Oil:

My tools for removing are a $15 Harbor Freight hand pump and a clear solo cup.

The smaller diameter tube is barely the correct size to wedge into the small oil tube you find under the oil fill cap. Note; the small black tube is actually too wide to go down into the oil. But it does make an air tight seal and allows for the pump to create a suction. Same result. In this instance, I removed 14 ounces of oil to get the car back to full segments. I will remove another 8 - 16 ounces before the next track day to allow for expansion.

Here are pictures of the oil removable tools and process...

Attached Thumbnails Tracking the F type R-oil-cap.jpg   Tracking the F type R-oil-tube.jpg   Tracking the F type R-hand-pump.jpg   Tracking the F type R-cup-overfill-oil.jpg   Tracking the F type R-after-removing-14-oz.jpg  

Old 12-13-2017, 02:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Or take it somewhere else to get the oil changed. If I did that, I'd be very clear with the dealer why I was going elsewhere. Or, since you have the extractor, change it yourself. But in any case, I'd probably rip the service manager a new one, if this was the 2nd time they did that.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Or take it somewhere else to get the oil changed. If I did that, I'd be very clear with the dealer why I was going elsewhere. Or, since you have the extractor, change it yourself. But in any case, I'd probably rip the service manager a new one, if this was the 2nd time they did that.
DJS, the problem is not that simple.

I checked the oil level when I picked up from the dealer and it indicated full segments (NOT OVERFULL). Perhaps it expanded when it went from cold to hot, perhaps the electronic gauge is not 100% accurate, or perhaps some contaminates entered the oil after tracking - who knows??? That is why I say a Best Practice is to start a Quart or 2 Low and add it in 1/4 quart increments.

FTYPERGUY! (12-14-2018)