Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Why did you not keep the Cayman GT4?

Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Why did you not keep the Cayman GT4?
I understand the question Jaguny - it does seems unusual. But my circumstances were unique.

I ordered the Porsche GT4 to replace a very nice Cayman GTS I had. Basically, the cars were about the same price - so that seemed like a no-brainer. The GT4 was $89k.

I took Euro delivery of the GT4, had an awesome tour in Europe including two days on the Nurburgring. And, had some quality track time when I got it back home including Daytona and NOLA. Then, I decided to leave a company to start my own boat business and thought it was prudent to sell the GT4 while people were still paying MSRP for a used car (I had no idea nearly 2 years later they still fetch MSRP!). So, that put me on the sidelines while I focused on my new business.

Then, one day I was poking around a Jaguar showroom and asked if they had any good deals. The salesman said they had a new F-Type R that just came back from the body shop as it has been involved in a "track accident". Hmmm, I thought a new car that was damaged?? I smell a DEAL! They offered me an incredible number and I showed the car to my wife. It was love at first sight for her.

So, that is how I ended up going from a GT4 to the Jag.

I did not plan it, it just happened! It has opened my eyes to the other worlds that exist outside of Porsche and on the track, I believe it has made me a better driver learning how to adapt.

Last edited by Matttheboatman; 05-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
jaguny (05-01-2018), Mbourne (05-01-2018), Panthro (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my British Design Edition (RWD) coupe to MSR Cresson and did a day out there. Great time as usual. That might be it for the Pirellis. I had two days at COTA and then this event on them. Still no reliability issues at all with the car after 6k miles. Two videos below. One with Lotus Exige and one with 430whp S2000.

Last edited by IlMostro796; 05-02-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
[left]I took my British Design Edition (RWD) coupe to MSR Cresson and did a day out there. Great time as usual. That might be it for the Pirellis. I had two days at COTA and then this event on them. Still no reliability issues at all with the car after 6k miles. Two videos below. One with Lotus Exige and one with 430whp S2000.
Nice laps Mostro!!! Keeping up with a Lotus and a S2000 on those twisties is not easy. You are very composed!

Regarding tires, I did burn through my front Michelin Cup 2s. Only had 4 track days on them and about 3,000 street miles. Hmmm let me do the math $900/4 = $225 per track day - ouch!!! The front left is beginning to show some cord on the edge. Barber's has a reputation to eat front left tires going up the hill at turn 3. The rears are still serviceable after 8 track days.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
Nice laps Mostro!!! Keeping up with a Lotus and a S2000 on those twisties is not easy. You are very composed!

Regarding tires, I did burn through my front Michelin Cup 2s. Only had 4 track days on them and about 3,000 street miles. Hmmm let me do the math $900/4 = $225 per track day - ouch!!! The front left is beginning to show some cord on the edge. Barber's has a reputation to eat front left tires going up the hill at turn 3. The rears are still serviceable after 8 track days.
The Cups are a DOT approved tire with racing compound rubber. Racing tires are not generally expected to last more than a full race weekend. You got good use out of those tires.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman

It was my first time on that track, so I’m sure my line wasn’t perfect everywhere, but I sure had fun. The two blind hills/turns were a trip. I just had to tell myself that the road would still be turning past the crest, and to trust that the line was correct. But the FType performed well. Not many cars can do that and then a 7 hour drive back home the next day (in comfort). I’m always impressed with the car, and I think others are too. It’s not every day you see an F-Type on track, so I feel a bit like a brand ambassador at times.

I’m not sure which tires i’ll get next. If they were street only, i’d get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but if I’m just going to eat them up at the track, and have had good luck with the P Zeros, maybe i’ll get them again since they’re cheaper. Idk yet.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Would appreciate some help here.
PCA track days at Atlantic Motorsport Track near Halifax. 30-34* track of course much hotter.
started at 33# all around...up to 48# left front, the rest @ 44 or so..very slippery, plowing etc....lowered the pressure 5# went out again after 1.5 hrs. Much better....lowered another 5# and better still for the 3rd session.
checked the tires and shocked/amazed with the left front. Normal wear to the base of the tread on the outside but the tire seemed to have had something brushing on it past the base of the Michelin....almost 3" below the tread. No indication of wear...seemed as though it had rubbed against the inner wheel well (?). L front only.
nest day...started out at 32", went up to 38-40'# depending on the run...temp still in the mid 30* range.
now...both front tires have the same "brushing" wear.
No sign of anything rubbing...didn't curb either side.....what could it be ?

Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I don't see anything unusual.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Awd

Fairly poor picture....if you "expand " the top of the picture it is more visible.
it is wear on the sidewall of the tire....but not likely track wear.
Car didn't nose dive under heavy braking, didn't tip L or R on tight turns....a mystery to me.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

If you look at the inside of the affected tires , you might see the same rub marks. Going out on the track with 32 psi cold is way too low. You may be rolling the tires over on the side walls. Start out with at least 38 psi cold. I personally would start out at 40-42.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you look at the inside of the affected tires , you might see the same rub marks. Going out on the track with 32 psi cold is way too low. You may be rolling the tires over on the side walls. Start out with at least 38 psi cold. I personally would start out at 40-42.
+1

Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Awd

Inside of the wheel shows somewhat less scuffing on the tire, but obviously "roll over" as mentioned by Unhingd.
Big question remains...tire pressure cold.
The Jag "track tips" says 30-32 for the Pirellis...35-32 for Continentals.....and post 22 mentions 30-32.....and so on.
i started at 33 or 34, and hot I had 48 on the L front...too hot and greasy. I dropped the hot temps twice by 5# or so each time and when the tires were cold the next am the pressures were 30#.... real low I was thinking.
Who has 4S tires on the track, and what do you use as cold pressures at the start of a track " experience " ?
What seems to be an optimal hot pressure ?
All in all it was a great couple of days...have to improve my throttle modulation, have to use the paddles more to be in the correct gear to accelerate out of a couple of t he corners where if not there was "turbo" type lag...avoid the urge to get on the throttle too early. Stuff like that.
All in all...a very good time indeed.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the Michelin 4S on a V8s convertable. I have a couple of track days at Atlanta Motorsports Park on them. I find that a cold air pressure of 31/32 gives me 38/38 on the track which works well for me. I agree that the heavy nature of the car chews up the front outside edges of the tires, but otherwise the wear is not too bad. I have also noticed that the tire goes through some sort of heat cycle on the tread surface, but I am not sure that it is unusual or impacts the performance.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have 4S. I usually start at 36 PSI, aiming at 38 once warm but depending on how hot the day is can end up with up to 42. Anything between 37 to 41 when warm is acceptable to me.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

With a car that has a "street alignment", you are going to have some rollover just due to the camber setting (or lack thereof) unless the tire has a super stiff sidewall.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
With a car that has a "street alignment", you are going to have some rollover just due to the camber setting (or lack thereof) unless the tire has a super stiff sidewall.
Higher tire pressure will resolve that more easily than increased negative camber.

The following users liked this post:
Prange (01-01-2019)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Higher tire pressure will resolve that more easily than increased negative camber.
It won't "resolve" it, but it minimizes it. If it was that easy, you wouldn't see race cars running super camber settings. The only real way to resolve it is with alignment changes.

The following users liked this post:
Prange (01-01-2019)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It won't "resolve" it, but it minimizes it. If it was that easy, you wouldn't see race cars running super camber settings. The only real way to resolve it is with alignment changes.
+1. But we are a bit limited in the amount of camber we can dial in on the F-Type. Lowering the suspension, though, does give us some more available negative camber.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

+1. But we are a bit limited in the amount of camber we can dial in on the F-Type. Lowering the suspension, though, does give us some more available negative camber.
Has anyone recorded what actual gains they get in negative camber from lowering?

Also, the reason that the tires gain PSI when hot is the moisture in the air in the tire expanding. More humid environments will see more change in PSI when run hard, where as dry places tend to change less. Don't concern yourself whether the cold psi is "too low", the only thing that matters is hitting your goal when hot!

Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

In picking tire pressure and alignment settings, tarmac compound, tarmac temperature, air temperature and driving style play a major role. The right way to pick the appropriate tire pressure is to take 5-10 laps and quickly use a tire pyrometer on all 4 tires. Ideally the temperature needs to be the same across the section of the tire. If it's colder in the center, you are running low on pressure, too hot... drop pressure.

I prefer to use nitrogen in my tires on and off the track, they are much more thermally stable.

I start every race with 34psi all the way around and adjust.

This is by far the most accurate unit I ever used Longacre Tablet Memory Tire Pyrometer 50650