F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking the F type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Track Update:
I planned a 2 day event at Roebling Road / Savannah and got rained out for the 2nd time. That place just does not want me to come there. My instructor called and urged me to come because I would learn so much in the wet. True, but the car is too pretty to go off and a new track is not where I want to learn the Art of Racing in the Rain like Denny Swift.

Ran at NOLA:
I lucked out and was able to pick up one track day with the NASA boys at NOLA in New Orleans. It was hotter than it should have been in December with the track temp near 80. I tried my best and could only get to 2:06 which was 6 seconds slower than my personal best in the Cayman. But the good news is I was consistent. And, I was able to get a check ride with an instructor who agreed to sign me off if I ran smoothly with a maximum of 1 error. Well, at the end of the 1st lap I had already made 3, but recovered well each time and no more errors for the rest of the session. He was gracious and signed me off to run in the advanced group all the same. And, once again, the Jag performed flawlessly.

What I learned:
Whenever I have an instructor, I learn something new. This time he gave me the advice to get off the brake earlier and coast a second before turning in after the long straight. He said he was sure it would settle the big cat and allow me to turn in at 2 or 3 mph faster. He was absolutely correct. I was able to get away from my usual habit of releasing the brake late or not at all if I'm trail braking. But, this was the wrong technique. Instead, I learned to completely get off the brake, allow the car to regain its balance, and then turn in carrying much more speed. It works much better!

Fun at Barber Motorsports Park:
My last track day of the year was at Barbers' in Birmingham (AL) with the Just Track It group. A great group of guys and gals with a wide variety of machines. It was my first time running with the Intermediate 2 level drivers and I found them to be fast no matter what they were running. Ultimately, the Jag hung in there with the older Bimmers, 911s, Camaros, and Vets. I could not keep up with the race equipped MIatas or the race 944s who were turning laps in the mid 1:40s. I did manage a personal best 1:50.01 and I have to tell you it was at my personal limit. 10/10ths as they say not to do. If you know Barbers, you know it is a technical track that rewards both precision and *****. The Jag is amazing on the straight, and into turn 1, and completely dominate into the corkscrew, she is not so swift in the weight-shifting "Kink" where I have much car control to learn. But overall, people told me they were impressed with the Jag - in the order of a) its good looks, and b) its great sound, and yes c) its ability to keep on the pace.

That was my last track day on the Jag. It was so much fun learning to manage its shortcomings, while at the same time being a hooligan and reveling in it strengths. If someone passed me on the straight, it is only because I was being a gentleman about it and letting them go by . I will miss the big cat. It never let me down once. On to the next machine...

The following 4 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
Chawumba (12-30-2018), DJS (01-02-2019), jlsthlm (01-01-2019), Panthro (04-10-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
Track Update:
I planned a 2 day event at Roebling Road / Savannah and got rained out for the 2nd time. That place just does not want me to come there. My instructor called and urged me to come because I would learn so much in the wet. True, but the car is too pretty to go off and a new track is not where I want to learn the Art of Racing in the Rain like Denny Swift.

Ran at NOLA:
I lucked out and was able to pick up one track day with the NASA boys at NOLA in New Orleans. It was hotter than it should have been in December with the track temp near 80. I tried my best and could only get to 2:06 which was 6 seconds slower than my personal best in the Cayman. But the good news is I was consistent. And, I was able to get a check ride with an instructor who agreed to sign me off if I ran smoothly with a maximum of 1 error. Well, at the end of the 1st lap I had already made 3, but recovered well each time and no more errors for the rest of the session. He was gracious and signed me off to run in the advanced group all the same. And, once again, the Jag performed flawlessly.

What I learned:
Whenever I have an instructor, I learn something new. This time he gave me the advice to get off the brake earlier and coast a second before turning in after the long straight. He said he was sure it would settle the big cat and allow me to turn in at 2 or 3 mph faster. He was absolutely correct. I was able to get away from my usual habit of releasing the brake late or not at all if I'm trail braking. But, this was the wrong technique. Instead, I learned to completely get off the brake, allow the car to regain its balance, and then turn in carrying much more speed. It works much better!

Fun at Barber Motorsports Park:
My last track day of the year was at Barbers' in Birmingham (AL) with the Just Track It group. A great group of guys and gals with a wide variety of machines. It was my first time running with the Intermediate 2 level drivers and I found them to be fast no matter what they were running. Ultimately, the Jag hung in there with the older Bimmers, 911s, Camaros, and Vets. I could not keep up with the race equipped MIatas or the race 944s who were turning laps in the mid 1:40s. I did manage a personal best 1:50.01 and I have to tell you it was at my personal limit. 10/10ths as they say not to do. If you know Barbers, you know it is a technical track that rewards both precision and *****. The Jag is amazing on the straight, and into turn 1, and completely dominate into the corkscrew, she is not so swift in the weight-shifting "Kink" where I have much car control to learn. But overall, people told me they were impressed with the Jag - in the order of a) its good looks, and b) its great sound, and yes c) its ability to keep on the pace.

That was my last track day on the Jag. It was so much fun learning to manage its shortcomings, while at the same time being a hooligan and reveling in it strengths. If someone passed me on the straight, it is only because I was being a gentleman about it and letting them go by . I will miss the big cat. It never let me down once. On to the next machine...
Great thread, it's been a fun and interesting read overall!

I bought an F-Type Coupe R (RWD) last year and tracked it three times - and absolutely loved it (it was my first track experience). Will track it a lot more during 2019. It's been great to read about your journey, even though you're on an AWD. If you could summarize your learnings into 2-3 takeaways for a newbie - what would they be?

And, what's the next machine then?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Fun thread.

As an ex-racer, I can say that if you crash a street car ,(without a roll cage and racing seat with harness) at high speed, you will probably get killed. Or wish you had.

On a positive note, budget for an extra few sets of wheels and tires for track use only. There are some great "street-legal" race tires out today. Worth every penny.

Also budget for proper brakes, both rotors and pads.You'll need them as they are disposable wear items like tires.

Have fun and more importantly, be safe. You can replace a car, but your family can't replace you.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (04-10-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Great thread, it's been a fun and interesting read overall!

I bought an F-Type Coupe R (RWD) last year and tracked it three times - and absolutely loved it (it was my first track experience). Will track it a lot more during 2019. It's been great to read about your journey, even though you're on an AWD. If you could summarize your learnings into 2-3 takeaways for a newbie - what would they be?

And, what's the next machine then?
Thank you jlsthlm,

My response to your question will sound like stuff you hear all the time, but here goes again....

1. If you are comfortable, you are not driving fast enough.

2. You should be faster than other cars in the straight (from the apex out) if you make your marks. If you are not, it is (likely) because you are afraid to be get back on the throttle early enough. So try to get back into the power a little earlier than what you might guess is safe, and then do it a little earlier than that. (as I watch my videos even knowing this it is easier to say then to do!)

3. Trust the Jag's brakes. Don't Brake like other cars. Brake later, Brake Harder, Then Get' Off them earlier. You will be amazed at your improvement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matttheboatman:
jlsthlm (01-01-2019), Panthro (04-10-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM

brake later, brake harder, and get off the brakes earlier. Oh, and if I was a better driver I would have gotten back on the throttle just a we bit earlier.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned rotors. Is there other options other than Wortec that you would recommend. Mainly Street driving an two or three tract days a year... I have a 2015 F-Type R that needs the rotors replaced and looking for possible better options other than OEM. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all... Cheers...

Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Mulmur (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I think I'm getting roped into an Aston Martin day at Thunderhill….I may yet track this car.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

FYI - DAYTONA - SCCA Track night, May 3rd. See this link. I'm sure it will sell out fast. I'll be there running. https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...-daytona-may-3

If someone can tell me how to do large video file links, I can post some recent track video here at PBIR.

Daytona is a fun track - the infield is very enjoyable.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Fun track day at Palm Beach International Raceway. We had to wait for the monsoon to clear, then got some runs in. There was a pesky burgundy color C7 Vette in front of me that didn't wish to point me by - he finally got the hint after following him a couple of laps and reeling him in. Hope this uplink works. The car runs quite a bit better on Michelin PS4S.

This is the 2nd post - I re-rendered to an .mp4 format.

Last edited by inmanlanier; 04-08-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Jamal302 (04-11-2022)