Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded my Porsche 911 turbo for a Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traded my Porsche 911 turbo for a Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Hey guys,

Brand new F-Type owner here. Last week I traded in my 2007 Porsche 911 turbo with manual transmission for a 2014 F-Type V8 S. Firesand color with 20 inch black Cyclone wheels and absolutely loaded with all the options. MSRP at $109,000. It was a Jaguar sales reps car so I could it for a pretty substantial discount with 3,000 miles. As-new condition.

I had loved my turbo (and still do) however I really wanted to have a convertible for the first time in my life. Looked a 911 turbo cab but if I was going to make the change I wanted something different.

Leaving the manual transmission was pretty hard, however I'm used to paddle shifter with my previous C63 AMG and that wasn't a deal breaker.

I think the F-type is absolutely gorgeous and I had looked specifically for one in Firesand with black wheels. Saw a lot of V6 variants, but finally found the V8 S that I was looking for in Virginia.

I've only had the car a few days, but I think I'm absolutely going to love it, especially in the summer with the top down.

I have been pretty disappointed with Premium Meridian 770W system. As others have mentioned the midrange and sub bass distort terribly and It's pathetic that the sound engineers would settle on this system, especially as a $1200 option. I also get various rattles with certain frequencies within the door themselves.

I swapped out the crappy BOSE speakers in my 911 turbo which made a huge difference. I would be interested in doing the same with the F-Type but can't find the speaker information anywhere, including crutchfield. Hopefully something swaps things out and posts about their experiences.

Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and say how happy I am with the car.

Cheers!

Russell

Attached Thumbnails Traded my Porsche 911 turbo for a Jaguar F-Type V8 S-img_4069.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Congrats and welcome. I myself was a previous Porsche owner (considered myself a P-car die hard). I had a turbo charged Cayman S, a Boxter, Spyder RS60 and a 911 turbo all at the same same before switching to Jaguar.

What I was missing the most with Porsches was the clinical driving experience when you are not above 4,500rpm. Not much get up and go and certainly mostly quietness from the exhaust.

The speakers, or more so the tuning of the stereo in my XKR-S is pretty disappointing, I hear it is better in standard XKs, it is far better in my XF for sure. I hope you can find what you are looking.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 AM

My 911 turbo had an aftermarket market and ECU tune and it was a rocket ship. 0-60 around 3.2 sec with a V-Box.

I knew going to pretty much anything else would be a step down performance-wise but I was okay with it.

It's disappointing that there isn't more info on ECU tunes for the car. I've read a couple of threads, but it seems only a handful of forum members have done it.

I used Eurocharged for my previous C63 AMG and would likely go with them again for the F-Type as tuning options are few and far between with this car. With the 911 turbo there were so many more options and much more user data to go from. I have to think there would be very noticeable gains with the 5L engine with a simple tune (and pulley as many offer).

Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ttvetdoc
My 911 turbo had an aftermarket market and ECU tune and it was a rocket ship. 0-60 around 3.2 sec with a V-Box.

I knew going to pretty much anything else would be a step down performance-wise but I was okay with it.

It's disappointing that there isn't more info on ECU tunes for the car. I've read a couple of threads, but it seems only a handful of forum members have done it.

I used Eurocharged for my previous C63 AMG and would likely go with them again for the F-Type as tuning options are few and far between with this car. With the 911 turbo there were so many more options and much more user data to go from. I have to think there would be very noticeable gains with the 5L engine with a simple tune (and pulley as many offer).
Search the XKR forum for more info on ECU tuning for the 5.0 SC engine. Lots of threads and posts on that subject.

Don't be surprised by the lack of aftermarket availability for the Jags. Jags are far more exclusive than Porsches, which is one of the big reasons many of us prefer them. Since so few are on the streets, not much incentive for the aftermarkets to provide options. Good luck with your purchase, hope you will enjoy.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ttvetdoc

Congrats on the new F Type!

I don't think you'll notice a massive difference, although your 911 rocket ship is of course quicker than a stock V8s. The magazines have been reporting 3.4 through high threes for the 0-60 on the V8S, so it's still pretty rapid albeit not up to the levels that you were used to. The big difference is that the 911 has simply epic traction off the line due to the AWD and the weight bias over the rear wheels, so it's a little harder to put the power down in the Jag - although when you get it right, it's still pretty fierce off the line. I had a couple of 997s prior to getting my own V8S and while I loved them and I do miss certain aspects of the 911, I really do prefer the Jag. The 911 exhaust notes always disappointed a little, and I had aftermarket mods on mine, but nothing compares to a blast in the Jag with the roof down - it's just an amazing noise for a stock exhaust.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM

I completely agree! The Jag F-Type is certainly much more exclusive than the Porsche and I love that about it. I don't know if I've seen a single other F-type in my area, but tons of Porsches (new and old).

There is no other feeling quite like driving this car around with the top down - absolutely love it. The exhaust certainly helps as well.

I will probably own another 911 turbo at some point - I'll probably wait for the 991's to come down in price. But for right now, the F-type was exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

" Traded my Porsche 911 turbo for a Jaguar F-Type V8 S”

AND WELL YOU SHOULD! LOL

Seriously, congratulations! You will love the car. AND you won’t see another one every mile or two!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Just to add to the comments (I agree with the thoughts). The V8S is just a blast to drive. It can be very comfortable if you want it to be, but then a real beast if you so choose. I can't really imagine it having more power unless you are tracking it. Hell, it breaks the rear wheels lose in 1st if you aren't paying close attention. I also agree that Porsche has just become too common (at least in Southern California) everyone has one and nobody can tell them apart. I have owned 3 and just ordered a Macan for the "family car", but I think the Jag is just more fun. If you want to find its limits I would suggest the Jag R performance driving school. Very well run and worth the money. You get to do lead/follow on the track in THEIR cars--good way to have fun with minimal risk. Welcome!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently owning a Porsche 996 I asked for feedback in a recent post so I appreciate the OP's thoughts. Impressive that he went from a 997TT to an F-type and was still happy with the Jag's performance speaks volumes!

Funny how things never change. The 2 biggest issues I had with my 996 was the crappy audio system and the weak sounding exhaust. A new double din install and a Fister D mod took care of that, so if I end up with an F-type I will likely have to deal with one more weak stereo.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Sweet color combination! Congratulations and enjoy! Your old P car may have been better on the track. IMO the F-type would be more fun on the street where most of drive our cars.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new Jaguar!

The F Types are really nice especially when they have certain upgraded features!

Cheers!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Loving the car so far. It's amazing how many head turns I get driving by people. I think most people have no idea what kind of car it is. I will be taking it to my local cars and coffee gatherings and I'm sure I'll be the only F-Type there. I'm many people will be checking the car out as you just don't see many on the road.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:42 AM

hi all.

New British member here living in Dubai. Thought I'd join and share the love.

So I don't tend to hold onto cars for that long, having bought 8 in the past 5 years. I guess my philosophy is that a) I love cars, b) there are so many good ones to buy/try and c) you may get run over by a bus tomorrow so if you can afford it, try them all.

My most recent car, up to last month, was a 2010 997.2 TT, my first Porsche.
It really was superbike fast and quite a rush. But coming from M6's, M3, RS5, RS4, XKR I realised pretty soon that I had to make a decision about what I really wanted in a car.

Speed - sure yes, we all like that.
Good looks - ditto.
Lavish interior - yes as well
SOUND - biggest yes of all.

To me, a sports car/GT is all about how is makes you feel. How it tickles your senses. How it plays with your emotions and most importantly, how (or if?) if makes you SMILE.

The Porsche looked great (yellow) with lovely interior. Porsche's are two-a-penny here in Dubai but I'm so glad I tried it. I'd have another one probably.
But other than the maniacal rush and turn of speed, it was - as has been mentioned - quite clinical. A

Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 AM

sorry, pressed post too soon by accident!

...I was saying - it's quite clinical and it's amazing how quickly you actually get 'used' to being propelled to 100km/h in 3.5 seconds. It never gets boring of course, but the emotion is one in your gut rather than in your senses.

So I sold it and visited my friends at Jaguar used cars in Dubai. They showed my a V8S packed with options (blade alloys etc) in stratus grey. I took it for a test drive and couldn't believe what a rush it was.
I tried the V6S a week later and that too was wonderful, but it didn't quite pack the punch I was used to, or wanted. Actually, 6 weeks on I can't help thinking that perhaps the V6S is perfectly adequate for these speed-monitored roads, and still sounds great. NAH! No such thing as too much power and you'll always find somewhere to use/abuse it

To summarise: I couldn't be happier with the Jag. It's not as nice as the Porsche's interior. It's not as fast either. But the SOUND it makes is what (for me) an expensive sports care is all about. It tickles my senses. It makes me smile and LOL. It never gets boring. I don't care what others think about my loud flash car. I'm not in it to impress others, I'm in it cos I love driving fast cars that sound good and make my day.

If I could afford the Coupe R I'd swop I think. The 'vert can creak a little and the lack of trunk space does mean golf clubs in the passenger seat (same as the Porsche I guess). I'd even considered the 2013 M6 to tick all boxes, but then realised that - short of a F430 spyder I'm just never gonna get an aural sound experience like the F Type V8.

Good choice my friend. Enjoy it!!

PS - keep checking over your shoulder + double check the blind spot monitor every time you change lanes. It's a total bugger to see out of and I generally circumnavigate this by just driving so fast that I know nothing next to me can actually be there. It really brings out the hooligan in me, which is worrying but....what a sports car is all about eh?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robindubai
...the lack of trunk space does mean golf clubs in the passenger seat...
Not necessarily, Rob

Attached Thumbnails Traded my Porsche 911 turbo for a Jaguar F-Type V8 S-image.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by drgek
Not necessarily, Rob
You're 100% right!! Learn something new every day. Thanks