F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in my R for a Huracan!...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Racing history aside (and I wouldn't say Jaguar has had much one one lately), Jaguar has really struggled over the last couple decades to make even a decent car. Its only within the last few years that things have turned around. Lamborghini on the other hand has met/exceeded their goals as a company for years.
I believe if you look at the vehicle production numbers for Lamborghini, they tell a different story prior to ownership by VAG.

Why turn the racing history aside? It is part of the essence of the marque and one that helps define what it is and what it becomes; DNA perhaps. Factories get in and out of racing for various reasons: financial, marketing or testing. Some brands, such as Lamborghini, have absolutely no racing history, but want to position themselves as being on an equal footing, which they are not.

Jaguar were quite successful prior to the dark BL years and the decline in resources. Under Sir John Egan, Jaguar began to improve even prior to ownership by Ford. Since the introduction of the X300, Jaguar quality has steadily improved, as can be seen in the JDPA rankings.

I guess we must each make our own decisions as to what is important when considering a replacement vehicle as it is a very personal choice.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Has the maintenance schedule, and cost of maintenance improved at all on the Lambos? I have a friend who owned an older one and he now only ever leases due to the cost of maintenance within a few years...
A neighbor has one and blew a tire due to something on the road. He had it towed to the dealer and while it was there, they did a minor service (not sure what that involved) including computer updates. He wrote a check for $2200, the tire was $700. So no, I don't believe they have gotten much better in terms of cost of maintenance lol.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
I believe if you look at the vehicle production numbers for Lamborghini, they tell a different story prior to ownership by VAG.
Irrelevant. Lamborghini isn't in the business of producing as many cars as they can sell like a typical car company. Production numbers vary on other factors.

Originally Posted by NBCat
Why turn the racing history aside? It is part of the essence of the marque and one that helps define what it is and what it becomes; DNA perhaps. Factories get in and out of racing for various reasons: financial, marketing or testing. Some brands, such as Lamborghini, have absolutely no racing history, but want to position themselves as being on an equal footing, which they are not.
If we're considering racing history as a serious reason to consider a brand for vehicle ownership, neither Jaguar nor Lamborghini are up to snuff. Neither has a consistent history of racing. Both are shadows to the likes of BMW, Porsche and Ferrari.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
A neighbor has one and blew a tire due to something on the road. He had it towed to the dealer and while it was there, they did a minor service (not sure what that involved) including computer updates. He wrote a check for $2200, the tire was $700. So no, I don't believe they have gotten much better in terms of cost of maintenance lol.
$1500 service seems extremely reasonable compared to that of the past. Compare that to Ferrari engine out services and thats down right cheap!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM

$1500 service seems extremely reasonable compared to that of the past. Compare that to Ferrari engine out services and thats down right cheap!
I believe that was just for the normal "checking on fluids" type deal and some computer updates. No actual real work done. Coming from him, it sounded like he thought it was a bit excessive and this isn't his first supercar. I don't know though, never owned one although they are tempting and beautiful like a tipsy blonde at a hotel bar.

Irrelevant. Lamborghini isn't in the business of producing as many cars as they can sell like a typical car company. Production numbers vary on other factors.

If we're considering racing history as a serious reason to consider a brand for vehicle ownership, neither Jaguar nor Lamborghini are up to snuff. Neither has a consistent history of racing. Both are shadows to the likes of BMW, Porsche and Ferrari.
I agree, but you have to understand that NBCat lives on the planet where nothing is better than a vintage Jaguar and anything without overhead cams is outdated junk that belongs in the garbage.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
You obviously have no knowledge of what it takes to keep a Countach running.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 355spider
You obviously have no knowledge of what it takes to keep a Countach running.
I'm lost as to when I ever claimed that I did.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I thought an earlier post said that they offer all service free (other than tires + oil) for the first few years?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I thought an earlier post said that they offer all service free (other than tires + oil) for the first few years?
I find that hard to believe. The 400 - 500 per the sales guys sounded low too. But maybe the new ones are different.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The agent told me that you only need oil, fluid and filter change for the first few years. Everything else is covered by a 3-year, bumper-to-bumper, unlimited mile warranty.

I'm thinking now that the best way to enjoy exotic cars is to "time share" it. That is, do what's called "fractional ownership." There is a special members club in Chicago (as well as in some other big cities) where you can pay for a certain percentage of ownership (1/5, 1/10/, 1/20) that gives you the right to enjoy an exotic for the time share period that you own. The benefits of something like this are significant: insurance is included; you don't have to worry about storing it; maintenance is included; etc. They can even bring the car to you. I know a lot of guys who buy exotics and hardly ever drive it (esp. in this area like Chicago). It becomes a huge waste of money. By doing an exotic car time share, you only pay for the time you want to drive it. Not only that, you are not stuck with one car. These clubs have other cars like Ferrari's, Lambo's, Aston Martins, Maserati's, Porsches's, etc. that you can drive during your time share.

Last edited by psb1013; 05-27-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't stand the look of the Huracan.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Here in Michigan my buddy (who helped me through my purchase of the Ftype) just traded his Ferrari my14 458 for a my16 Huracan straight up. AWD. He's bringing it over tomorrow. He loves the fit and finish, tech. Hope to go to Detroit to get some cool pics.

Said he sold the 458 (which he only owned for 6 months) because of the predicted value of the 458.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 AM

I test drove a 2011 458 today just for comparison to the Huracan. Performance overall was very similar. Ride quality was a tad stiffer than the Lambo but acceleration and handling were pretty close (even though the Lambo had 50 more HP). The 458's cabin was roomier than the Lambo's but looked dated and didn't have as many features.

The biggest difference came down to the price. The Ferrari dealer was asking $210K (original MSRP was around $280K). The 2015 Huracan I saw and drove a few days ago was going for just under $230K. Lease payments on the Ferrari was just over $3,600/mo. for 60 months with no money down. It was an open ended lease with an option to buy the car for $52K at the end of the lease. The lease payments on the Lambo was $3K/mo. for the same terms (MSRP: also around $280K). It was kind of shocking to learn that the lease payments for the 2011 458 was actually higher than on the newer Lambo. The Ferrari guys tried to justify it by saying that at the end of the lease, you can buy the 458 for a "bargain" price of just $52K, whereas with the Lambo, you end up with nothing at the end. What's the better deal here?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Been looking into preowned Huracans as of lately. As soon as they hit the 200k mark is when I plan to make a move on one. Stunning car and much more manageable than its hulking brethren, the Aventador. Not usually a fan of blue but, wow.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an F-Type SVR on order but was looking at a Huracan Spyder in a similar blue color to what I ordered on the F-Type. It's the same dealer group -- a huge plus because my local dealer is truly awesome. I test drove the Huracan yesterday. I love it but find a few issues that I think probably make the F-Type a better bet for me.

* The Huracan Spyder's cockpit is CRAMPED. The seat simply doesn't go back far enough, leaving me with being either upright or too close to the wheel. The wheel feels like it's in my lap no matter how I adjust it. My head very nearly touches the headliner even with the seat in its lowest position.
* Visibility is terrible, both on the road and in low-speed maneuvers such as parking. I can only shudder at the thought of backing out of a parking space in a busy area, and even changing lanes on the freeway seems nerve-wracking. There are no features to help either -- the backup camera is lacking, and there's no blind-spot monitoring.
* The stock stereo system is underwhelming to say the least. I realize that one doesn't buy a Lambo for the radio but still, I like to hear some tunes now and then.
* The dash screen is beautiful but there is no center-console mounted screen for e.g. the nav system, and the nav system that you do get is on the dash screen, so awkward and not a touch screen. I don't know if this is a big deal in practice.

One other thing is the amount of attention a car like the Huracan would get. Gawkers and children on bicycles getting too close to take pictures, etc. I am already nervous enough even with the F-Type V8S I have, in terms of where I park and not having it being molested.

Still... I completely appreciate the appeal of a Huracan and that Spyder especially is just a stunningly beautiful vehicle all-up both to look at and to drive. Anyone have thoughts about the above points? I'd love to talk myself into the Huracan... maybe I'd get used to the things above.

Last edited by tai4de2; 05-29-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I have an F-Type SVR on order but was looking at a Huracan Spyder in a similar blue color to what I ordered on the F-Type. It's the same dealer group -- a huge plus because my local dealer is truly awesome. I test drove the Huracan yesterday. I love it but find a few issues that I think probably make the F-Type a better bet for me.

* The Huracan Spyder's cockpit is CRAMPED. The seat simply doesn't go back far enough, leaving me with being either upright or too close to the wheel. The wheel feels like it's in my lap no matter how I adjust it. My head very nearly touches the headliner even with the seat in its lowest position.
* Visibility is terrible, both on the road and in low-speed maneuvers such as parking. I can only shudder at the thought of backing out of a parking space in a busy area, and even changing lanes on the freeway seems nerve-wracking. There are no features to help either -- the backup camera is lacking, and there's no blind-spot monitoring.
* The stock stereo system is underwhelming to say the least. I realize that one doesn't buy a Lambo for the radio but still, I like to hear some tunes now and then.
* The dash screen is beautiful but there is no center-console mounted screen for e.g. the nav system, and the nav system that you do get is on the dash screen, so awkward and not a touch screen. I don't know if this is a big deal in practice.

One other thing is the amount of attention a car like the Huracan would get. Gawkers and children on bicycles getting too close to take pictures, etc. I am already nervous enough even with the F-Type V8S I have, in terms of where I park and not having it being molested.

Still... I completely appreciate the appeal of a Huracan and that Spyder especially is just a stunningly beautiful vehicle all-up both to look at and to drive. Anyone have thoughts about the above points? I'd love to talk myself into the Huracan... maybe I'd get used to the things above.

Those are all valid points and I agree with most of them as I went on an extended test drive. As far as the cockpit being too cramped, I didn't think it was any worse than my F-type. Then again, me being only 5'9" tall is a big factor. The stereo system I agree is kind of crappy, but it's the same on Ferrari's. Then again, radios are irrelevant on Supercars when the engine and exhaust note are that good.

Supercars are essentially just weekend toys. They're only good for the occasional joyride. You can't go on errands with them or even go out to dinner in it. Can you imagine some valet trying to.park your exotic, or parking it yourself on some city street and worrying about it while you do your errand or during dinner?

The more I think about it, the more i'm convinced that time sharing it might be the best option.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh the agony! If I could afford a Huracan I would def trade in my beloved F-Type. Good thing there's no Lambo dealer close to me and the Ferrari guys in Portland are a$$holes. I am not tempted as much as you.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BMo
Oh the agony! If I could afford a Huracan I would def trade in my beloved F-Type. Good thing there's no Lambo dealer close to me and the Ferrari guys in Portland are a$$holes. I am not tempted as much as you.
Nowdays, you can shop and ship any car from anywhere in the country. Nice thing about buying a car online from out-of-state is that you don't pay sales tax. One of my friends bought his Ferrari last year this way: flew from Chicago to Florida, test drove it, bought it, and drove it back to Chicago. (Alas, being in Chicago, he has hardly driven the car since then. lol).

Whether I ultimately buy the Lambo or not (or more likely, join a time share), I like my F-Type R too much to give it up. I believe it gives you 90% of the same thrills as the Huracan and almost as many stares. Nice thing about the F-Type is that, unlike the Lambo, you can use it as a daily driver all year round (which I plan to do....thanks to AWD) and is much easier to live with in the real world. With the Lambo, you can't park and leave the car for too long without having a nervous breakdown.

Last edited by psb1013; 05-29-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i've never been a fan of the smaller lambo's, and prefer the look and image of the r8

i'm interested in the new R8 plus, they won't land here in Aus for another month or 2, so eager to take a drive

pricing here is my only stumbling block, 450k+ for a well optioned r8 plus, and they lose about half that value in first 2 years going off how the first gen r8 did

tbh jag depreciation isn't that good either, but it was also about half the cost

Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by psb1013
Whether I ultimately buy the Lambo or not (or more likely, join a time share), I like my F-Type R too much to give it up. I believe it gives you 90% of the same thrills as the Huracan and almost as many stares. Nice thing about the F-Type is that, unlike the Lambo, you can use it as a daily driver all year round (which I plan to do....thanks to AWD) and is much easier to live with in the real world. With the Lambo, you can't park and leave the car for too long without having a nervous breakdown.
I agree about the top-range F-Types delivering similar thrills -- at 40% of the price of a Huracan.

Still... the Huracan is alluring and intoxicating in a way that can't be captured in a spreadsheet calculation.

In any case I have definitely ruled out the Huracan Spyder. In the end, at 6'2" I just don't fit comfortably. But: I sat in a Huracan coupe today, and it feels considerably roomier than the Spyder. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the Huracan coupe without the sport interior is surprisingly comfortable, maybe even more so than an F-Type.

The Huracan 610-4 is AWD also. That's one of the things that attracts me... I don't feel like I'm getting enough out of my (RWD) F-Type V8S due to 7 months of rainy weather here, and so went looking for an upgrade with AWD being a key criteria. In the end for my personal needs it really boils down to a Huracan 610-4 or an AWD F-Type. I'm not so sure that a Huracan couldn't be a daily driver. My daily routine consists of a 6 mile drive from my garage to my employer's garage and back. The coupe would be better for a daily driver due better comfort and considerably better visibility.

My F-Type SVR has been built and I and cannot wait for it to arrive. The Huracan is more of a fantasy thing that I am investigating while waiting for the SVR to get here -- but as the GM at my dealer said, "sometimes fantasies can come true". Right he is!

Quick Reply: Traded in my R for a Huracan!...