F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in my R for a Huracan!...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BMo
Oh the agony! If I could afford a Huracan I would def trade in my beloved F-Type. Good thing there's no Lambo dealer close to me and the Ferrari guys in Portland are a$$holes. I am not tempted as much as you.
Only a 3 hour drive from Portland up the road to Bellevue Lamborghini .

Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by psb1013
Those are all valid points and I agree with most of them as I went on an extended test drive. As far as the cockpit being too cramped, I didn't think it was any worse than my F-type. Then again, me being only 5'9" tall is a big factor. The stereo system I agree is kind of crappy, but it's the same on Ferrari's. Then again, radios are irrelevant on Supercars when the engine and exhaust note are that good.

Supercars are essentially just weekend toys. They're only good for the occasional joyride. You can't go on errands with them or even go out to dinner in it. Can you imagine some valet trying to.park your exotic, or parking it yourself on some city street and worrying about it while you do your errand or during dinner?
I spent more quality time today sitting in a Spyder and coupe side by side... There are 2 main problems with the space in the Spyder:

(1) The seat cannot recline as much, due to bulkhead design to accommodate the top. The seat bottom may also travel back an inch or so less, but for me the main issue here was the recline. I just could not get comfortable.
(2) Even with the seat as far down as it can go, my eyes are aligned just above the top of the rear-view mirror. Ordinarily, reclining could mitigate this issue at least somewhat, but... see the previous point.

Neither of these are issues in the coupe. The seat recline is fine, and the seat sits low enough so that my eyes are aligned a bit below the rear-view mirror.

Another issue with both -- ingress and egress is PAINFUL. The F-Type can automatically move the steering wheel out of my way when I'm ready to get out. I never actually realized just how important that feature is... A $300K Huracan has only a manually-adjusted wheel, and my right knee doesn't fit under it even in its highest setting. I have to contort myself to get in and especially out.

I'm 6'2".

I already get freaked out dealing with parking issues with my F-Type and RRS SVR. We take my wife's car (Evoque) when going somewhere where I'm worried about parking .

Last edited by tai4de2; 05-30-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Nowdays, you can shop and ship any car from anywhere in the country. Nice thing about buying a car online from out-of-state is that you don't pay sales tax. One of my friends bought his Ferrari last year this way: flew from Chicago to Florida, test drove it, bought it, and drove it back to Chicago. (Alas, being in Chicago, he has hardly driven the car since then. lol).
You pay the tax in whatever State you register the car in. So you can't buy out of State to try and avoid paying sales tax in your State. This is for new and used vehicles.

The following 2 users liked this post by LynxFX:
mshedden (06-02-2016), Unhingd (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
You pay the tax in whatever State you register the car in. So you can't buy out of State to try and avoid paying sales tax in your State. This is for new and used vehicles.
Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you are registering a car for the first time, all states will charge the sales tax, whether you bought it there or not.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you are registering a car for the first time, all states will charge the sales tax, whether you bought it there or not.
We are saying the same thing so maybe you didn't mean to quote me?

Buying a Car Out of State | DMV.org
Even though you're buying a car from out of state, you'll pay the sales tax to the state in which you'll register the car—i.e. your home state.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
We are saying the same thing so maybe you didn't mean to quote me?
Well...at 3:12 in the morning, I clearly don't know what I'm saying our who I'm quoting.

Yes, we violently agree on the taxation issue.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I want to say that Montana is the lone exception on the automobile sales tax question.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 AM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

For me, the biggest objection to buying out-of-state, despite the lower prices, is after service. One of my friends bought an Aston Martin Vantage on Ebay a while ago from out-of-state, and later found out that none of the Aston dealers in the Chicago area want to service it. I rather pay a little more and buy a car from a local, reputable dealer where I can get good service and better care for my car.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM

I just an email from the Lambo dealer saying that they just got in a used 2012 Gallardo (LP 570-4) AWD Spyder (Performante edition).

Traded in my R for a Huracan!...-gallardo-spyder.jpg

They're asking $194K, which I think is overpriced. So they told me that they're willing to drop it down to the $160K's to match similar prices that I saw on Ebay.

It's not a Huracan but still a Lambo.....at this price, it becomes more attainable that's for sure. I've never driven a Gallardo so not sure how it compares.

idk......yay or nay?

Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I just an email from the Lambo dealer saying that they just got in a used 2012 Gallardo (LP 570-4) AWD Spyder (Performante edition).

Attachment 130848

They're asking $194K, which I think is overpriced. So they told me that they're willing to drop it down to the $160K's to match similar prices that I saw on Ebay.

It's not a Huracan but still a Lambo.....at this price, it becomes more attainable that's for sure. I've never driven a Gallardo so not sure how it compares.

idk......yay or nay?
Go drive it!

Old 05-30-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Overblown
Go drive it!
....and I just did! Surprised the dealership was open on Memorial day. Anyways, the car looked great in person. It was a 2012 but had only 1500 miles on it. However, it was unusual in that it had 2 previous owners. They hardly touched it, let alone drove it. Anyways, 10 sec. into the test drive, I knew this Gallardo was more "hard core" than the Huracan I drove a few days ago......harder/stiffer ride, louder exhaust.....much more so than the Huracan and much, much more than my R.......your spine takes a beating after a while.......and sadly, quite a few creaks and rattles. It really didn't soak up the bumps that well. Acceleration and handling were good, but didn't seem any better than my R. The brake pedals for some reason took a lot of effort to modulate. The interior was nice.....tons of carbon fiber everywhere, and the dash and seats were wrapped in a nice suede. However, compared to the Huracan's cabin (or even the F-Type's), it was quite dated. Steering wheel looked and felt cheap.

The lease numbers weren't good.....$3,400/mo. for 60 mo. (no money down) with $17K due at inception. (Surprising it was not much better than the Huracan's or even the 458's).

So after all this, I've come to the conclusion that my F-Type R is really a fantastic car! After punishing my back riding in the Gallardo, going into my R felt like a spa. The F-Type R stacks up so well against these exotics that I drove the last several days---Huracan, Gallardo Spyder, Ferrari 458---it's was really eye-opening and I've come to appreciate it so much more. My R gives me 90% of the same thrills as these cars for a third of the price. It rides so much better, has a much better stereo (my Meridian system has so far performed flawlessly), and gets almost as many stares out on the road. Not to mention parking it somewhere and not worrying your guts out.
Brilliant! Well done Jaguar!

Last edited by psb1013; 05-30-2016 at 02:07 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by psb1013:
DJS (05-30-2016), LobsterClaws (05-30-2016), Mbourne (05-30-2016), mikelanzetta (05-30-2016), tai4de2 (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:50 PM

From what I am seeing, the Sports Exhaust on the Huracan would be an absolute must for me. The car is just too quiet without it -- and possibly even with it.

I've gotten used to and come to really appreciate the F-Type's sound, and the SVR's exhaust is supposedly tweaked out even more than the existing Active Exhaust system we all know and love.

Jaguar really has hit a home run with the F-Type. The fact that we can credibly talk about it in the same sentence as a Lamborghini says a lot.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:00 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So after all this, I've come to the conclusion that my F-Type R is really a fantastic car! After punishing my back riding in the Gallardo, going into my R felt like a spa. The F-Type R stacks up so well against these exotics that I drove the last several days---Huracan, Gallardo Spyder, Ferrari 458---it's was really eye-opening and I've come to appreciate it so much more. My R gives me 90% of the same thrills as these cars for a third of the price. It rides so much better, has a much better stereo (my Meridian system has so far performed flawlessly), and gets almost as many stares out on the road. Not to mention parking it somewhere and not worrying your guts out.
Brilliant! Well done Jaguar!
And that sure is nice to hear!! Makes me feel good about my purchase for sure!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BMo
And that sure is nice to hear!! Makes me feel good about my purchase for sure!
+ 2.. me too.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

The brake pedals for some reason took a lot of effort to modulate....
The lease numbers weren't good.....$3,400/mo. for 60 mo. (no money down) with $17K due at inception.
How many brake pedals does it have?

$17k at inception is "money down".

Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
$17k at inception is "money down".

Correction, it's sales tax. (including first month's payment, license fee and document fee).

I don't know why you have to pay sales tax on a lease.

On my previous leases, I only paid first months payment and security deposit. I never paid sales tax. Must be on exotics (?)

Last edited by psb1013; 05-30-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Correction, it's sales tax. (including first month's payment, license fee and document fee).

I don't know why you have to pay sales tax on a lease.

On my previous leases, I only paid first months payment and security deposit. I never paid sales tax. Must be on exotics (?)
I believe in IL you pay they sales tax on the entire price of the car, which makes leasing there very unattractive.

(Either the above is true, or my buddy just got ripped off by the BMW dealership....lol)

Old 05-30-2016, 11:52 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I want to say that Montana is the lone exception on the automobile sales tax question.
Not the lone exception....don't forget Alaska..

Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
I believe in IL you pay they sales tax on the entire price of the car, which makes leasing there very unattractive.
I don't think it's an "Illinois thing." On all my previous leases --BMW's, Mercs, Audis, Porsche's--I never paid any sales tax prior to delivery. Even on my F-Type, prior to delivery when I discussed about a possible lease, no sales tax was mentioned in the numbers. Must be unique to this Lambo dealer or to the car's lease program.

Last edited by psb1013; 05-31-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I thought the sales tax was supposed to be paid as part of the monthly payment. The portion of the car depreciating each month is taxed accordingly. So a $2000 depreciation payment with 8% state sales tax would net $2,160 actual payment. That's the way it worked last time I leased a car.

Quick Reply: Traded in my R for a Huracan!...