F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in my R for a Huracan!...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I thought the sales tax was supposed to be paid as part of the monthly payment. The portion of the car depreciating each month is taxed accordingly. So a $2000 depreciation payment with 8% state sales tax would net $2,160 actual payment. That's the way it worked last time I leased a car.
depends on the state. some states require full sales tax upfront on a lease. texas does this for example.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am still seriously evaluating whether a Huracan or an F-Type SVR 'vert (on order, arriving in 6-8 weeks or so) is in my immediate future. I took my dealer's Huracan Spyder for another test drive today, this time a more extended outing on a typical route involving my home and office. (My local dealer is beyond incredible, BTW. I cannot imagine a better dealer experience. Same dealer group as JLR too, making the whole situation extra-double-incredible.)

I thought I had found a comfortable driving position despite the tight nature of the Spyder's cockpit. After a few minutes on my typical route, I had *almost* forgotten about the comfort issue.

However when we got back to the dealer and I jumped in my F-Type V8S to drive the same route home, I realized that honestly I had been lying to myself. The Huracan Spyder cockpit is well and truly just too small for me. There was also the issue of continually tilting my head due to being too high up (to see traffic lights etc.) In retrospect I was unable to truly relax when driving the Spyder due to this issue. I must reluctantly give up the dream of owning a Huracan Spyder.

So the question is whether I can give up having a convertible period, and consider a Huracan coupe. In an earlier test drive I found the coupe to be even more comfortable than an F-Type. But I like the option of open-air driving, and the F-Type SVR will be thrilling in its own right.

The F-Type SVR 'vert is the car of my dreams. The Huracan is the car of my fantasy. I'm struggling to determine which wins.

Last edited by tai4de2; 06-02-2016 at 12:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-16-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
There was also the issue of continually tilting my head due to being too high up (to see traffic lights etc.) .
This does not have to be an issue. On both of the MINIs, the roof extends so far forward and I sit back so far that you can't see any traffic lights that are not on the far side of the intersection. This is a great solution I have found: a Fresnel sheet

LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

Occasionally, seeing a traffic light is difficult in the Jag as well, and I will be ordering a Light-in-Sight for it as well.

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
DPelletier (06-02-2016), Mbourne (06-02-2016), SinF (07-16-2016), Smoke Em (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
This does not have to be an issue. On both of the MINIs, the roof extends so far forward and I sit back so far that you can't see any traffic lights that are not on the far side of the intersection. This is a great solution I have found: a Fresnel sheet

LightInSight - Windshield Mounted Traffic Light Lens

Occasionally, seeing a traffic light is difficult in the Jag as well, and I will be ordering a Light-in-Sight for it as well.
Wow, thanks for posting that; I find that I have to duck under the windshield frame or stretch to see over in the F type; annoying! I'm gonna order one of those; my only concern would be if it is distracting the rest of the time....cheap enough to find out, I suppose.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Wow, thanks for posting that; I find that I have to duck under the windshield frame or stretch to see over in the F type; annoying! I'm gonna order one of those; my only concern would be if it is distracting the rest of the time....cheap enough to find out, I suppose.

Cheers,
Dave
I never notice it unless I have to look up to use it. Even then, I have to remember it's there to use it.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

I never notice it unless I have to look up to use it. Even then, I have to remember it's there to use it.
Awesome; I'm gonna try it....in fact, now that I see that, I know I've seen something similar at the RV places; they use it on the back of truck camper door windows so you can see what's behind you... I'm going to check there first just out of curiosity.

Thanks again.

Dave

Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Awesome; I'm gonna try it....in fact, now that I see that, I know I've seen something similar at the RV places; they use it on the back of truck camper door windows so you can see what's behind you... I'm going to check there first just out of curiosity.

Thanks again.

Dave
Dave,
Those at the RV place for the rear windows may be a bit too large, but they might be easy to trim down. They are static cling, so they are easy to remove, but never fall off, either.
Lance

Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

...Yeah, they are square but I figured they'd be easy to trim into the shape.

Dave

Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Waiting for an F-Type SVR I ordered... I bought a Huracan this week, traded in my F-Type V8S for it.

When the SVR comes in I will still evaluate it, and make a decision about which one to keep.

Ask me anything.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The Huracan is my favorite car. There are just too many downsides to driving a true supercar. I can park an F-Type in most cases and not have to fret over who is messing with it. Plus being the center of attention isn't what it is cracked up to be.

If I was overly wealthy and had a six car garage a Huracan would be one of the cars though.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The Huracan is my favorite car. There are just too many downsides to driving a true supercar. I can park an F-Type in most cases and not have to fret over who is messing with it. Plus being the center of attention isn't what it is cracked up to be.

If I was overly wealthy and had a six car garage a Huracan would be one of the cars though.
+1 Agree on all points, love the car. congrats on the car. Posting any pics?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:45 AM

I can post some pics if it's not against forum rules?

Old 07-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, pics please!!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

I don't understand wanting a convertible in Seattle or Portland, but if having a top down is a huge deal I guess... just can't park either in too many places.

Out of the 80 or so cars I've owned only had two convertibles and one was vandalized/cut constantly.

Vert' or not -- you lead a very rough life! SVR and a Hurracan - you SOB! LOL! As Butthead once asked Mr Anderson: "I heard you have money. Can I have some? Hahaha

Originally Posted by tai4de2
The F-Type SVR 'vert is the car of my dreams. The Huracan is the car of my fantasy. I'm struggling to determine which wins.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-16-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

I m very respectful of what it is, but I just don't see the visual appeal of the Huracan.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Fortunately for me, this is only problem if it is raining. All other times it is quite easy to see with the top open.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not driven the newer Lambo's though the first time I drove a Gallardo my first thought what this thing feels like a Toyota Pickup truck. I considered it my obligation as a true lover of cars t fix it so I bought one turned into RWD rebalanced the suspension changed a few other things here and there and sent Lamborghini a very detained email with pictures and told them the car no longer felt like it weight 3 tons and was truly worthy of the term sports car. They of course ignored me, but a few years later my goodness they got a brilliant idea they came out with a RWD Gallardo of their own. I am no longer a fan of exotics, see no purpose in them other than look at me (being the way I am I do not like that), since most of them are no fun until you hit limits almost no owner ever does or has the skill to. I'd rather have a Miata at least I could have some fun with that. But to each his own I am at the been there done that stage of life when it comes to cars.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Carnut - there is the complete other end of the equation and that is driving a true POS beater.

It is like a social palate cleanser. Nothing better than parking anywhere you want, in the worse neighborhoods, next to the carts at the grocery store.

When I drive a new car I always have a little stress about it. A beater is a great stress reliever.

I had a 1964 Rambler with the hood tied down with a piece of rope. I could afford just about any new car, but damn - that car allowed me so much freedom.

A guy told me every material item we acquire in life limits our freedom in some way and I never forgot that - he was a Billionaire; Sam Naito here in Portland. He drove a beater gray Chevy station wagon right up to his death. Front st in Portland was renamed after him.

I realized the super wealthy often drive beaters and dress like bums - look at Adam Sandler LOL!

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If I could afford exotic cars, I am not sure I would. Instead, I would probably buy a large pod at the race track and build bells&whistles dedicated track car.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM

When my SVR comes I will evaluate it. I still love the F-Type.

Last edited by tai4de2; 07-17-2016 at 11:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tai4de2:
Burt Gummer (07-18-2016), Smoke Em (07-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Traded in my R for a Huracan!...