F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission not upshifting while in regular Drive -Intermittent problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission not upshifting while in regular Drive -Intermittent problem!

Hi everyone, I own a 2014 F Type V6 -S and I'm having an intermittent problem with the transmission for not shifting up to 2nd gear on it's own.
I will be driving the car in regular "D" mode and I will come to a stop. I will then step on the gas to get the car moving again and the transmission won't shift up the next gear. The car moves forward but won't shift to the next gear on its own. The engine will rev up to 5,000 or 6,000 rpm and still not shift into the next gear. To get it to shift up I have to quickly upshift manually with the paddle shifter which seems to get it back working again.
I initially thought maybe I touched the paddle shifter by accident and put it into temporary manual mode, but I'm definitely not after it keeps on happening when I know I didn't touch the paddle shifters.

It's a intermittent problem that will happen maybe once a week and seems to happen for no apparent reason. I brought it into the dealer a month ago and they did a software upgrade and that seemed to fix the problem for a few weeks but now it's starting to happen again.

The dealer said they never heard of this problem before when I first brought it in a month ago, so I don't know what they will say this time if it's not a software upgrade.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Are you in sport when this happens? And if not in sport, are we to assume that you've activated the paddles in regular drive mode (this is not factory default and requires mucking around in the settings)?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I keep my paddles activated to work in all modes because I prefer to occasionally downshift along w/ braking while in D mode. If you engage a paddle shift while in D, it will take awhile for the transmission to revert back to automatic shifts. That's normal.

You can also hold down the right paddle for a few seconds which will also shift it back to std auto. It's easy to enable and disable the paddles to work in D or not. Just go to settings in the steering wheel menu.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BenA
I initially thought maybe I touched the paddle shifter by accident and put it into temporary manual mode, but I'm definitely not after it keeps on happening when I know I didn't touch the paddle shifters.
If you definitely aren't touching the paddle, it could be a defective paddle switch triggering without normal input. Next time it happens, look to see if there is a small # (gear indicator) in the center gauge display near the edge of the screen. You did not specify which driving mode you were in, so keep in mind that you won't necessarily see the large # inside the white circle centered in the gauge display.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Depending on traffic conditions....this is something I would have my phone handy. Basically at every redlight/stop, I would film the car. The service technicians at the retailer and the engineers at corporate need something concrete to analyze. See if you can capture the shifter and the gauge cluster in the entire frame.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

happened to me yesterday. Here's what I noticed. My battery has been low for the whole weekend, but I decided to drive it anyway since the dealership was closed. It was raining cats and dogs and the streets were flooded.
I drove about 20 miles in hard rain, stopped the car for about 5 minutes and when I started the car I got a "gearbox fault" warning and my transmission was stuck on, what I believe 2nd or 3rd gear, sluggish to take off from lights and 45mph and 3-4000 rpms was all I could do. I had to drive couple of miles like that until I could pull over after which I turned off the car and restarted, no more gearbox fault but check engine light was on.... went to a party and after 2-3 hours there, started the car and no more check engine light. Funny thing is, the only fault code I could find after we came home was "cel link failure".... Could it be related to electrical problem i.e. low battery voltage and charge?
The car is going back to dealership for the low battery again today, I'll tell them about the "gearbox failure" also

Forgot to mention, tried to put the car on S to use the paddles, and also tried Dynamic and up shift/down shift from gear selector, no difference and would not change gears....

Last edited by Grumpy Finn; 05-30-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 05-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

In a different car in my past I had a faulty wheel speed sensor that caused the automatic transmission to lock into 2nd gear. That produced a CEL which ultimately led to the solution.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy Finn (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
.... Could it be related to electrical problem i.e. low battery voltage and charge?
Yes,
Many reports on this forum about a number of malfunctions and codes when the battery is not fully charged. Have you already tried disconnecting the battery for a few seconds (>10) to reset the Energy Control module?(sometimes resolves the low battery issue).

Old 05-30-2016, 05:10 PM

I did that the last time and made the mistake of charging the batt (2 days), that's why they didn't do anything. This time I want to take it to shop without fixing or charging it, battery seems to have gone down to about 20%, still starts fine with the "battery low, start...." message, also took pictures with dates of the fault messages. We'll see tomorrow

Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
I did that the last time and made the mistake of charging the batt (2 days), that's why they didn't do anything. This time I want to take it to shop without fixing or charging it, battery seems to have gone down to about 20%, still starts fine with the "battery low, start...." message, also took pictures with dates of the fault messages. We'll see tomorrow
Got it!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The transmission got stuck again 3 times in the last few days not shifting up to the next gear from stop position. I'm driving on regular Drive mode and Dynamic mode but not in "Sport" mode. When the gear gets stuck, there is no Gear circle in the center dash indicating I'm in "Sport/Manual" mode.
When it gets stuck, I quickly shift up using the paddle shifters to get it to the next gear, then I would hold down the right paddle shifter to put it back into regular Drive mode.
I have a dash cam, so next time it happens I will save the file.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM

Can you see if you have a CEL fault code as NATI suggested, I found one in mine. OBDII reader and Torque professional App can find it.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I keep my paddles activated to work in all modes because I prefer to occasionally downshift along w/ braking while in D mode. If you engage a paddle shift while in D, it will take awhile for the transmission to revert back to automatic shifts. That's normal.

You can also hold down the right paddle for a few seconds which will also shift it back to std auto. It's easy to enable and disable the paddles to work in D or not. Just go to settings in the steering wheel menu.
That's my understanding too; I have mine set up opposite; paddles only work in sport mode.

Dave