Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Tuning ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 11:58 AM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Transmission Tuning ....

Hi Guys,
I received an email from VIEZU company and thought to share it for what it's worth, for you to read the information.https://viezu.com/dsg-tcu-gearbox-tuning

Top Answer

03-29-2021, 02:35 PM
Stuart@VelocityAP
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Regardless, both transmission tunes are inherently dangerous
Totally false. You literally have no basis for making this claim. Please tell me specifically, citing technical information on the gearbox and the specific technical information about the changes we are making that makes it inherently dangerous.

lets not pretend that VAP tune is risk-free just because nobody reported in the past few months that it grenaded their gearbox.
100% Valid. Tuning & increasing the performance of your vehicle is never risk-free and that's something we are quite transparent about.

Inherently Dangerous & not Risk Free are not the same thing.

You know, it's pretty tiresome that every time someone mentions modifying their car that you feel the need to jump in and rag on the owner and companies who offer the products without providing any constructive technical information to support your opinion. It's like when someone talks about some wheels or visual modifications and gets run up one side and down the other because other owners don't share their taste. If you don't like tuning and don't want to take any risk, that's great. It's not for everyone. It's your car and you're entitled to do what you would like with it. Just the same as other owners can take educated risks with their vehicles which they own.

We're not snake oil salesmen. We don't lie to people or obfuscate the risks of tuning, including those to warranty coverage.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Yes...VAP has a TCU tune as well, that has been installed on many of our F-Types, and tested with no issues. It is more of a known commodity...No idea about the VIEZU version. If someone wants to be the test rabbit with their ~$19,000.00 ZF 8HP70 and try out the VIEZU version...I would love to hear their feedback/experience.

I am currently using the VAP ECU and TCU Tunes, and happy with both, as well as the support.

DC

VAP TCU Tune site for reference also

Old 03-28-2021, 01:49 PM
Received 197 Likes on 112 Posts
Default My thoughts ....

VIEZU provides a lot of detailed information about the tranny tune product, so I was thinking of how accurate the information is and if what is stated is true, how much added stress will that cause for the transmission. Ticking time bomb maybe ?

Old 03-28-2021, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Regardless, both transmission tunes are inherently dangerous, so lets not pretend that VAP tune is risk-free just because nobody reported in the past few months that it grenaded their gearbox.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Regardless, both transmission tunes are inherently dangerous, so lets not pretend that VAP tune is risk-free just because nobody reported in the past few months that it grenaded their gearbox.
I am not pretending anything is risk free, including starting or driving the cars. Just a link and the info I have on it. Buy it if you want it and/or can buy it, and don't buy it if you don't want it or can't buy it or risk it.

I chose to buy it and use it along with a bunch of other "dangerous" items. It is a car, not a legacy...If and when it blows, I will drive one of my others, or get a new one. I drive cars, and they do break and wear out.

If someone is too worried about it... Best to leave it stock....buy extended warranties... or park it. Those are the safest scenarios. There is always a risk/return relationship and an opportunity cost associated with everything we do...

DC

The following users liked this post:
datriani (11-06-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Its not rocket science. The harder and faster you make them shift the more heat they generate and the harder it is on everything it is connected too. Can you say toasty clutch packs. The shifts in Maserati Cambio Corsa was what I called violent. It was banging the gears hard but they last between 10 and 25K before a 10K rebuilt is required. I opted for a manual in the same Coupe GT. Sure I can speed shift it to get faster times but how long is the clutch and gear box going to last. Not very long. I was told the manual trans and clutch wont last either. 72,000 mile zero issues so it all depends on how you drive it. The gear box shifts plenty fast in the F Types. The Jag is not a drag car so I would worry more about the time you save braking correctly and hitting the late apex.

SinF (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:35 PM

Regardless, both transmission tunes are inherently dangerous
Totally false. You literally have no basis for making this claim. Please tell me specifically, citing technical information on the gearbox and the specific technical information about the changes we are making that makes it inherently dangerous.

lets not pretend that VAP tune is risk-free just because nobody reported in the past few months that it grenaded their gearbox.
100% Valid. Tuning & increasing the performance of your vehicle is never risk-free and that's something we are quite transparent about.

You know, it's pretty tiresome that every time someone mentions modifying their car that you feel the need to jump in and rag on the owner and companies who offer the products without providing any constructive technical information to support your opinion. It's like when someone talks about some wheels or visual modifications and gets run up one side and down the other because other owners don't share their taste. If you don't like tuning and don't want to take any risk, that's great. It's not for everyone. It's your car and you're entitled to do what you would like with it. Just the same as other owners can take educated risks with their vehicles which they own.

We're not snake oil salesmen. We don't lie to people or obfuscate the risks of tuning, including those to warranty coverage.

www.velocityap.com

The following 11 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
(BMW)Doctor (03-30-2024), datriani (11-06-2021), ferrral (03-29-2021), Fireze22 (11-06-2021), George Smith (11-04-2021), Panthro (06-22-2024), Reaxions (11-22-2021), RichardCranium (03-31-2021), Sparky H (11-05-2021), ss23 (03-31-2021), Therock88 (03-29-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP

Thanks for that Stuart...Exactly what I was trying to say above. And even went as far as to say that starting and driving the cars is risky! Hell there is **** exploding under the hood! And metal grinding gears together...And I do believe those high pressure GDI injectors have enough pressure to kill someone under the right conditions

I simply try to post my experience (FIRST HAND) for the posters asking questions, and there are usually a few that ALWAYS have an opposing view!

Also...I must be the ONLY person on this forum, or that owns a Jaguar that did not major in Auto Engineering in Undergrad or Graduate school...because most that have an opposing view can back it up with their Engineering prowess...Haha

Take care...and keep the upgrades coming....I think there are enough of us on here that actually drive the cars and take a few risks with upgrades...

DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
datriani (11-06-2021), ferrral (03-29-2021), Panthro (06-22-2024)
Old 03-29-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Totally false. You literally have no basis for making this claim. Please tell me specifically, citing technical information ...
It is one thing to sell tunes to people willing to take risks by taking their cars past recommended specs. It is another thing to deny the very obvious - your transmission tune will lead to premature wear, clutch disk failures and differential failures.

If it is totally false, why don't you offer drivetrain warranty matching OEM warranty with your transmission tunes? I left your advertisement thread alone, but would be happy to continue where we left off.

T
You know, it's pretty tiresome that every time someone mentions modifying their car that you feel the need to jump in and rag on the owner and companies who offer the products without providing any constructive technical information to support your opinion.
You know, it is pretty tiresome that every time someone post technical details, you threaten to sue them. So no, I am not going to go past stating my outside-view opinion of your products and your company.

Last edited by SinF; 03-29-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:15 PM

It is one thing to sell tunes to people willing to take risks by taking their cars past recommended specs.

If it is totally false, why don't you offer warranty with your tunes?
If you send us the car for a full & complete inspection we're happy to cover any loss of OEM warranty, if there's any damage as a result of tuning. Since we deal with 1000's of people all over the world and don't know the condition, mileage or provenance of each one of those vehicles we cannot extend that universally. We would not warranty an engine/drivetrain beyond what the OEM considered its normal warranty period.

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-29-2021, 07:21 PM

It is one thing to sell tunes to people willing to take risks by taking their cars past recommended specs. It is another thing to deny the very obvious - your transmission tune will lead to premature wear, clutch disk failures and differential failures.

If it is totally false, why don't you offer drivetrain warranty matching OEM warranty with your transmission tunes? I left your advertisement thread alone, but would be happy to continue where we left off.
So are you able to provide any technical information on the gearbox and the specific technical information about the changes we are making that makes it inherently dangerous? I don't have any problem with your personal preferences on your own car, but you're stating that it is inherently dangerous, and you're not providing any technical reasoning to back up your opinion. What do you know about our product that you feel makes it inherently dangerous? Or are you just lobbing hand grenades because you personally don't like the idea of tuning?

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-29-2021, 07:28 PM

I'm struggling to respond here at the rate you're editing your posts but I'll try....

It is another thing to deny the very obvious - your transmission tune will lead to premature wear
Who is denying this? We always tell people that tuning & modifications can lead to increased wear rates on components?

clutch disk failures and differential failures.
You're welcome to speculate on that but you're just throwing spitballs. Again, we're up front about the risks of tuning, you're concluding, on your own, that any modifications are going to wreck parts left right & center. So If I tune my V8S up to SVR 575BHP calibration that somehow is going to destroy my car? It doesn't work like that.

So no, I am not going to go past stating my outside-view opinion of your products and your company.
Charles?

www.velocityap.com

(BMW)Doctor (03-30-2024)
Old 03-29-2021, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

What I read from the information that you posted, and only that, is that you changed shift points and reduced shift times in your tune. You didn't post this, but I also speculate that you increased torque limits and removed shift delays. You could have also changed parameters for locking. These are common tuning techniques used by other tuners and are in no way a proprietary know-how, so it is appropriate to discuss these technique in a generic tuning application. All of the above will put substantial wear and tear on gearing and clutches within transmission, reducing its life. It would also put additional stress on differentials, specifically a weak point in F-types. Specifically in case of clutches, if transmission shifts too rapidly it could induce slippage, and just like with a manual transmission this leads to excessive wear every time transmission shifts.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

These ZF 8HP 70s are used in all of these cars:

BMW 7 Series (F01/F02), BMW X5 50i (E70), BMW 5 series (F10/11), BMW 3 Series (F30) 330d and 335d, Dodge Durango V8, Iveco Daily, Jaguar F-Type (V6 and V8), Jaguar XE 35t, Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L 8-cyl Engine Code [T] EZH (2014 -), Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L 8-cyl Engine Code [J] ESG (2014 -), Jeep Grand Cherokee V8, Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel (2014-2016), Ram 1500 V6, V8, & diesel, Range Rover Sport (2012), Rolls-Royce Phantom, Maserati Quattroporte (2013–), Dodge Charger V8 (2015-), Volkswagen Amarok V6 TDI 550, Dodge Challenger V8 (2015-), Aston Martin Vanquish (2015), Aston Martin Rapide S (2015),[18] Alpina B3 (F30/31), Alpina B4 (F32/33), Great Wall Haval H9

No way they all use the same shift strategy in every one of them... In fact if you do some research, that is one of the reasons these transmissions are in so many cars (among other reasons, like fuel economy, engineering, and size). They allow the automakers a ton of flexibility in which shift strategy to use for their application.

(BMW)Doctor (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:45 AM

What I read from the information that you posted, and only that, is that you changed shift points and reduced shift times in your tune. You didn't post this, but I also speculate that you increased torque limits and removed shift delays. You could have also changed parameters for locking. These are common tuning techniques used by other tuners and are in no way a proprietary know-how, so it is appropriate to discuss these technique in a generic tuning application. All of the above will put substantial wear and tear on gearing and clutches within transmission, reducing its life. It would also put additional stress on differentials, specifically a weak point in F-types. Specifically in case of clutches, if transmission shifts too rapidly it could induce slippage, and just like with a manual transmission this leads to excessive wear every time transmission shifts.
All of the above will put increased wear and tear on the items you mentioned. Substantial.... I don't know how to quantify that but we are talking about marginal step change increases/decreases in parameters you're referring to. It's likely people will see increased wear rates of some of those components. It's also likely that under moderate use, slippage can be lowered and see less wear. Either way, I have no issue with you pointing out increased wear and tear based on modifications. Those are reasonable comments and things we encourage our customers to consider. We do not feel that the wear incurred for this product will be 'substantial' and certainly that it is far from being considered 'inherently dangerous'.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
(BMW)Doctor (03-30-2024), Therock88 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart, I poorly chose my words. When I said "transmission tunes are inherently dangerous" I did not intended to create impression that otherwise working transmission would immediately grenade after applying a tune. I should have said "that are risk associated with a tune". I also shouldn't have said "both", as my intent was to speak generically about tunes, not about VAP tune specifically.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Perhaps, I haven't been around long enough, but I don't recall seeing any auto transmission failure posts on this board, tuned or not. My impression is that the ZF8 has a reputation as being bulletproof. Of course some fail but this particular transmission seems to be one of the least failure prone components on the car. When the end comes for most F-types, what remains will be a melted aluminum exoskeleton, the roaches, and the ZF8.

However, the point regarding the differential failing downstream is well taken.

The following 2 users liked this post by ferrral:
F-Type-Type (03-31-2021), Therock88 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:32 PM
Thumbs up

Stuart, I poorly chose my words. When I said "transmission tunes are inherently dangerous" I did not intended to create impression that otherwise working transmission would immediately grenade after applying a tune. I should have said "that are risk associated with a tune". I also shouldn't have said "both", as my intent was to speak generically about tunes, not about VAP tune specifically.
No worries.

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-30-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ferrral
Perhaps, I haven't been around long enough, but I don't recall seeing any auto transmission failure posts on this board, tuned or not. My impression is that the ZF8 has a reputation as being bulletproof. Of course some fail but this particular transmission seems to be one of the least failure prone components on the car. When the end comes for most F-types, what remains will be a melted aluminum exoskeleton, the roaches, and the ZF8.

However, the point regarding the differential failing downstream is well taken.
There are people running the ZF8HP70 in Dodge applications, with lots of Mods and 700WHP on drag radials. That's a whole other end of the spectrum for wear & tear but even that sort of abuse has seen the transmissions stand up very well to some of the most demanding conditions.

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
F-Type-Type (03-31-2021), ferrral (03-30-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am of the understanding that operating the clutch packs more quickly, actually producers less heat and less wear.?. I think of it like the brakes when locked up, don’t get hot and when they are not applied, they don’t get hot. Electronics use this idea when variable power needs to be delivered to say an electric motor, when variable speed is required. Its called pulse width modulation(PWM). Also used in switch mode power supply’s (SMPS). Voltage regulators to replace linear regulators, which get hot, I could go on!

(BMW)Doctor (03-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Transmission Tuning ....