Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tree sap on Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tree sap on Paint

All,
This is my first post. I drove my newly purchased F-Type over the weekend to a local waterpark, inadvertently parked under a tree and got a small amount of pinetree sap dropped on the hood. I spotted it the next day, removed the sap, rinsed, etc. There was still a very small bump where I removed the sap, and I thought there was still a small smudge of sap remaining. I had it at my local Jaguar dealership this morning getting an O2 sensor replaced and the tech offered to use a thinner to get off the remaining sap. He told me that I more than likely removed all of the sap the night before, but that it had caused the clearcoat to bubble, and this was the remaining bump that I was feeling. He said with time, the bump should subside, and the "clear coat will repair itself." His words, not mine. Is this more or less right? Is there anything I can do to further treat the spot? From 99% of angles, the spot is not visible. You've got to be down down at eye-level with the hood to see the blemish.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Received 223 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by pdwiggin
All,
This is my first post. I drove my newly purchased F-Type over the weekend to a local waterpark, inadvertently parked under a tree and got a small amount of pinetree sap dropped on the hood. I spotted it the next day, removed the sap, rinsed, etc. There was still a very small bump where I removed the sap, and I thought there was still a small smudge of sap remaining. I had it at my local Jaguar dealership this morning getting an O2 sensor replaced and the tech offered to use a thinner to get off the remaining sap. He told me that I more than likely removed all of the sap the night before, but that it had caused the clearcoat to bubble, and this was the remaining bump that I was feeling. He said with time, the bump should subside, and the "clear coat will repair itself." His words, not mine. Is this more or less right? Is there anything I can do to further treat the spot? From 99% of angles, the spot is not visible. You've got to be down down at eye-level with the hood to see the blemish.
This might sound weird, but it may actually get better over time - some sap and some bird droppings will stain paint and some will actually eat through the paint - any southerners know about "love bugs" and the damage they can cause. I would wait a little and see what it does and then maybe use some paint correction compound and a good buffer. I had a large bird spot on the fender of one of my other cars and it left a paint "stain". I used some polishing compound and the my normal regular compound, one-step polish and then light polish/glaze etc and it looks perfect. Always good to get that stuff asap, but sap can do damage pretty quickly.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by pdwiggin
All,
Sorry to hear about your issue. In the future if you get sap, Mineral Spirits or something like PPG Reducer (won't hurt cured paint) with a soft microfiber...Then immediately re-coat with Wax or Ceramic or whatever you had on there.

On the tech's comments, my opinion is unfortunately it does not make sense...Metal is etched, primer sticks to metal, paint sticks to primer, and clear stick to the paint. If it (Clear) is bubbled up, I do not see how it would repair itself as it no longer has adhesion to the paint. Good news is, it sounds minor, so maybe livable, or possible minimized by a detailer if it is not truly bubbled up.

Good luck,
DC

Old 08-18-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Sorry to hear about your issue. In the future if you get sap, Mineral Spirits or something like PPG Reducer (won't hurt cured paint) with a soft microfiber...Then immediately re-coat with Wax or Ceramic or whatever you had on there.

On the tech's comments, my opinion is unfortunately it does not make sense...Metal is etched, primer sticks to metal, paint sticks to primer, and clear stick to the paint. If it (Clear) is bubbled up, I do not see how it would repair itself as it no longer has adhesion to the paint. Good news is, it sounds minor, so maybe livable, or possible minimized by a detailer if it is not truly bubbled up.

Good luck,
DC
DC, you're my guy, but I have respectfully disagree. I have worked in paint and coatings for years - everything from cars to houses, garage and shop floors to commercial applications. Although paint is applied to a surface, impurities can lay in between resulting in poor adhesion. although not visible under normal circumstances, a water or chemical interface can cause paint to bubble and in some cases, the bubbles will recede over time - in others, they are basically blisters and need to be sanded and re-coated. That's also why some cars paint looks great after 20 years and the same model car, built three days later looks like alligator skin in 3. To be clear, I have not seen the OP's car and am not suggesting that is the case with his situation, but it is absolutely possible - I have seen it with floor epoxies, swimming pool paints, interior paint (paint over top of un-primed and freshly sanded joint compound and you will see bubbles) and automotive applications. A couple weeks ago, I replaced the stainless bumper protector on my VW, pulled it off and it looked okay - by the time got the remaining adhesive off, there were blisters all over. a couple days later almost all were gone but a few remained, but they are covered by the new sill so no lost sleep, but strange none-the-less because where the blisters were was covered but had no adhesive near them. Another example, I had Vossen custom paint and build some wheels for me - prior to them becoming as big they are now and they looked great - they even showed them on their website bragging about their custom paint match work. I had the tires mounted and put the rims on and washed the car - about an hour later the paint was bubbling around the center caps - I even have pictures somewhere - Concerned, I called and they were going to re-finish them, but after a day, they went away and after like 8 years never returned. Stranger things man....

Old 08-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
DC, you're my guy, but I have respectfully disagree. I have worked in paint and coatings for years - everything from cars to houses, garage and shop floors to commercial applications. Although paint is applied to a surface, impurities can lay in between resulting in poor adhesion. although not visible under normal circumstances, a water or chemical interface can cause paint to bubble and in some cases, the bubbles will recede over time - in others, they are basically blisters and need to be sanded and re-coated. That's also why some cars paint looks great after 20 years and the same model car, built three days later looks like alligator skin in 3. To be clear, I have not seen the OP's car and am not suggesting that is the case with his situation, but it is absolutely possible - I have seen it with floor epoxies, swimming pool paints, interior paint (paint over top of un-primed and freshly sanded joint compound and you will see bubbles) and automotive applications. A couple weeks ago, I replaced the stainless bumper protector on my VW, pulled it off and it looked okay - by the time got the remaining adhesive off, there were blisters all over. a couple days later almost all were gone but a few remained, but they are covered by the new sill so no lost sleep, but strange none-the-less because where the blisters were was covered but had no adhesive near them. Another example, I had Vossen custom paint and build some wheels for me - prior to them becoming as big they are now and they looked great - they even showed them on their website bragging about their custom paint match work. I had the tires mounted and put the rims on and washed the car - about an hour later the paint was bubbling around the center caps - I even have pictures somewhere - Concerned, I called and they were going to re-finish them, but after a day, they went away and after like 8 years never returned. Stranger things man....
You absolutely cannot disagree with me. It is immoral, unethical and I think it may even be a sin (looking for the chapter in scripture as I type) No worries.... As I said "I do not see how it would repair itself as it no longer has adhesion to the paint.". Not saying it is not possible, and while I am fairly well versed on many automotive topics, I would not consider myself a PAINT expert...So I guess it is not impossible, but I have never seen it correct itself. As you say...Stranger Things.

Hopefully for the OP's sake it does correct itself...

DC

Old 08-18-2020, 08:41 PM

Again, it won’t fix itself; but I have seen paint bubble, ripple, and do other things and eventually recede, but make no mistake, it will not self-repair. Also, I would almost rather have scratches that can repaired than sap - it is literally one of the worst things for paint.

I would go on but I am going to sleep shortly and I plan to allow extra time to atone for my
previous post......

Old 08-19-2020, 01:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for highjacking this post, but I just experienced the same, but on the fabric of my red rooftop, right on the top of the driver's head. I now have 3 little spots to stare at as I dive in the car. So far I tried to rinse abundantly with hot water while tapping with absorbing paper. It helps a bit, but marks are still to be seen. Anyone has some experience with that?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:31 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by rwanou
Sorry for highjacking this post, but I just experienced the same, but on the fabric of my red rooftop, right on the top of the driver's head. I now have 3 little spots to stare at as I dive in the car. So far I tried to rinse abundantly with hot water while tapping with absorbing paper. It helps a bit, but marks are still to be seen. Anyone has some experience with that?
Try using 303 Convertible Top Cleaner. Works a charm, but I haven't had sap to clean off.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,110 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Try scrubbing it with a convertible roof fabric cleaner and a horsehair brush. I do this when I reproof the roof annually, with 303’s kit.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-19-2020, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Tree sap....another reason to have a ceramic/quartz coating applied. I have had a couple of instances where I collected some tree sap. No issue whatsoever removing it after a few days with a detailing polish.

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (08-20-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Tree sap....another reason to have a ceramic/quartz coating applied. I have had a couple of instances where I collected some tree sap. No issue whatsoever removing it after a few days with a detailing polish.
+1 for prevention - Spending some time and money up front saves a lot more of both later - not to mention that once its damaged, it will never be like new again. Aggravation costs can not be quantified or monetized adequately especially for the OCD Club which appears to be well-represented in this forum (see center cap alignment....) - that was for you Lance!!

Old 08-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I managed to clean it. Since I'm in EU, I don't know if I have access to 303, but in Benelux we do have HG (NL brand from what I understand). I bought a small bottle of resin/wax/tar remover over fabric. It's worthy to note that it was a rather warm day (around 30°C), I'm not sure the operation would have been as easy in the cold.

So I put some of the product on a microfibre cloth, lightly rubbed and tapped the spot and quickly try to absorb some of the product/dirt with an absorbing paper. I then rinsed abundantly the product with warm water and that was it, spots gone.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rwanou
I managed to clean it. Since I'm in EU, I don't know if I have access to 303, but in Benelux we do have HG (NL brand from what I understand). I bought a small bottle of resin/wax/tar remover over fabric. It's worthy to note that it was a rather warm day (around 30°C), I'm not sure the operation would have been as easy in the cold.

So I put some of the product on a microfibre cloth, lightly rubbed and tapped the spot and quickly try to absorb some of the product/dirt with an absorbing paper. I then rinsed abundantly the product with warm water and that was it, spots gone.

Temperature can be as important as the cleaner and always good to treat the rest of the roof - I have seen numerous convertibles that had spots that showed more wear or were slightly discolored from scrubbing one spot.Like any strain or scratch - always start with the most mild approach.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Had my cat quartz/ceramic coated 3 years ago. Easy to clean, bird droppings, road tar, dirt wash off easily. I was backing my car out of the garage the other day so my wife can get in (I always park close to the passenger side to avoid door dings from/to my wife's car}. She commented "what's on the side of the car?" I said it's just dirty because I haven't washed the car for a while. She said it doesn't look like dirt, it looks like the paint is peeling. I walked around to the passenger side and the paint was peeling. Some A**hole sprayed the side of my car with paint remover. I played back where I had been and came to the conclusion it must have happened when I was at the hardware store. When we returned, my wife walked into the garage and said what's that on the shelf. I had a can of spray paint remover on the shelf and it had exploded on the side facing my car and sprayed paint remover all over the side of my car. As it turns out, I am the A**hole who sprayed the side of my car with paint remover. Let this be a warning, pressurized spray cans can explode above 110*F. Please check your garage to make sure something like this doesn't happen to you. My car is insured and it's going in Monday to be repaired and repainted. Fortunately my deductible is $100. The total cost is going to be around $6,000 and take 2 weeks. I'll post pictures later.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
Had my cat quartz/ceramic coated 3 years ago. Easy to clean, bird droppings, road tar, dirt wash off easily. I was backing my car out of the garage the other day so my wife can get in (I always park close to the passenger side to avoid door dings from/to my wife's car}. She commented "what's on the side of the car?" I said it's just dirty because I haven't washed the car for a while. She said it doesn't look like dirt, it looks like the paint is peeling. I walked around to the passenger side and the paint was peeling. Some A**hole sprayed the side of my car with paint remover. I played back where I had been and came to the conclusion it must have happened when I was at the hardware store. When we returned, my wife walked into the garage and said what's that on the shelf. I had a can of spray paint remover on the shelf and it had exploded on the side facing my car and sprayed paint remover all over the side of my car. As it turns out, I am the A**hole who sprayed the side of my car with paint remover. Let this be a warning, pressurized spray cans can explode above 110*F. Please check your garage to make sure something like this doesn't happen to you. My car is insured and it's going in Monday to be repaired and repainted. Fortunately my deductible is $100. The total cost is going to be around $6,000 and take 2 weeks. I'll post pictures later.
Unfortunate but well stated word of caution. I have a few cans out in mine because I’m always touching something up and some of my hobbies require paint. I’m currently working on y P7 grill surround, but am always careful with cans, even if it’s just to keep them from falling off and spraying etc. my garage is climate controlled, but I generally keep my cans in the basement where it’s cooler in the summer. I just finished reading your post to my significant other who was laughing because I keep my VW Parked close to the wall so she can’t open up her monster truck doors on it.

best of luck getting the paint worked out and btw, I’m in Indy was well- don’t see many f-types around.