F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charger pigtail install for 16 R

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:25 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Trickle charger pigtail install for 16 R

I read through a few trickle charger threads, but they all seem to have been made prior to the R-model with the single battery. Is it safe to attach a trickle charger lead directly to the battery rather than the power bus? Also - is there a procedure to disconnect/reconnect the battery if I do have to mount the leads to the bus that won't negatively affect any of the electronics? Or can I just pull the - lead off the battery like a normal car? Thanks guys!

Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I added a trickle charger to my 2016 V6S using the instructions found in the previously offered Jaguar Trickle charger instruction manual. It was easy and I figured it that is how Jaguar wanted it done, it was likely better than going directly to battery. My convertible is in storage all winter. Trickle charge seems to work well. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 16R Coupe, and use the CTEK comfort panel. It is connected as the jag charger to the fuse box and earthing point next to the battery. Constantly plugged / unplugged and has been working fine for the last two years. :-)

Old 07-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by lpf4
I read through a few trickle charger threads, but they all seem to have been made prior to the R-model with the single battery. Is it safe to attach a trickle charger lead directly to the battery rather than the power bus? Also - is there a procedure to disconnect/reconnect the battery if I do have to mount the leads to the bus that won't negatively affect any of the electronics? Or can I just pull the - lead off the battery like a normal car? Thanks guys!
I have been using a few different trickle chargers on several of my Porsches and Jaguar F-Type now and always connect them to battery...No issues at all on any of them so far. Just as a data point. Do it however you are comfortable doing it though.

DC

Old 08-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a two battery XK8 and a XJ8 and I use the pigtail attached directly to the battery on both - no issues

Old 08-27-2021, 03:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdG
I added a trickle charger to my 2016 V6S using the instructions found in the previously offered Jaguar Trickle charger instruction manual. It was easy and I figured it that is how Jaguar wanted it done, it was likely better than going directly to battery. My convertible is in storage all winter. Trickle charge seems to work well. Good luck.
Maybe I'm dumb but I can't seem to find this "Jaguar Trickle charger instruction manual" anywhere online.

I have a Ctek tender from when I had a C6 corvette and it is the same unit as the Jaguar one. I have the harness with the eyelets, the alligator clip harness, and the Cigar lighter harness (which worked on the C6, don't know if the cigar lighter is on constant power circuit in the F-type). I would like to hook up the eyelet harness like Jaguar does it.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Brg2019
Maybe I'm dumb but I can't seem to find this "Jaguar Trickle charger instruction manual" anywhere online.

I have a Ctek tender from when I had a C6 corvette and it is the same unit as the Jaguar one. I have the harness with the eyelets, the alligator clip harness, and the Cigar lighter harness (which worked on the C6, don't know if the cigar lighter is on constant power circuit in the F-type). I would like to hook up the eyelet harness like Jaguar does it.
There are threads about connecting the CTEK on here and the UK F-type site, some as Jaguar does it, others just leaving a flylead to connect the unit to, either in the front right wheel well or in the trunk. And the cigar lighter (or 12V power socket if you don't have the smokers' pack!) is ignition switched on the F-Type so not live when the car is off.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

For my 2021 F Type I attached the pigtail to the bus bar on the floor of the hatch. I also bored a small hole in the floor of the storage insert for the pigtail to poke through. When I want to use the CTEK, I just slide the flat cover piece that is over the storage compartment insert a few inches forward and the pigtail connector is right there.

Here is a very helpful tutorial on hooking up the pigtail to the bus bar:
https://howtune.com/articles/548-ins...-jaguar-f-type

How I routed the pigtail

The following users liked this post:
Brg2019 (08-29-2021)