Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky situation with discharged F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 05:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tricky situation with discharged F-Type

Hello everybody,

Please I need some advice, tried to collect some information from the forum, but it didn't help much.

My car has been parked in my underground garage since last October (10 months already)
Nobody had access to it, hence no attempts to launch it have been made

Currently there are no signs of life when I try to start the car, luckily I still have access to the interior and to the hood.
It will be quite complicated to tow it to the dealer, so I have some questions:

1. Since both batteries are probably dead, I don't have access to the trunk battery until I do something with the one under the hood. Is that correct?
2. I've read that even if I have a charger, it won't help because big amount of time has passed and the batteries need replacement, am I right?
3. How easy is it to replace the batteries (especially the one under the hood) myself? From the first sight doesn't look like an easy task.
4. How easy is it to find a generic battery for the hood or is it something specific that should be bought from the dealer ?

I want to understand the order and find the easiest solution. Let's say, is it possible to apply external current from the charger to the hood battery, then open the trunk, then replace the trunk battery only, and hope that the one under the hood will charge itself

Thank you!

Last edited by Nznoonee; 07-10-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:30 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Nznoonee,
A few things: There is no battery under the hood, but there are battery jumper terminals. In the trunk, the early cars have a main battery and a smaller battery which powers the auto start/stop. Later cars have only a main battery.
I would try putting a charger on the main battery at least overnight and see what happens. If that fails, replace the main battery with a fully charged new one. It is not a difficult job. Replacement batteries in the correct size are widely available. I’m sure your local Jaguar dealer has one too, though likely at a premium price.
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2023, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by stirlingsilver
Nznoonee,
There is no battery under the hood, but there are battery jumper terminals
What a surprise, thank you!

Though I need another car or a device to open the trunk ? No way to open it mechanically with the dead battery?
My car is 2017 MY

Old 07-10-2023, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

If the battery is really flat then connecting up a battery maintainer to the under-hood charging points probably won't work to get enough charge into the battery to pop the trunk.
Someone here recently had the same problem and what worked for them was to connect a known good battery with jumper cables to the under-hood charging points, that way they were able to pop the trunk and fit a new battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Michael211 (07-10-2023), scm (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
If the battery is really flat then connecting up a battery maintainer to the under-hood charging points probably won't work to get enough charge into the battery to pop the trunk.
Someone here recently had the same problem and what worked for them was to connect a known good battery with jumper cables to the under-hood charging points, that way they were able to pop the trunk and fit a new battery.
Thank you. This way, I'd better buy a fitting one, open trunk with it, and use it as a replacement afteerwards

Old 07-10-2023, 07:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
i was confused because you mention Batteries and not one battery so found this on youtube, have a look from 2 mins in
Get something similar to the smaller models of these jumpstarters, good to have anyway: https://autofella.com/best-jump-starter/
Connect to the charging ports shown in the video, now you can unlock the boot and change the battery yourself or maybe start the car and drive to the dealer and get the battery replaced.

Br

Old 07-10-2023, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by RushHourXJR
Hi
i was confused because you mention Batteries and not one battery so found this on youtube, have a look from 2 mins in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZ02YkKpIg
Get something similar to the smaller models of these jumpstarters, good to have anyway: https://autofella.com/best-jump-starter/
Connect to the charging ports shown in the video, now you can unlock the boot and change the battery yourself or maybe start the car and drive to the dealer and get the battery replaced.

Br
Thanks a lot!

Old 07-10-2023, 08:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Note that some jumpstart packs won’t work with a completely dead battery, they need some voltage present, as do battery maintainers. A regular battery charger may work, if you want to try resurrecting the battery. Or jumpstarting with jump cables from a running car to the front jump points may work.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:14 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

And once you have some charge in the "dead" battery, you could use a battery maintainer to recondition it, assuming your device has such a facility. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2023, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I would not assume that the old battery is dead - it may just be discharged over time. Put a power source on the under hood terminals and you can pop the trunk. (Another battery, a battery charger, battery maintainer (with the notation OzXFR made that a CTEK may not engage with a totally flat battery), jump to another car. Next, try to give the old battery a good, long charge (long drive, charger, CTEK). For the future, get a CTEK to maintain the battery when it's not regularly in use. Check out the sticky "How To" thread for instructions to make connections easier. If your current battery doesn't charge/hold properly, or is getting old (say 5 years, or so), you can proceed with replacement. Not difficult, other than it's a bit of a tight space and the battery is heavy. BTW, with a power interruption, you'll find that the auto up/down on the windows needs to be reset. (Again, in the "How To")

Old 07-10-2023, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Only the 2015 and earlier models have two batteries, and those were both in the trunk.

When my completely discharged due to the dreaded ODBII issue, I hooked up a battery charger to the points under the hood and was able to then pop the trunk in about ten minutes.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Been doing a lot of work on the car since spring and have shut my trunk when the battery is disconnected at least 4 times....because I'm an idiot. Simplest way to get in is to take a garden rake and hook the emergency release at the back of the trunk. Works like a charm.

The following users liked this post:
stirlingsilver (07-13-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Been doing a lot of work on the car since spring and have shut my trunk when the battery is disconnected at least 4 times....because I'm an idiot. Simplest way to get in is to take a garden rake and hook the emergency release at the back of the trunk. Works like a charm.
Unless you have the convertible.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
I've considered making an interior extension of the emergency release with some bicycle brake cable but just haven't had the time or motivation to follow through. I've got so many projects ahead of that in the queue that I may never get to it.

The following users liked this post:
Thunderjet Racing (07-11-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I've considered making an interior extension of the emergency release with some bicycle brake cable but just haven't had the time or motivation to follow through. I've got so many projects ahead of that in the queue that I may never get to it.
I've thought about this as well but tape over the trunk latch is now my first step in any project that might involve disconnecting the battery. stops me from being an idiot.