F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true what I read about the manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Well, I don't know really. Can I find out from the VIN?

If I look up the VIN at osh.jaguar.com at least start of warranty was 31/08/2016 and it is a MY2017.

I believe the manufacture date is shown on one of the door/door jam labels.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I can kind of understand how engineering decisions are made based on a set of assumptions (the F will have an automatic transmission) and then when the marketing department comes in and says we want to do a manual transmission there are consequences, but I am dismayed that the engineers needed FOUR attempts to get a clutch that would work. That doesn't speak well of the talent level at JLR. When I was buying the F, there was always an answer. It doesn't have voice control because it is so loud, or it doesn't have that because the 911 doesn't. I enjoy the car tremendously, but I think at the end of the day JLR is a pretty skimpy operation.

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (04-06-2021)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Well, I don't know really. Can I find out from the VIN?

If I look up the VIN at osh.jaguar.com at least start of warranty was 31/08/2016 and it is a MY2017.
What are the last 5 digits of your VIN?

Old 03-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
but I am dismayed that the engineers needed FOUR attempts to get a clutch that would work. That doesn't speak well of the talent level at JLR.
You do realize that JLR did not design or manufacture the clutch or transmission, right? The fault lies with the talent level of their supplier - unless, of course, JLR specified a clutch unit that would fail. Somehow I doubt that this was in the specification brief.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=sov211;2209734]You do realize that JLR did not design or manufacture the clutch or transmission, right? The fault lies with the talent level of their supplier - unless, of course, JLR specified a clutch unit that would fail. Somehow I doubt that this was in the specification brief.[/QU

I think a manufacturer is responsible for its suppliers.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

[QUOTE=Suaro;2209762]
Originally Posted by sov211
You do realize that JLR did not design or manufacture the clutch or transmission, right? The fault lies with the talent level of their supplier - unless, of course, JLR specified a clutch unit that would fail. Somehow I doubt that this was in the specification brief.[/QU

I think a manufacturer is responsible for its suppliers.
Yes, of course the manufacturer is ultimately responsible, which is why the clutch units were replaced under warranty. Your statement, however, attributed the faulty clutch to a lack of design expertise on the part of JLR - which is unlikely to be the case. I am pretty sure that Jaguar would be recovering the costs from the clutch manufacturer (is it ZF?). This exactly what happened in the early 80's when John Egan took over the reins at Jaguar - as a major part of the needed improvement in the XJ range (the only models Jaguar made at the time were the XJ saloons, both 6 and 12 cylinder versions, and the XJ-S) he passed the costs of defective supplied parts on to the parts manufacturers themselves. The overall quality of the cars improved immensely and quickly!

Old 03-28-2020, 03:02 AM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Dumping the clutch, bang-shifting, or any other adolescent activity not needed for maximum performance can kill any drivetrain. The gen 4 clutch has resolved all of the engagement issues. I have one of the earliest MTs shipped to the U.S.and, as many of our forum members have witnessed in person, I am not gentle with the throttle (I'm averaging less than 15 mpg in the V6). With the pulley/tune the engine is producing more than 450hp/425lb-ft. The drivetrain can handle it.
The short-shifter does indeed make it sweet experience but, unfortunately, the aftermarket source has ceased production due to the limited market (only about 1000 MTs delivered to the US in total over the years). However, I have modified an OEM shifter that another forum member will be testing, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Install scheduled for the 3rd. Will update with impressions shortly thereafter.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

What are the last 5 digits of your VIN?
Sorry, didn't see your reply until now.

Last five digits are 40377.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, didn't see your reply until now.

Last five digits are 40377.
I suspect you have a gen 3 or 4 clutch. You should be ok.

jlsthlm (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Great to hear, thanks!

Old 03-29-2020, 07:07 AM

Is it accurate to think that VINs for Model year 2017 with the last five digits higher than 40377 have the gen 3 or ten 4 clutch?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Quickstep192
Is it accurate to think that VINs for Model year 2017 with the last five digits higher than 40377 have the gen 3 or ten 4 clutch?
Not accurate. Just an educated guess.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2016 6 speed V6S. Currently at 25k miles.
Had some issues but no slippage.
The thing is that I’ve driven plenty of manual cars, but once you rev match and shift into 3rd from 4th, on an F-type, you don’t want to drive anything else. That burble, cough bang is addictive. So ya, small price to pay.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Early months of 2016 is first gen clutch, but also more likely to have it already replaced as they failed early and a lot. Later months of 2016 would be second gen clutch.

You can easily tell the difference - if pedal is hard and engagement is immediate, where you almost stall the first time you drive the car, then it is second gen clutch. First gen clutch was very soft and engagement point imprecise, mushy.

Last edited by SinF; 01-20-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Shaaguar (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:02 AM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaaguar
I have a 2016 6 speed V6S. Currently at 25k miles.
Had some issues but no slippage.
The thing is that I’ve driven plenty of manual cars, but once you rev match and shift into 3rd from 4th, on an F-type, you don’t want to drive anything else. That burble, cough bang is addictive. So ya, small price to pay.
My favourite upshift is a quick 1-2 on hard acceleration. Hit it just right and you'll get a nice snort.

Favourite downshift is 4-3 with a generous blip.

Shaaguar (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 01:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Early months of 2016 is first gen clutch, but also more likely to have it already replaced as they failed early and a lot. Later months of 2016 would be second gen clutch.

You can easily tell the difference - if pedal is hard and engagement is immediate, where you almost stall the first time you drive the car, then it is second gen clutch. First gen clutch was very soft and engagement point imprecise, mushy.
Mine is prob second gen, but that’s how it came out of the factory.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shaaguar
Mine is prob second gen, but that’s how it came out of the factory.
I realize that this is an older thread so please excuse the newbie for commenting. I bought my 2016 S last May with 29,000 miles on it, it has 33,000 on it now but is sitting in the garage until the New Hampshire winter is over. I was unaware of any clutch problems with these cars when I bought it, in fact in my part of the world I see very few Jaguars of any description. When I started looking for my car I had not seen one on the road, never even sat in one. I found the car 2,000 miles away in Denver, did the deal and had it shipped. I have noted that it is easy to stall, I've warned others about that when I let them drive it, that is not a problem for me though. I don't drive the car hard, where I live the roads are all two lane twisties better suited to my 2016 Mazda MX-5/Miata, a car that just turned 100,000 miles on its original clutch. MX-5s have some of the best rated shifters, in comparison my F-Type's is somewhat longer yet not bad imho. I am hoping that my F-Type's clutch will hold up to my more sedate driving and limited yearly milage. My manual transmission experience started in 1967 with Alfas, quite a few of those followed, plus a couple MGs and a 1969 Euro-spec Maserati Ghibli. Now the Ghibli had a manly clutch, enough driving with it would strain my knee, but that was over three decades ago.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking at a 2006-2009 XJ VDP to join the other two cars, sometimes I feel the need for creature comforts, being a 77yo man.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Threeducs33
I realize that this is an older thread so please excuse the newbie for commenting. I bought my 2016 S last May with 29,000 miles on it, it has 33,000 on it now but is sitting in the garage until the New Hampshire winter is over. I was unaware of any clutch problems with these cars when I bought it, in fact in my part of the world I see very few Jaguars of any description. When I started looking for my car I had not seen one on the road, never even sat in one. I found the car 2,000 miles away in Denver, did the deal and had it shipped. I have noted that it is easy to stall, I've warned others about that when I let them drive it, that is not a problem for me though. I don't drive the car hard, where I live the roads are all two lane twisties better suited to my 2016 Mazda MX-5/Miata, a car that just turned 100,000 miles on its original clutch. MX-5s have some of the best rated shifters, in comparison my F-Type's is somewhat longer yet not bad imho. I am hoping that my F-Type's clutch will hold up to my more sedate driving and limited yearly milage. My manual transmission experience started in 1967 with Alfas, quite a few of those followed, plus a couple MGs and a 1969 Euro-spec Maserati Ghibli. Now the Ghibli had a manly clutch, enough driving with it would strain my knee, but that was over three decades ago.

On an unrelated note, I'm looking at a 2006-2009 XJ VDP to join the other two cars, sometimes I feel the need for creature comforts, being a 77yo man.
Welcome Threeducs33. Good for you. Proof that age is merely a number! Not sure where you are in NH but there are numerous F-Tyoe owners in NH, MA, and ME (including, well, me). And plenty of solid information here on this forum.

As an aside, my wife’s 2006 BMW 325xi MT wagon has 249,000 original miles and we’ve never changed the clutch and the car still looks and drives like a dream.

Carpe Diem.

Best regards,
Jay

Threeducs33 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Welcome Threeducs33. Good for you. Proof that age is merely a number! Not sure where you are in NH but there are numerous F-Tyoe owners in NH, MA, and ME (including, well, me). And plenty of solid information here on this forum.

As an aside, my wife’s 2006 BMW 325xi MT wagon has 249,000 original miles and we’ve never changed the clutch and the car still looks and drives like a dream.

Carpe Diem.

Best regards,
Jay
Well, I am a bit creaky now. But thanks Jay, good to hear that, horror stories aside, the car won't grenade in a few thousand miles. I used to ride Ducatis, they had the noisy dry clutches but they lasted fine with my riding. It seems that the clutches that have failed on this thread were on cars that have been modified for more power and have been driven hard. I'm in the Lakes Region, some really nice roads around here. There are also some really nice cars tucked away that come out in good weather, Jaguars, big Healeys, old MGs. The old Alfas I drove had to be worked with, not against. First to second shifts had to be timed right as the synchros wore. But those Alfas were the easiest for heel and toe rev matching, one could make them sing. Simpler days.

Who knows, in a couple of days I might be sending a check to get another Jaguar, prices on decent cars are pretty reasonable.

RickyJay52 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Threeducs33
Well, I am a bit creaky now. But thanks Jay, good to hear that, horror stories aside, the car won't grenade in a few thousand miles. I used to ride Ducatis, they had the noisy dry clutches but they lasted fine with my riding. It seems that the clutches that have failed on this thread were on cars that have been modified for more power and have been driven hard. I'm in the Lakes Region, some really nice roads around here. There are also some really nice cars tucked away that come out in good weather, Jaguars, big Healeys, old MGs. The old Alfas I drove had to be worked with, not against. First to second shifts had to be timed right as the synchros wore. But those Alfas were the easiest for heel and toe rev matching, one could make them sing. Simpler days.

Who knows, in a couple of days I might be sending a check to get another Jaguar, prices on decent cars are pretty reasonable.
Based on your two posts, it sounds like you know what you’re doing. (Keep it up!).

Quick Reply: Is it true what I read about the manual trans?