F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true what I read about the manual trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024 | 11:13 AM
Default Lots good info here on the clutch and Welcome!!!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rchid=15157946

I, too was unaware of the clutch issue before I bought the MY2017, built late 2016. Hair on fire after reading through the massive "clutch satisfaction" thread in the link above to a search on this forum, AFTER I bought the car. I had researched the Fs assiduously, or so I thought, but somehow missed this one.

As it turned out, I had enough sense to ask for all the related documentation on the clutch replacement once I saw "clutch replaced" on the selling dealer's disclosure form. A lifelong 3-pedaler, I was surprised that a 3 year old car (I bought it in 2020) would have to have its clutch replaced at 24,000 miles. I asked the dealer and he just sloughed it off to an incompetent driver/owner. My 1998 Honda Civic had its original clutch at 270,000 miles when I sold it.

The selling dealer provided a 4 month BtB warranty and I still had 18 months on the original factory warranty and the clutch was replaced with the 4th G version. The F now has nearly 4 years on that new clutch and is at 38,000 miles with no issues.

I would however, have the "easy to stall" issue checked out. There are stories within the threads that some owners did not even get their brand new (and unmodified) F home before the clutch failed. You would not want to have this happen on an interstate or other possibly dangerous thoroughfare. I'm not the transmission expert that others on this forum are, but I would think that would be a symptom or warning of impending clutch failure.

The following users liked this post:
Threeducs33 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rchid=15157946

I, too was unaware of the clutch issue before I bought the MY2017, built late 2016. Hair on fire after reading through the massive "clutch satisfaction" thread in the link above to a search on this forum, AFTER I bought the car. I had researched the Fs assiduously, or so I thought, but somehow missed this one.

As it turned out, I had enough sense to ask for all the related documentation on the clutch replacement once I saw "clutch replaced" on the selling dealer's disclosure form. A lifelong 3-pedaler, I was surprised that a 3 year old car (I bought it in 2020) would have to have its clutch replaced at 24,000 miles. I asked the dealer and he just sloughed it off to an incompetent driver/owner. My 1998 Honda Civic had its original clutch at 270,000 miles when I sold it.

The selling dealer provided a 4 month BtB warranty and I still had 18 months on the original factory warranty and the clutch was replaced with the 4th G version. The F now has nearly 4 years on that new clutch and is at 38,000 miles with no issues.

I would however, have the "easy to stall" issue checked out. There are stories within the threads that some owners did not even get their brand new (and unmodified) F home before the clutch failed. You would not want to have this happen on an interstate or other possibly dangerous thoroughfare. I'm not the transmission expert that others on this forum are, but I would think that would be a symptom or warning of impending clutch failure.
It appears that some people drive their F-Types as if they stole them, I've always driven as if I was paying for the repairs, which I am. I find that once launched the car is fine. I haven't driven it since November, the car has never seen salt and there is plenty of that here in New Hampshire. I'm on the brink of buying an XJ8, this car will see some winter driving, but that's what car washes are for.

Old 02-02-2024 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

It sounds like you have your ducs in a row!!

Old 02-02-2024 | 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
It sounds like you have your ducs in a row!!
They were once, but no 60+ year old man should buy a Ducati 1098, 160HP in a 400 pound bike is insane.

Old 02-02-2024 | 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

My wife made me sell my Triumph Thunderbird 1,600 (800lbs) when I was 75.
I am certain if it fell on me I would there for a along time!!
Sold it and bought the F-Type!!
Sounds great but not as loud as the TBird.

Threeducs33 (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 05:24 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Threeducs33
It appears that some people drive their F-Types as if they stole them ...
I've never really understood this - if you've stolen a car you'd want to drive it in a manner that didn't draw attention to yourself. On the other hand, "drive it like you rented it" I can fully understand!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
HermanWiegman (02-14-2024), Threeducs33 (02-03-2024)
Old 02-02-2024 | 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

It appears that some people drive their F-Types as if they stole them, I've always driven as if I was paying for the repairs, which I am. I find that once launched the car is fine. I haven't driven it since November, the car has never seen salt and there is plenty of that here in New Hampshire. I'm on the brink of buying an XJ8, this car will see some winter driving, but that's what car washes are for.
Just don't let the supercharger act like a vacuum in a few inches of water. LOL You'll be without your car for a bit.

Old 02-02-2024 | 08:13 PM

My take is that if you are not trying to cut 10ths of a second off your time with hard launches and shifts then the 4th gen clutch with 2nd gen flywheel will handle stock S power in spirited driving without issues. All bets are off though with a tune and red light racing.

Old 02-03-2024 | 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I've never really understood this - if you've stolen a car you'd want to drive it in a manner that didn't draw attention to yourself. On the other hand, "drive it like you rented it" I can fully understand!
There's an old joke about that.

Q: What's the fastest car you've ever driven?
A: A rental car.

Originally Posted by Michael211
My take is that if you are not trying to cut 10ths of a second off your time with hard launches and shifts then the 4th gen clutch with 2nd gen flywheel will handle stock S power in spirited driving without issues. All bets are off though with a tune and red light racing.
No hard launches for me, and while I'm pretty gentle with the leftmost pedal, I'm not with the other two.

I think what actually failed with my original clutch was the dual-mass flywheel. I got a brief look at the parts after removal and if I'd known more then about the DMF I'd have looked closer. There was part of a spring that had been floating around in the bell housing, and the two parts of the flywheel seemed to move freely. The clutch looked as expected (worn, hot spots) but I didn't see anything that looked mechanically damaged. The dealer replaced the whole clutch, including flywheel and rear main seal, under warranty. I've had no issues since.

Old 02-03-2024 | 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

They were once, but no 60+ year old man should buy a Ducati 1098, 160HP in a 400 pound bike is insane.
I still have three Ducatis (900SS/CR, 748, ST4S) and an MV Agusta (F4 312R), but hardly ride these days. The 60+ part has something to do with it. The MV is the beast of the bunch, but also a beauty. It's a bit heavy at perhaps 465 pounds, but it's over 164HP at the rear wheel. The 748 is extremely well balanced, but the sintered bronze clutch left in place from the racing days takes a little technique to get moving. I should get the ST going again, but need to plug it into the computer to see what's wrong. I suspect the crankshaft position sensor but have too many projects, too little time.

Old 02-04-2024 | 05:30 AM

I rode a Honda VFR 800 R until I was 65, but realised that at that age I didn't bounce as well on hard surfaces. I sold it and got my E Type. Great excuse - my wife was against "wasting" my money on an E, but when I said the alternative was to continue risking life and limb on the bike .........!
I don't have a manual F, and can understand the "fun" bit having driven manuals since 1966, but when you talk about track work or drag work, the auto in dynamic and sport mode will win every time in my view. And if you use the stick shift, you still get the snort.
Just saying! But enjoy the manual, I get it.

Threeducs33 (02-04-2024)