Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Tuning

So some advice needed, just thinking of a tune for my 2018 2.0 turbo, I know absolutely nothing about tuning or if there is any long term effects to the car engine, As I live in Ireland came across these guys in Belfast this is their tune on the 4pot.

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/chiptu...vnW88FCN8neGtA

Old 03-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Bear in mind that any engine tuning is going to void the manufacturer's warranty for the engine and most likely the entire drivetrain.

Less than 300 quid makes it attractive though.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I know nothing about this mob or their product, but yes plug in tuning boxes can work well especially on turbo engines.
I say "can" because the quality varies a fair bit, from high quality to absolute *****.
I used two different plug in boxes on my old XFS (3.0 V6 diesel twin turbo) and both worked well to boost power and especially torque (which is what diesels are all about anyway). The first one was fairly "cheap and cheerful" and simple, so after a few months I upgraded to a RaceChip Pro which worked great.
Some of the cheaper ones really do nothing more than act as a throttle position "enhancer", so that what is say 50% throttle when stock becomes 75% with the box fitted, fooling you into thinking it's producing more power/torque when the max output doesn't change at all.
The better ones increase max power and torque by increasing the turbo boost, but what you are really looking for is increased power and torque "under the curve" and improved throttle response, especially the reduction or even elimination of turbo lag which can still be present even on modern turbo engines.
Before you buy check out their return policy - if it doesn't work as advertised can you return it for a full refund?
The only real way to test is on a dyno with before and after runs on the same day under the same conditions.
The better boxes have a "blanking plug" which you can insert to bypass the box and go back to stock, much easier than removing the box as often the box is a bit of a bear to fit due to hard to access connector plugs, so check if this one has that feature.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
So some advice needed, just thinking of a tune for my 2018 2.0 turbo, I know absolutely nothing about tuning or if there is any long term effects to the car engine, As I live in Ireland came across these guys in Belfast this is their tune on the 4pot.

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/chiptu...vnW88FCN8neGtA

If the tune works as desired, then it has a negative impact on engine life. You can't run more power for free. How much of an impact isn't known, but the bell curve distribution of potential problems vs age is going to be shifted left.

As far as the box above, it uses the same interface connector as Racechip and makes very similar claims to the mid-performance version of RC. I would bet it is Racechip under licence or a copy.

I run Racechip GTS Black on my 5.0L and have done around 12 dyno runs testing various configurations of base, RC, and SC pulley. It performs exactly as advertised. But the advertisement is tricky. The claimed gains are the maximum difference across the RPM range, not at peak HP. In my case they claim +71HP and that is true, but at peak HP it is +45.

In the 2.0T's case, RC claims +35 HP. I don't where that occurs, so it could be at peak HP, or, peak HP might see less of a gain, stay the same, or even fall a bit. They should be able to produce a dyno if ypu ask. If they can't that's a red flag.

The link above shows +40HP at peak. I find that fishy bcs they also list BHP numbers and dynos measure WHP.

Also, 40/296 or +13% isn't an outrageous claim but it gets harder to believe when the stock boost is already 150 HP/L. If the 5.0 was boosted that agressively from Jag it would ship with 750HP, then we'd be talking +13% over that, or 850 HP.

​​​​​On the plus side, the plug-in chips can be removed for service without a trace to preserve your warranty. Depending on how the 2.0T chip plugs-in, removal could take 3 mins or 3 hours. Racechip took me a full day to install the first time. Now I can do it in 10 minutes.

Another nice thing about RC, and probably the chip above since the connector is identical, is that it comes with a dongle. So you can remove the brain, plug-in the dongle, and return the car to stock without removing the harness if you just want to be sure you are completely stock, like for dynoing or if you want to read a CEL, etc.

Racehip works well for the 5.0L SC, my 495HP V8 S dynos consistently at 560 WHP with 20 coming from an upper pulley. The 2014 5.0L's gains are abnormally high since it shipped detuned. Thats why I bought it.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-21-2020 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts