F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I appreciate your feedback, as with many posts on this forum it gives me the information I need to make an informed decision. With that, the VAP tune with the lower pulley would be better suited for me.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:30 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I appreciate your feedback, as with many posts on this forum it gives me the information I need to make an informed decision. With that, the VAP tune with the lower pulley would be better suited for me.
VAP is the way to if you aren't worried about warranty or price.

I would caution you about tuning or even driving a V8 hard on 0W-20 as I think its an oil specifically made for econoboxes. Jag's own spec states, Ford Fuel Saver. The new GF-6 standard pushed by manufacturers tired of repairing cars in warranty proves that the original 0W/5W-20 provided inadequate engine protection at high RPM. Jag is the only manufacturer using it in 5.0L boosted GDI. Even Ford increases oil weight to 50 SAE when they add a SC to create the GT500.

We have anecdotal evidence showing all posted stock V8's dynos pulling timing around 5800 RPM. My car does that, see the red pulley-only run on the dyno above, but a switch to a more reasonable 0W-40 performance oil solved it. To each his own.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Tuning question from the mod enthusiasts on this site. Am considering going with the VAP tune WITHOUT the lower pulley in the next few months and my goal is to at least equal the 25 HP gain on the SVR and it appears that the VAP tune should accomplish that with around 40 HP gain to the rear wheels which is enough gain for my needs. After receiving the box in the mail should I find a local performance shop to properly install it seeing that electronics and technical aptitude is NOT one of my skill sets? There is a reputable business in the area that specializes in european makes for possible installation but I think their volume is more Porsche, BMW and Audi driven. From any members that have chosen this route, is the VAP tune a simple plug and play (on/off switch) and forget about it process for daily driving or does it require constant monitoring and trouble which I prefer not to deal with? My R is still under warranty until next September, as a courtesy should I check with my Jaguar service manager (appears to be mod friendly) first to make sure there are no issues with a simple tune or is it better to be low key and just disconnect/erase if I had to take it in for service? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Portlander
Tuning question from the mod enthusiasts on this site. Am considering going with the VAP tune WITHOUT the lower pulley in the next few months and my goal is to at least equal the 25 HP gain on the SVR and it appears that the VAP tune should accomplish that with around 40 HP gain to the rear wheels which is enough gain for my needs. After receiving the box in the mail should I find a local performance shop to properly install it seeing that electronics and technical aptitude is NOT one of my skill sets? There is a reputable business in the area that specializes in european makes for possible installation but I think their volume is more Porsche, BMW and Audi driven. From any members that have chosen this route, is the VAP tune a simple plug and play (on/off switch) and forget about it process for daily driving or does it require constant monitoring and trouble which I prefer not to deal with? My R is still under warranty until next September, as a courtesy should I check with my Jaguar service manager (appears to be mod friendly) first to make sure there are no issues with a simple tune or is it better to be low key and just disconnect/erase if I had to take it in for service? Thanks.
The VAP tune starts with your stock tune. You connect a handheld device and download it, then email it to VAP. When you get the new tune, you load it to the handheld device and upload to the car. The handheld device is only connected for the duration of these two processes. No monitoring or adjustment is required after that.

When the dealer connects to the car for service they will know that the system has been reprogrammed by a non-factory device even if you reflash to stock. The primary reason to flash back to stock is that if there are updates the dealer will be able to apply them. If you don't, make sure they do not apply any updates. If those updates affect the areas where the tune resides, you'll need to download the new file and email to VAP for a repeat of the process. I had to do that after the first service post tune. I also got an updated tune at my request to address throttle sensitivity issues seen in earlier revisions. I've got over 30k miles with the tune with no issues.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Good morning Jim. If I can do it—the easily installed and excellent tune from our friends at VAP—you can do it. I will let others here explain more of the details (like Steve just did prior to my slow post) on the “how to” but, trust me, it’s a piece of cake. And who doesn’t love cake? (Depending on our return to Maine I can do it with you, although I can assure you you won’t need me.)

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. I seem to recall someone recommending hooking up a battery tender while the car is running and downloading and uploading the tune—which I am pretty sure I did— but I might be thinking of something else? I forget.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Thanks guys, I'm feeling more confident about moving forward due to it's simplicity and I may take you up on your offer Jay when you finally return to the Pine Tree State! Were your vehicles still under warranty when you applied the tune?

Old 05-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm feeling more confident about moving forward due to it's simplicity and I may take you up on your offer Jay when you finally return to the Pine Tree State! Were your vehicles still under warranty when you applied the tune?
it would be my pleasure Jim and yes, I was still under warranty. Based on the history of VAP here—as well as recommendations from people here whom I trust completely, including our very own Unhingd (who you will meet later in the year) I had zero concerns. Plus, if your service manager is my service manager all I can say is he is THE best.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-10-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:39 AM

There is only one and he is the best and I just had my center dashboard vent replaced last week because the leather was bubbling up due to it's time spent in the Alabama heat. Steve, my service date is coming up in July for the complimentary scheduled oil change (next to last one) and whatever else is included at the 3 year point, should I wait to do the tune after that visit just in case there are any required updates that may need to be accomplished? I currently have 15,000 miles on the car.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Banned

My R is still under warranty until next September, as a courtesy should I check with my Jaguar service manager (appears to be mod friendly) first to make sure there are no issues with a simple tune or is it better to be low key and just disconnect/erase if I had to take it in for service? Thanks.
Any firmware tune will void an actual warranty claim. There's difference between not mentioning the tune when you bring the car in and paying a claim. Jag is very aggressive in denying warranty claims for mods. They've even given me sh*t about after market wheels voiding the warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Portlander (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Any firmware tune will void an actual warranty claim.
This is not true. A tune will only void a warranty claim if it's deemed and proven the tune caused the issue. i.e. if you have a suspension failure, having a tune has nothing to do with that failure.

Portlander (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mahjik
This is not true. A tune will only void a warranty claim if it's deemed and proven the tune caused the issue. i.e. if you have a suspension failure, having a tune has nothing to do with that failure.
Right, a firmware flash tune will void the drivetrain warranty. Its your custom wheels that'll void your suspension warranty.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Right, a firmware flash tune will void the drivetrain warranty.
This is also not true. Any modification must be proven to have caused the failure to void the warranty. This has been taken to court in the past and the manufacturers have lost.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

This is also not true. Any modification must be proven to have caused the failure to void the warranty. This has been taken to court in the past and the manufacturers have lost.
100% agreed. The other guy just WANTS to be right so bad but he is very uneducated on the subject as you can see.
No one knows this issue better then me, when I had a tune on one of my Shelby's I had a faulty oil pump. They tried to blame it on my tune. Long story short, ford rep was called and they paid for the work under warranty.
With that all said the tune HAS TO BE the DIRECT link to the problem. Two words - Magnuson-Moss!

Old 05-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Banned

It goes without saying a flash tune voids the drive train warranty. Legally, rightfully, and fully. Thats why the tuner code exists, its the proof.

If you don't believe me, call Jag and tell them you've tuned your car, is the drive train warranty still good. The answer is no.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 05:07 PM.
JgaXkr (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

There is only one and he is the best and I just had my center dashboard vent replaced last week because the leather was bubbling up due to it's time spent in the Alabama heat. Steve, my service date is coming up in July for the complimentary scheduled oil change (next to last one) and whatever else is included at the 3 year point, should I wait to do the tune after that visit just in case there are any required updates that may need to be accomplished? I currently have 15,000 miles on the car.
I doubt there is any further updating they'll do at the three year point, but it's up to you. The fill process is:

Connect the provided handheld device to the car and follow the instructions to download the original file. Disconnect.
Install the associated software on your PC. Connect the device to your PC and copy the file locally. Email VAP and attach the file.
Wait for a reply. It's the hard part, but turnaround is quick. I never expect it, but I've even gotten replies to queries on the weekend.
Save the file locally, connect the device again to the PC and upload the new file to the device.
Connect to the car and upload the new file. Some recommend connecting a charger to the car during this phase as you don't want the battery voltage to drop too far but I've done it with no charger every time but once.

There's difference between not mentioning the tune when you bring the car in and paying a claim. Jag is very aggressive in denying warranty claims for mods. They've even given me sh*t about after market wheels voiding the warranty.
The difference is perhaps one of honesty. If you want to play, you should be prepared to pay. That said, your dealer sounds like more of a problem than JLR.

Also worth noting is that the total number of miles on VAP tunes just on this forum is considerable and no one has noted any issues. I have over 30K miles on mine, although I haven't installed the pulley yet. Also not driving much these days because of the obvious public health restrictions or I'd have another couple of thousand.

Portlander (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

It goes without saying a flash tune voids the drive train warranty. Legally, rightfully, and fully. Thats why the tuner code exists, its the proof.
In order: It does not. No, no, and no. Debatable unless confirmed with the designers, and not necessarily.

A flash tune (or a piggyback tune) can lead to questions about a drivetrain issue, but the tune would need to be proven to cause the issue to deny the claim. That's the law here in the United States.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I doubt there is any further updating they'll do at the three year point, but it's up to you. The fill process is:

Connect the provided handheld device to the car and follow the instructions to download the original file. Disconnect.
Install the associated software on your PC. Connect the device to your PC and copy the file locally. Email VAP and attach the file.
Wait for a reply. It's the hard part, but turnaround is quick. I never expect it, but I've even gotten replies to queries on the weekend.
Save the file locally, connect the device again to the PC and upload the new file to the device.
Connect to the car and upload the new file. Some recommend connecting a charger to the car during this phase as you don't want the battery voltage to drop too far but I've done it with no charger every time but once.

The difference is perhaps one of honesty. If you want to play, you should be prepared to pay. That said, your dealer sounds like more of a problem than JLR.

Also worth noting is that the total number of miles on VAP tunes just on this forum is considerable and no one has noted any issues. I have over 30K miles on mine, although I haven't installed the pulley yet. Also not driving much these days because of the obvious public health restrictions or I'd have another couple of thousand.
I agree the chances of in-warranty failure is low. But that shouldn't be confused with maintaining the factory/CPO warranty. If you tune a car the drivetrain warranty is legally void. Rightfully so. There is no chance the factory will pay for drivetrain damage with the tuner bit permanently flipped.

I'm not suggesting Racechip will not void your warranty, it does. But it's undetectable when removed versus a permanent code. The difference should be understood when selecting a tune.

Thats why reputable engine tuners offer a warranty that pays for damage caused by the tune, because the factory warranty will not pay.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Old 05-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FIRE550
You are the one said the horse wasn't dead. Yes, everyone knows tuning voids your warranty. Yes, it's universally understood, or it should be.

That said, reputable tuners like Lingenfelter, Hennessy, Dinan, Racechip, Saleen, etc. offer various power train warranties primarily to fill the factory warranty gap which would otherwise discourage buying their tune. I am not associated with any of them.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-10-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 PM

You are the one said the horse wasn't dead. Yes, everyone knows tuning voids your warranty. Yes, it's universally understood, or it should be.

That said, reputable tuners like Lingenfelter, Hennessy, Dinan, Racechip, Saleen, etc. offer various power train warranties primarily to fill the factory warranty gap which would otherwise discourage buying their tune. I am not associated with any of them.

Quick Reply: Tuning Question