F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbocharger vs supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

Aren't turbos also more complex? They're more efficient but require much more parts/management/heat dissipation, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Aren't turbos also more complex? They're more efficient but require much more parts/management/heat dissipation, etc.
In a sense yes, because turbos are "powered" by hot exhaust gases spinning a turbine at high speeds, to force air into the engine, and that requires a cooling system (intercooler) for the turbo. That technology has progressed to the point where heat management is no longer a significant reliability issue.

Superchargers do essentially the same thing, but the power comes from a belt driven by the engine. High-speed air also creates heat.

It's a bit of a trade-off between super and turbos in terms of reliability because superchargers, being belt driven and spinning at very high rpms, also have wear and tear issues.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Swapping out the OEM filter with a K&N free flow filter could enhance the whine from under the hood. Doing that on my MINI had a huge impact on sound level. In fact, despite the sport exhaust, the SC is now the only thing you can hear under full trot. Sounds like a jet engine on takeoff. The reduction pulley also contributed. The reduction pulley for the V6S is already sitting on my desk.
Doing what to the what? Care to expand, with a cost estimate included
Anyone else share the same opinion?This guy hasn't shared his ssn, so he can't be trusted, but his suggestion is interesting.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

You won't get the old-school whine from the TVS blowers like the Eatons on the 4.0/4.2 engines. The TVS is much quieter to begin with due to the more efficient lobe design. The internal gears on the old blowers also contributed to the whine, whereas the gears on the TVS are also much quieter.

To maximise the whine on a 5.0 (or 3.0), i'd be;

Overdriving the blower with a smaller upper pulley

Air filters i.e. K&N or similar

Change the intake piping from the plastic tubing that has lots of baffles/dampers to straight steel/alloy tubing (have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...intake-133543/)

Remove the bonnet liner or change it to the glued-on type

Remove the sound insulation around the supercharger & charge coolers. (not sure if you can get them out without disassembling the charge coolers. There are two pieces of foam one under each charge cooler.

Removing the engine cover should also make the whine a bit louder.

But even then you will struggle to get it sounding like this unfortunately...

EDIT

Here's what the intake of the Bonneville XFR looked like

Last edited by Cambo; 03-06-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
Doing what to the what? Care to expand, with a cost estimate included
Anyone else share the same opinion?This guy hasn't shared his ssn, so he can't be trusted, but his suggestion is interesting.
Not sure what you don't understand, but let me spell it out. I am suggesting that you replace the original equipment manufacturer's air filters with K&N filters (2x$65). Additionally Cambo's suggestions above will help as well. My experience is with the Eaton blower so Cambo's remarks should carry more weight.
Regarding social security number: if you show me yours, I won't show you mine.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
In a sense yes, because turbos are "powered" by hot exhaust gases spinning a turbine at high speeds, to force air into the engine, and that requires a cooling system (intercooler) for the turbo.
Good SC systems will also have intercoolers. The compression of air releases massive amounts of heat. Left un-cooled this has a negative impact on air density entering the intake manifold. I was able to wring a few more horses out of the MINI by mounting a larger intercooler from a JCW GP.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Good SC systems will also have intercoolers. The compression of air releases massive amounts of heat. Left un-cooled this has a negative impact on air density entering the intake manifold. I was able to wring a few more horses out of the MINI by mounting a larger intercooler from a JCW GP.
Yes, I did mention that in the part of my post you didn't quote. I did neglect to mention that modern supercharger systems now generally include an intercooler system but more because cooler air is denser generating more power. However, traditionally, heat dissipation has been more on an issue with turbos.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure what you don't understand, but let me spell it out. I am suggesting that you replace the original equipment manufacturer's air filters with K&N filters (2x$65). Additionally Cambo's suggestions above will help as well. My experience is with the Eaton blower so Cambo's remarks should carry more weight.
Regarding social security number: if you show me yours, I won't show you mine.
Hmm, I should have prepared a comeback for your comeback. Thanks though

Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
I'm pretty happy with it myself. Although I'm not much of a gear head, I recognize the low end torque and lack of turbo lag. I just like to hear from forum members on how they feel about the performance and about the choice jaguar made.
My though is Jaguar used a supercharger over a turbo for: (1) Cost (e.g., a new turbo design adds cost--more air and heat management challenges); (2) Familiarity with its dance partner, i.e., the success and understanding gained from its supercharged applications in earlier motors); and, (3) The desired operating performance characteristics for its F-Type (i.e., wanting an instant "torque-on" performance curve).

After having (and being disappointed in different ways with) a number of high-revving motors that only started pulling after 5K-6K, give me a motor that starts pulling at 1200-1500. The Jag does that. I gotta add, though, that turbo designs today have come a long way in minimizing the lack of low-end grunt of the past, with the use of twin-turbo and twin-scroll (changing-pitch) turbine designs. In the end, boost is boost. Compromises in each design, many of which have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I've generally taken the view that provided the engine has sufficient power on tap which is accesible when you need with little to no lag, then it doesn't really matter much what type of forced induction got you there. Jaguar's supercharged engines in the F Type deliver on these requirements very well and as a huge added bonus haven't messed up the sound the way turbos typically do. Jaguar's solution works and for me it's more than good enough.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
"..., and as a huge added bonus haven't messed up the sound the way turbos typically do...."
Huge bonus. Huge. And which reminds me. though many nice rides use muffling technology, I'm trying to avoid having to sit in an "enhanced boost environment" through my sound system.

Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Switchable baffle plates are quite acceptable (no different really than what is employed on the F-Type) and allows the driver to modulate real sound appropriately for the situation. However, piping an mp3 recording into the cabin is like artificially enhancing certain female body parts. It's just not the same as the real thing regardless of the achieved volume.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

It's just not the same as the real thing regardless of the achieved volume.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The supercharger is certainly much cheaper than a turbo system. There are far fewer parts differences between NA 5.0L and the SC version compared to what would be necessary for a turbo charged one. In order to have the instant boost of the SC you would need a twin turbo application to have a smaller turbo kick in at lower rpms to avoid the turbo whole, add to that a different exhaust.
A rule of thumb is that a turbo can add up to 50% more power and a SC which cannibalizes power through the belt about 30%.
Has Jaguar "sacrificed" power for sound - most absolutely. It is very hard to get a good exhaust sound out of a 911 turbo. Jaguar spent a lot of time and money developing the exhaust to sound the way it does AND pass noise emissions.
Yes this car was developed to trigger emotions and not for pure performance numbers ... other wise it would be a failure.
As for missing performance ... I can get tires to light up in third gear by simply going firewall, so I already have more power than the platform can put down ...

Old 03-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
. It is very hard to get a good exhaust sound out of a 911 turbo.
why people buy Ferraris

ronbros (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by shift
why people buy Ferraris
Yep - an Italia drove past me this morning. Heard it before I saw it! Sounded fantastic.

ronbros (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

Our Maser has great sound,mini Ferrari sound!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Been judging sounds carefully at cars and coffee lately. The ones that have impressed me most have been; Masers, Ferraris and surprisingly the Lexus LFA which has a bit of a tortured scream but very attractive nevertheless. The F-Types can hole their heads up in the company.

I was also playing freeway tag in traffic with a Merc C63 AMG which makes quite an exciting growl when being hammered, it uses turbochargers and still manages to sound great.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 03-07-2015 at 04:43 PM.
ronbros (03-08-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Nice analysis here...

This guy did a nice job of the pro and cons: Turbo vs supercharger | Simplystance.com

I've had both types and prefer superchargers mostly because I like power off the line and don't road race.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

you guys should hear the sound of 12 cylinders at 7000revs,WOT, and free flow exhaust, all out a single outlet! on the driver side of vehicle,so i can hear it! LOL.

not that silly multiple outlets, 2 or 4.

Attached Thumbnails turbocharger vs supercharger-mazda-jaguar-003.jpg  

Quick Reply: turbocharger vs supercharger