F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tyres for ftype coupe s

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tyres for ftype coupe s

Can anyone confirm the standard tyres used on the f type coupe s 2016 model. Struggling to find this Ingo. reasearch suggests michelin pilot supersports would be ideal. Any thought? Thanks. Oh....1st May confirmed as pick up date at dealers!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Go to this site, at the bottom of the page, use shopping tools, contact us, and ask them.

Jaguar F-TYPE | Overview | Jaguar UK

Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Most supercharged V8S come with Pirelli P Zeros. Some, like an XF SC come with a Conti.

Last edited by Schwabe; 03-21-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoopusMaximus
Can anyone confirm the standard tyres used on the f type coupe s 2016 model. Struggling to find this Ingo. reasearch suggests michelin pilot supersports would be ideal. Any thought? Thanks. Oh....1st May confirmed as pick up date at dealers!
I don't believe Jaguar has a contract with Michelin, I have never seen a new Jag with Michelin tires.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Both the 19" standard and 20" optional tires for the 2015 V6S Coupe are Pirelli P-Zeros. It is unlikely they will change for 2016. Mine will arrive with the 19" Propeller wheel and I will immediately swap with a set of Mich PSSs mounted on 20" Black Diamond Cut Gyrodynes (not available as a factory option on the V6S)

Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Remember the OP is from the UK, not the states which may be different.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Remember the OP is from the UK, not the states which may be different.
Thus far (14-15 MYs), all the tires for each model have been the same on UK cars and those shipped to the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. We've also had other countries represented here including Germany, Croatia, and UAE.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

The UK Configurator last summer allowed you to spec Michelin PSS on 20" rims in place of the Pirellis. Not exactly competitively priced though.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

I found myself at the tyre shop today... Managed to dodge a bullet and have my rear right tyre repaired after they pulled a six inch nail out of it - a $30 repair instead of an $850 replacement tyre!

While I was waiting, I asked the guy what he would consider as a replacement, as I find the P Zeros skittish and hard to get the power to the ground.

Without hesitation, he said "Michelin Pilots", then added, "but they aren't cheap!"

Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I found myself at the tyre shop today... Managed to dodge a bullet and have my rear right tyre repaired after they pulled a six inch nail out of it - a $30 repair instead of an $850 replacement tyre!

While I was waiting, I asked the guy what he would consider as a replacement, as I find the P Zeros skittish and hard to get the power to the ground.

Without hesitation, he said "Michelin Pilots", then added, "but they aren't cheap!"
On high performance tire preference, the answers one gets are as close to unanimous as anything I've ever seen on a car forum. Right now, the PSS is the runaway first choice among car enthusiasts as the best street, extreme performance summer tire.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
On high performance tire preference, the answers one gets are as close to unanimous as anything I've ever seen on a car forum. Right now, the PSS is the runaway first choice among car enthusiasts as the best street, extreme performance summer tire.
Which I have never really understood. I always felt they were just a mediocre performance tire. Going to the track with them isn't exactly wise, as they tend to start crumbling at the outside edge when driven hard. I've always felt Dunlop Direzza ZIIs and Yokohama Neova AD08s were a better street/occasional track tire. Only issue is the limited sizes available.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Chinese state-owned China National Chemical (ChemChina) is to buy Italian tyre maker Pirelli in a deal which values the firm at €7.1bn (£5.1bn).

The move is the latest in a string of takeovers in Italy by cash-rich Chinese buyers.

---> Oh boy, folks don't like our Pirelli's now .............

Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Which I have never really understood. I always felt they were just a mediocre performance tire. Going to the track with them isn't exactly wise, as they tend to start crumbling at the outside edge when driven hard. I've always felt Dunlop Direzza ZIIs and Yokohama Neova AD08s were a better street/occasional track tire. Only issue is the limited sizes available.
I guess I don't either unless things have changed. I've had both of the models you list above and was extremely impressed with both. The Yokos were the best sticking tires I've ever had on any car. I weight grip and predictability above all else. Tire noise and all other factors are way down the list.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:51 AM

I guess I don't either unless things have changed. I've had both of the models you list above and was extremely impressed with both. The Yokos were the best sticking tires I've ever had on any car. I weight grip and predictability above all else. Tire noise and all other factors are way down the list.
The PSS is not an extreme performance tire. It is a max performance tire (one notch below). The Yokos will give you more grip for sure and if you look at Tire Rack tests it has better lap times wet and dry. However ride quality, noise and overall lifespan for a road car user can't come close. You won't get 20-25k miles out of the Yokos. Many people have out of the PSS.

Plus the only choices for those of us in the R Coupe are the P Zero and the PSS. Only two tires in OEM size for this car.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 03-23-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
The PSS is not an extreme performance tire. It is a max performance tire (one notch below). The Yokos will give you more grip for sure and if you look at Tire Rack tests it has better lap times wet and dry. However ride quality, noise and overall lifespan for a road car user can't come close. You won't get 20-25k miles out of the Yokos. Many people have out of the PSS.

Plus the only choices for those of us in the R Coupe are the P Zero and the PSS. Only two tires in OEM size for this car.
Yes, I understand that, and I mistakenly used the term "extreme," but I meant "max performance summer." Actually, there is another choice, ContiForce Contact, which is the most expensive of the three, and it is listed as "streetable and track performance," with a wear rating of 80 vs. 220 and 300 for the other two. It surprises me that there aren't options available from Dunlop and Yoko.

I'm running the same 20" OEM sizes on my base. As I said above, grip is the number one consideration for me, with everything else (including tire-wear) running far behind.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-23-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 AM

Yes, I understand that, and I mistakenly used the term "extreme," but I meant "max performance summer." Actually, there is another choice, ContiForce Contact, which is the most expensive of the three, and it is listed as "streetable and track performance," with a wear rating of 80 vs. 220 and 300 for the other two. It surprises me that there aren't options available from Dunlop and Yoko. I'm running the same 20" OEM sizes on my base. As I said above, grip is the number one consideration for me, with everything else (including tire-wear) running far behind.
Grip is number one for me too but wet weather grip is just as important as dry grip. This is the issue I have with the category of street able and track performance is that they tend to be susceptible to aquaplaning.

Last night I was driving through heavy rain on single lane country roads with large puddles and the Michelin PSS did an amazing job of cutting through the puddles while maintaining grip. It was quite enjoyable in fact.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Grip is number one for me too but wet weather grip is just as important as dry grip. This is the issue I have with the category of street able and track performance is that they tend to be susceptible to aquaplaning.
+1 for wet weather grip. I'm a little worried that the Pirelli's aren't very good at it.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
+1 for wet weather grip. I'm a little worried that the Pirelli's aren't very good at it.
It's all relative... Are they as good as the PSS in the wet? Probably not. Are they better than some inexpensive Cooper tire? Yes.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (03-23-2015)