F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UAD- CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022 | 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robert R Gilbert
How does the UAD unit compare to that of Navtool? Does anyone have experience with Navtool. They are local (NYC) to me and would anticipate good customer support. Thanks.

Have you done any of your own research on the product or company yet ???? You had better read trustpilot first and then decide if you want to risk it. A lot of very unhappy customers on there. Unfortunately no firsthand information to share with you as only had UAD/joyeauto experience as would I guess 98% of us on this forum that have retro-fitted wireless CarPlay.

Old 02-18-2022 | 08:58 AM

Thanks. Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau indicates that I should stay away from them. I will get the UAD unit.

Old 08-22-2022 | 02:33 PM

I have just installed a UAD unit and mine quickly switches between CarPlay and the reverse camera when the car is in reverse. I asked UAD and their solution was to tap into the reverse light power. Does anyone know if there's a power source that goes live with reverse that isn't at the back of the car? I really can't be bothered pulling the whole boot apart for something that is supposed to be plug and play!

Here's a video

Old 08-22-2022 | 06:45 PM

it is obviously picking up you are reversing and switiching as intended but not staying on the video feed. I would try
1. recheck all you connections are firmly plugged in
2. try hard reboot via the switch on the uad device itself
3. update to the latest firmware
4. reverse light wire last

Old 08-24-2022 | 08:22 PM

Can a front camera be added to the UAD unit? If so how do you select it/turn it on?

Old 08-24-2022 | 10:57 PM

yes you can add front camera BUT ( I Have not done it ) fine print say apparently only works if you have enable aftermarket reverse camera.
So if you already have working integration with the original OEM reverse camera you have to lose that and add another rear camera so that you can add a front camera. Seem too much work to me.

Old 08-25-2022 | 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Borbor
yes you can add front camera BUT ( I Have not done it ) fine print say apparently only works if you have enable aftermarket reverse camera.
So if you already have working integration with the original OEM reverse camera you have to lose that and add another rear camera so that you can add a front camera. Seem too much work to me.
That's too bad. I don't want to put another camera in the back and the one there works fine now, so no reason to mess with it. I guess I need to learn how the front sensors work (so far so good) as I don't want to destroy the splitter when parking!

Old 08-26-2022 | 11:29 PM

UAD said you can use an aftermarket front camera and retain use of the OEM rear. I went ahead and ordered a front camera and will report back on how it works.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcphill:
Blacks18 (08-29-2022), WayneB (08-27-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 08:29 AM

Which camera did you order?

Old 08-29-2022 | 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robert R Gilbert
Which camera did you order?
Just their universal mount unit. I'll figure out some way to hide it if I like how it works: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/univ...t-rear-camera/

Old 08-29-2022 | 08:48 PM

I'm keen to see your progress on this too. You can try taking the power for the front camera from UAD harness itself. It says it is power for the rear camera only but given you will have your dash apart maybe you can try this and report back. Uncertain if this is powered all the time or only when reverse activated but suspect it is , as easier to engineer it this way and have only the video feeding switching on reversing. If so it will save you a lot of time and effort from you having to run a separate wire run and fuse tap for powering front camera

Old 08-30-2022 | 07:33 AM

Easy enough to grab power from the cigarette lighter by the shifter as well.

Old 09-14-2022 | 06:28 PM

Hi
just wondering if you managed to get it installed yet

Old 09-14-2022 | 06:39 PM

Not yet, but got a different camera from Amazon - much smaller:
Amazon Amazon

Hope to install tomorrow or Friday. I did get feedback from UAD. Here's what they said:

With this product model, the front camera image will only display in our interface menu level, ie it only displays if you are seeing our interface menu/Apple CarPlay menu/Android Auto menu.

To fit a front camera with this model, you will need to purchase a push to make button where you can find it on Amazon/eBay. This button should connect to the Brown wire on our power loom marked KEY IN and also it should connect to a ground wire. Once the camera is connected correctly, you should be able to see front camera image when press this button.

Please plug and camera in to the yellow composite video port for the front camera. The camera needs 12v, ignition switched power

Old 09-16-2022 | 03:43 PM

Started the front camera install today. For now I sourced power from the cigarette lighter. Got everything wired the way it is supposed to work, but it doesn't work right. It is supposed to switch to the front camera when the "KEY-IN" line is brought low. This doesn't work. However, it does switch to the camera when the "REAR-C" line is brought high momentarily. It then leaves the front camera image on for about 10 seconds, and then goes back to the CarPlay screen. Not exactly what I want, and not how it is supposed to work, so I fired off an email to UAD. Don't expect an answer before next week, unfortunately (should have done this yesterday). I also designed up a camera mount that I will be able to glue in to the grille below the solid bumper, and I have the camera angled down at 15 degrees. This should give a good view of curbs and other low items that would hurt the spoiler, which is the whole reason I want the front camera to start with.

So, a good start, but not done yet, and it may be a week or more to get done.

The camera I posted from Amazon is an amazing deal, the contents of the package are phenomenal! Another mount option would be to drill the full bumper and just insert the camera, and they even include a drill bit to do just that. I just don't like to drill holes in visible parts of the car, and I think my camera position will give a better view of low objects.

This is the contents of the camera, all for only $18!

And here's a preview of the camera mount as it is currently designed. Subject to change:

Last edited by mcphill; 09-16-2022 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2022 | 05:07 PM

Not sure , maybe you can use the dvd feed in instead ??

Old 09-19-2022 | 09:54 AM

I have a UAD unit for sale. I bought it for my 2018 convertible R, but never installed it because I couldn’t find a good place for the external microphone. I purchased it 13 July 2022, so presumably it has the remaining warranty. It is for the Harmon Kardon head unit.

Old 09-20-2022 | 02:09 PM

Heard back from UAD. I need to enable DVR in order for the "Line In" wire to work. I turned that on, and it does now switch to the front camera when I ground the "Line In" wire. I ordered a button today, and should be able to finish wiring this all up over this coming weekend, assuming my 3D printed part fits as expected.

Old 09-24-2022 | 06:11 PM

Finished installing the front camera today. Took 6 revisions of the camera holder to get one I was happy with (complex geometry to fit the grille). Here is the final part:

Used 5-minute epoxy to glue it in to the grille:

Fit well, here it is glued in place:

Next challenge was finding a passage through the firewall. I found a "soft spot" above the fuse box in the passenger footwell. Was able to poke an Allen wrench through it and found it in the engine bay. Difficult to pinpoint in the pix, but here it is with the camera cable fed through it:

I could not see where the cable came out, it is under a corner in the sheetmetal, but this shot gives an idea of where to look:

And a close up of the line (middle of the three black wires/lines):

And here is the camera installed in the grille and the grille back in the bumper:

For the camera, I tapped the +12V from the cigarette lighter in the cabin, and used the red wire on the camera extension for the +12V. For ground I tapped in to the green connector that runs the parking sensors. I used a multimeter to find the ground wire, and tapped it. So there is now a power barrel jack and the camera composite fitting that can be disconnected and the bumper comes off completely.

Here is the bumper mounted up again:

And a close up of the camera installed:

That left the button to trigger the camera on screen. I tapped the ground line from the cigarette lighter, ran that through a small pushbutton switch, to the "Key In" line on the IDCORE unit. I mounted the pushbutton to the surround around the shifter. It's pretty well hidden from the passenger's view, and off in a "dead" corner and not very noticeable given how small the switch is (this is the switch I used:
Amazon Amazon

Close-up:

So that's all for the install! Here it is in action on the screen:

To activate, you need to be on any screen from the IDCORE unit (not the factory Jaguar screens). From there, just push the pushbutton and the screen will shift to the front camera. Getting back to the IDCORE screen is iffy so far. What seems to work best is to hit the "Navigation" button, and it will go back to CarPlay. Sometimes if I hit the pushbutton once or twice it will go back to CarPlay, but it is not consistent.

Parking sensors are working fine, backup camera works fine when shifting in to reverse.

The following 4 users liked this post by mcphill:
blgN8 (10-19-2022), Borbor (09-24-2022), MajorTom (09-25-2022), WayneB (09-25-2022)
Old 09-24-2022 | 08:59 PM

That’s fantastic. Great write up and Kudos to you for being the first.

May eventually do the same but thinking maybe camera in side mirror so can see side of the car when parking so don’t curb the wheels.

Quick Reply: UAD- CarPlay