F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Blue Jaguar F-Type Project 7 Spotted

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Not sure where you get "abuse" from? opinions are two-way streets, you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion that your opinion is silly. Now, if you want to be "serious" and have some comparison photos, specific examples, etc., I'd be happy to read. And even change my mind if your evidence is convincing! But just to come out of nowhere and say the F-Type looks like a cross between an Audi, Honda and Nissan is, IMHO, much like trolling.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

This whole conversation is ridiculous. And it deserves no further posts!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Den1948
.... in my eyes it's a cross between an Audi a Nissan and a Honda
I don't see it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-16-2015 at 07:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My point exactly!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

but seriously I am saddened to witness Jaguar leaving their heritage behind, I hope and expect the curvy lines to return in future models.
Actually, I have never seen another Jaguar that really appeals to me. The looks and performance of the F-Type is the reason I'm considering a Jaguar.

I'm unsure about the F generally, in my eyes it's a cross between an Audi a Nissan and a Honda
I'll give you the Honda, but this is probably not what you were thinking.

I showed a picture of the F-Type to my wife. She said that it looks just like my S2000. I wanted to say that it looks completely different, but I couldn't in all honesty. I just told her it looks different, but if I get one it will be silver like my S2000 (which I'm keeping forever). The fact is that if the convertible F-Type came out as the second generation Honda S2000, everyone would see the lineage and consider it an improvement on what was already a beautiful car.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Getting back to the original post....

My inside source at SVO tells me that no production cars have shipped yet. that the car shown must be a pre-production car.

Last edited by zach05855; 06-18-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brett I wasn't specifically thinking of the s2000 and yes I can see why you will keep her.
I haven't slagged the F off of course it's a good car, but it could have been a great car if only they had made sure that it was completely recognisable as a Jaguar and could not be mistaken as anything other than a jag. Google Audi sports cars, Nissan sports cars and Honda sports cars and visit the images , I think my concerns are valid and are supported by the images, the designers are playing follow the leader.brave decision to put the fin on the project car but at least this is entirely unique to jaguar ( to my knowledge) and does get my vote.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Brett I wasn't specifically thinking of the s2000 and yes I can see why you will keep her.
I haven't slagged the F off of course it's a good car, but it could have been a great car if only they had made sure that it was completely recognisable as a Jaguar and could not be mistaken as anything other than a jag. Google Audi sports cars, Nissan sports cars and Honda sports cars and visit the images , I think my concerns are valid and are supported by the images, the designers are playing follow the leader.brave decision to put the fin on the project car but at least this is entirely unique to jaguar ( to my knowledge) and does get my vote.
I just did a google for audi, nissan, and honda sports cars. In my opinion, most look nothing like the F-Type. The notable exceptions being the S2000 and Nissan 370z, but that is mainly because the F-Type has the classic long nose + short rear look which is shared by all roasters, including those cars and several others. That includes the BMW Z4, but not really Audi's as the R8 and TT don't really look like a roadster to me.

On the other hand, if you look at images of the Jag XK, Ferrari California, or most of the Aston Martin's (especially the Vanquish and DB lines) you can definitely see a resemblance. Both from the classic roadster shape, but in the lines and style choices. But those are intentional I'm sure.

Without going into exotics territory, IMO it is somewhat difficult to have a completely unique looking sports car these days, as many of the base requirements of a car's shape is set due to safety, stability, handling, and wind tunnel requirements. The shell of the car is fluid, but if you want it to have the roadster shape, be elegant looking, handle well, and still have low wind resistance, there will be a lot of similarities to others in that style. There are ways it can be distinguished, but they are generally fairly subtle without going exotic.

As for the fixed spoiler, that really isn't terribly distinctive. There are a ton of cars with those, and while I think it makes the car look very aggressive (which I like), it also makes the car look a bit less elegant... more like a full time race car or eastern-style drift car. Not a problem to me, but I know many who wouldn't appreciate that kind of aesthetic on their DD.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Merlin, fair call, yes I see the wind tunnel and safety argument, (ps I was giving the thumbs up to the D type Fin not necessarily the spoiler)I have never suggested that the F is the same in overall terms, it is the elements I pointed out in my first post that I believe jag could have avoided, perhaps my current preference is for GT which provides more scope to make the overall shape flow. I guess my biggest single bug is the similarity with the centre portion of the Audi front, I now accept that the rear is choppy because it is only a 2seater, Jaguar sports car/race cars and GT grills have predominately had a strong oval appearance, and could definitely be recognised as a jaguar from 1/2 mile away (even with my old retinas) we must discount the production saloons as they have totally lost their way over the years ??? clearly to rationalise on the Ford influence. Looks like I will have to bow down to existing owners who clearly love all aspects of the F and it's understandable that they defend their personal tastes. Perhaps my eye is too critical as I am able to see weaknesses in each of my cars and bikes with perhaps the singular exception being my Ducati. Off to GOODWOOD festival of speed next week so will be able to get my fix of cars and bikes of all shapes and sizes. Drive safe all.

Last edited by Den1948; 06-18-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: D type fin clarification
Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Just spotted a BRG Project 7 in Wiesbaden/Germany :-) Gorgeous looking car!

Attached Thumbnails Ultra Blue Jaguar F-Type Project 7 Spotted-project-7-1.jpg   Ultra Blue Jaguar F-Type Project 7 Spotted-project-7-2.jpg   Ultra Blue Jaguar F-Type Project 7 Spotted-project-7-3.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Merlin, thank for a serious response, you are very close to understanding my views, that said whilst I agree there is a need to look forward in design, (as there was in the 60's) on the previous occasion the etype was developed, however on this occasion the F has in MY view too many similarities with other manufacturer's designs. I am simply seeking a step change away from the pack, more than happy to generally align the marque with Aston Martin but as we recall the e didn't follow the db's , both were distinct from each other and most importantly from lesser manufacturers. It would appear that my post has upset someone, who may not appreciate that debate is more fitting than abuse, however that is not my problem, members generally take a mature stance and if one is not encouraged to express views then Lemmings rule. Yes I have an e type fhc but even that is not the best looking jaguar in my collection, but that's another story and by the sounds of it any mention would invoke a riot.
If you think you have been abused you don't hang around on the internet much, people have disagreed but not abused.

I disagree with your position, I don't think it is very derivative at all in my opinion, as others have said based on design rules and aerodynamics etc there is only a limited amount of room to move. However I like Jaguars decision to move away from their previous slavish following of old design cues. There is enough E in there to get the idea but not enough to make it look like a modern copy and I like that. To me it is one of the most unique and beautiful cars on the road. However taste is personal so I get you are not a fan, but most of us here are so you can't expect us not to defend our position.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default hey

Please don't hijack the new pics on this thtread to resurrect an old argument from 5 months ago.

It appears that project 7 is closer to reality

Old 11-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

There's an ultra blue project 7 at the local dealership here in Richmond, VA. It is also listed on CARS.COM, where there are also two others listed for sale (a white one and a BRG one). $165K ea (msrp), except the BRG is listed at $175k for some reason.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Jaguar of Nashville has a black Project 7 for $175,995.