F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven Wear + Steering Wheel Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Wear + Steering Wheel Vibrations

Hey guys, I love my FType. But can’t help but be annoyed by these problems I am currently experiencing.

Firstly, I have attached a photo of my rear tire. Clear as day, uneven wear. I have asked multiple people and took it to a shop, all say it’s due to my aftermarket rims (Non OEM) and how the car sits (Camber) since it’s a “sports/muscle car”.

I don’t buy it, I think there’s something more to it than just it being an after market rim? Like some ball joint? Wheel alignment? Wheel balance? Which by the way, I’ve taken it to three shops already, and they all say they “performed” the wheel balance and alignment and it was not that. I don’t know why I have my gut telling me they aren’t really fully looking for the problem, and just guessing.

Also, steering wheel… it shakes past 40mph. Need I mention, I have new rims, new tires, rear sway bar links, and wheel bearings have been replaced.

Based on your guys experience, what do you think is causing the steering wheel to shake? As well as the clear uneven wear on the tires? Thank you in advance.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:53 PM
Default Disclaimer

Tires are no more than 3 months old, also debating on switching back to OEM rims if the aftermarket rims is the problem. The only difference between the OEM rims and my aftermarket is the center bore size. AFTERMARKET is 72.6mm, OWM is like 53.4. I do have center hub rings installed to counter that.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:36 PM
Default What is this?

Hey guys, I love my FType. But can’t help but be annoyed by these problems I am currently experiencing.

Firstly, I have attached a photo of my rear tire. Clear as day, uneven wear. I have asked multiple people and took it to a shop, all say it’s due to my aftermarket rims (Non OEM) and how the car sits (Camber) since it’s a “sports/muscle car”.

I don’t buy it, I think there’s something more to it than just it being an after market rim? Like some ball joint? Wheel alignment? Wheel balance? Which by the way, I’ve taken it to three shops already, and they all say they “performed” the wheel balance and alignment and it was not that. I don’t know why I have my gut telling me they aren’t really fully looking for the problem, and just guessing.

Also, steering wheel… it shakes past 40mph. Need I mention, I have new rims, new tires, rear sway bar links, and wheel bearings have been replaced.

Based on your guys experience, what do you think is causing the steering wheel to shake? As well as the clear uneven wear on the tires? Thank you in advance.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:15 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

If the steering wheel shakes when you are not braking it could be the tires are out of balance. Have they been balanced lately? If the steering wheel shakes while braking the rotors could be warped. Good luck in tracking down the problem.

The following users liked this post:
AaronLin (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Eonos
I have new rims, new tires, rear sway bar links, and wheel bearings have been replaced.
I think it has everything to do with this statement. Did it happen before the work? How long after the work did you notice it?

Old 11-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

It is not uncommon for performance cars like the F-Type to be specified with toe-in and negative camber that causes the wear you pictured. This promotes good handling at speed (and, under high G-forces).

How many miles on those tires? How HARD do you drive it? (Some owners 'brag' about wearing out rears at less than 8,000 miles!)

That said, when we bought our F, the inside-rear was worn to the cords after 14K miles. Since having the car aligned, the wear is MUCH less. In fact, I'm becoming impatient because those P Zeros are not wearing out, even after another 15K.

You could tell your alignment shop that your concern is tire wear; a GOOD shop can set the geometry at the edge of factory specifications so as to minimize the wear. (NOT eliminate)

++++++++++++++

Assuming your hub-centering rings are properly sized to the 53.4 mm of the original, I'd look to having your front tires Road Force Balanced. Perhaps have the INSIDE of the rims measured for run-out. (Some rims are easier to bend than others, especially if they are a wider width.)

Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Do you still have the OEM wheels? If so, a quick check would be to put those back on and see what, if anything, still exists.

On the wear, is it the same on both sides?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Not aligned, wheels not balanced. Maybe a slightly bent wheel as well. All of these apply.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

I had my alignment checked at purchase
I just fitted my all seasons for the Winter
Original PZs show even wear
Fronts have about 8/32 left at 8000 miles
Rears have about 6/32 left
Figure to get another 6-8K out of the rears
I would get a good alignment to JLR specs

Old 11-29-2021, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Steering wheel shake is likely wheels out of balance or buckled from hitting pot holes