F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Jaguar's Electric Future

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Update on Jaguar's Electric Future

New car sales end November 2024 until the electric models arrive.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...ly-frustrating

Old 09-06-2024, 06:04 PM
Received 461 Likes on 248 Posts

The biggest issue here is Jaguar dealers aren't going to be able to survive on service/warranty work alone (along with used car sales) and some of the smaller ones will probably close. Jaguar actually wants to reduce its dealer count so the brand appears more bespoke and can give more personalized attention to customers wanting to pay $200K USD for an electric car, but that could leave the rest of us driving considerable distance to service our existing ICE Jaguars at a smaller dealership network. Techs may also see the writing on the wall and start moving to other makes which means the quality of remaining service could suffer as well. The salespeople aren't going to survive at all with nothing to sell, so I can't imagine them hanging around until the EVs are available for sale.

Old 09-06-2024, 08:49 PM
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

It is unheard of to "bet the farm" on a completely different process/product. Almost all who do....fail. Not liking the ideas put out by the CEO.
1) No....I am NOT going to buy a 200k electric vehicle. Not going to happen.
2) Jaguar will STILL have its bad reputation.
3) Having to expend large amounts of capital for all new machining, etc. when there is a recession is lunacy.
4) At the drop of a hat, the US election could change the entire outlook for electric vehicles. Right now, the election is a toss-up.
Why base your entire company on a toss-up?

None of this makes sense from a strategy, economic or opportunity perspective.

The following 2 users liked this post by PatentlawTX:
Golfnutjtl (Yesterday), Lothar52 (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 618 Likes on 419 Posts

Nothing to see here. The pictures are of a car that isn't even on the list of upcoming models.

Last edited by uncheel; Yesterday at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Who the Heck wants an electric Jag anyway?!? We can buy a Tesla for that... Focus on material and quality improvement... good lord can you imagine how quickly this 120k jag is gonna drop when you drive it off the lot?!? How about a 3 year old electric jag - 25k?!? Heck maybe ill get one when its pennies on the dollar - but its electric, and that means the more its been driven the less miles it will go over time presumably. Nobody wants that...so I think NOT.
Hydrogen is the answer - and we aren’t there just yet!

Last edited by Lothar52; Yesterday at 04:20 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM
Received 159 Likes on 119 Posts

The big takeaway from this article is if you want to order an F-Pace you have until November to do so. After that you are out of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 618 Likes on 419 Posts

If anyone really wants to buy a F-Pace, I wouldn't wait to place an order. Last change date is typically 6 weeks or so before production, and, if they're really shutting down, option choices may become gated by parts availability on hand.

On the flip side, I wouldn't be surprised if F-Pace production extends into next year. It's the only model that has been profitable in a while, and the SUV's aren't part of the initial EV launch. Plus, they're not made in Castle Bromwich which has already been shut down for conversion.

Personally, I love my F-Pace and would prefer it to the (unknown) EV alternative, but I wouldn't be buying an end-of-life model from a brand that is changing it's technology and collapsing its network. Jaguar is facing an extended transition period and it's likely to be painful.

Old Today, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 350 Likes on 258 Posts

An EV Jag hold -ZERO- excitement for me. Yuk. Go fast? Probably. But like cooking a steak in a microwave. For the virtual signalers all in on the C-fraud.

The following 5 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
J444G (Today), Lothar52 (Today), sov211 (Today), Turko (Today), uncheel (Today)
Old Today, 03:29 PM
Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Berts comment ......

" cooking a steak in a microwave. "
Nailed it !
👍

The following 2 users liked this post by Turko:
Old Today, 03:34 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Old Today, 04:07 PM
Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

“It became necessary to destroy the town company to save it.”

My prediction: Tata will continue to demand subsidies from the British government to keep jobs and the hallmark in the UK.
Finally, the government, after billions invested, will declare a "lost cause" assuming the end of the company.
Then, Jaguar will rise like the phoenix, using the machinery and technology purchased at fire sale prices, PROUDLY producing IC gasoline and diesel vehicles in India and China.
It's OK. The only constant in life is change.

Last edited by Bill400; Today at 04:13 PM. Reason: format
Old Today, 04:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

What the hell are they doing? They've had years to plan this transition and they're going to completely stop sales before the next cars are ready? All their dealerships are going to shutdown. How do they think this will work?

Old Today, 05:14 PM
Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian McCann
What the hell are they doing? They've had years to plan this transition and they're going to completely stop sales before the next cars are ready? All their dealerships are going to shutdown. How do they think this will work?
Tell me about it, you almost have to wonder if this is a way to force more to close in a brutal way or something.

I’m starting to understand all the dealers in Canada banding together and suing them. It’s like, can’t they throw them a bone and at least keep their profitable reasonably high selling SUV selling afloat alongside the transition? It seems crazy to not to.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (Today)
Old Today, 05:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,145 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Originally Posted by Turko
" cooking a steak in a microwave. "
Nailed it !
👍
Perhaps your new EV will have a microwave instead of a glovebox. Fresh popcorn while commuting!