F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Jaguar's Electric Future

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Received 463 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Volvo in recent days announced they have abandoned their plan to be full EV by 2030. They said in their release that the market won’t allow for it.

I personally think Jaguar will be making some announcement of their own.

The market is buying hybrids. Why they don’t do that and a bit of EV is beyond me.,.And ideally leave some ICE on the table too, as that is market share they will no longer have access to at all…Which is lunacy…

I really do believe alongside all of this speculation of ours that there must be some adults in the room over there at Jaguar. There must be. Right? Lol
Jaguar claimed that the only ICE vehicle that was profitable in their lineup was the F-Pace. It was also their best seller and it's why it continues to be built (at least through 12/31/24).

At this point, the brand cache is worth more than the brand itself. It's been said before but I could absolutely see Tata sell off Jaguar to a Chinese company to become a luxury EV brand and keep just Land Rover for themselves (which was the profitable half of the equation). The brand name still means luxury and China's EV market is proliferating in the lower end but not a lot of luxury players--yet.

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Received 168 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Jaguar claimed that the only ICE vehicle that was profitable in their lineup was the F-Pace. It was also their best seller and it's why it continues to be built (at least through 12/31/24).

At this point, the brand cache is worth more than the brand itself. It's been said before but I could absolutely see Tata sell off Jaguar to a Chinese company to become a luxury EV brand and keep just Land Rover for themselves (which was the profitable half of the equation). The brand name still means luxury and China's EV market is proliferating in the lower end but not a lot of luxury players--yet.
Yup, this seems to be a dominant theory that keeps surfacing. Here’s to hoping this does not happen. Talk about the end of an era of it were to go down. I guess money talks, so it’s certainly conceivable. Darnit it would be disappointing if that played out.

Well, I guess really it’s already the end of just based on current plans. Them falling into the hands of the Chinese would just be the cherry on top.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 422 Posts

"Them falling into the hands of the Chinese would just be the cherry on top."

Or, in this case, Cheri.

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
OzXFR (Yesterday), Thunder Dump (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
“It became necessary to destroy the town company to save it.”

My prediction: Tata will continue to demand subsidies from the British government to keep jobs and the hallmark in the UK.
Finally, the government, after billions invested, will declare a "lost cause" assuming the end of the company.
Then, Jaguar will rise like the phoenix, using the machinery and technology purchased at fire sale prices, PROUDLY producing IC gasoline and diesel vehicles in India and China.
It's OK. The only constant in life is change.
Honestly, if it means Jag ICE remains (or returns), id honestly be OK with that ONLY of the only other option is all crazy expensive EVs or nothing at all.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
Volvo in recent days announced they have abandoned their plan to be full EV by 2030. They said in their release that the market won’t allow for it.

I personally think Jaguar will be making some announcement of their own.

The market is buying hybrids. Why they don’t do that and a bit of EV is beyond me.,.And ideally leave some ICE on the table too, as that is market share they will no longer have access to at all…Which is lunacy…
Because of egotistical idealism. I feel pretty sure thwir plan won't work at all but unsure what the fallout and correction will be.

Old Today, 04:15 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,138 Posts

EVs aren't suitable for most people's use cases - you needs lots of money to buy them, and have access to off-road parking to charge them, and don't do frequent long journeys (or fun rides!). Not to mention the potential fire risks of lithium batteries. But politicians don't look at things objectively.

Old Today, 04:46 AM
Received 111 Likes on 47 Posts

I know lots of folk (not on here, just in general) seem to frown upon plug-in hybrids, but father bought a Toyota RAV4 PHEV some 3 years ago and it has been perfect for his requirements. So far, this year, he's run around 5000 miles and put in a total of 80L of fuel and still got 350 miles of petrol range left in the current fill. 99% of his journeys are short, local trips, so the 57-mile battery range (yes, it's currently doing that, but drops to high 30s / low 40s at best in Winter) is ideal, but he is also not then constrained by range anxiety as the petrol takes over for the longer drives. And if he runs out of petrol, he can stop at any one of thousands of petrol stations and be on his way in a couple of minutes max. Just for a laugh, a couple of years ago, we looked at recharging the battery at a motorway service stop. The electric charging point needed an app to use, but neither of us had a mobile phone signal there. Oh and it was 3x the cost of our normal daytime electric back home.

We're also lucky that we have a driveway, so the car is charged overnight when it runs out.

Electric is a solution for some people, but it is far from being the only solution.

Old Today, 04:58 AM
Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

JLR 2023 Annual Report: https://media.jaguar.com/annual-report-2023

Pound Revenue: £22.8billion
Profit before tax and exceptional items: £64million (Loss)

Maybe accounting tricks, but if JLR has been losing money every year since 2019, it may make sense to shut down production.

Free cash flow: £521million
Net debt: £3.0billion

Per Wiki

Felipe Munoz blames FORD, market placement, and old products for Jaguar sales decline:
https://www.motor1.com/news/656721/w...otor1-numbers/

Old Today, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cluck
I know lots of folk (not on here, just in general) seem to frown upon plug-in hybrids, but father bought a Toyota RAV4 PHEV some 3 years ago and it has been perfect for his requirements. So far, this year, he's run around 5000 miles and put in a total of 80L of fuel and still got 350 miles of petrol range left in the current fill. 99% of his journeys are short, local trips, so the 57-mile battery range (yes, it's currently doing that, but drops to high 30s / low 40s at best in Winter) is ideal, but he is also not then constrained by range anxiety as the petrol takes over for the longer drives. And if he runs out of petrol, he can stop at any one of thousands of petrol stations and be on his way in a couple of minutes max. Just for a laugh, a couple of years ago, we looked at recharging the battery at a motorway service stop. The electric charging point needed an app to use, but neither of us had a mobile phone signal there. Oh and it was 3x the cost of our normal daytime electric back home.

We're also lucky that we have a driveway, so the car is charged overnight when it runs out.

Electric is a solution for some people, but it is far from being the only solution.
Do people really frown on plug-in hybrids? In these parts I don’t think that is the case. If anything hybrids look more attractive now because they are a good balance.

Also, isn’t it a problem for hybrids if you only always run them on electric power and never on gas? I thought I remembered reading some articles that this can cause the vehicle grief, and that it is advisable to consciously run them on gas power here and there even if you don’t require the gas…Just so it’s exercised a bit…Pretty sure I read that at one one…Also, I suppose having gas sitting around in the vehicle aging is not overly great either…

Those RAV4 plug-in hybrids are some of the best out there. I believe you’re still on a huge wait list if you want one.

Old Today, 05:28 AM

Yup, a lot of reviewers blather on about "you're carrying around this heavy battery all the time". The big problem here is that they were very popular with company car buyers because they attracted a vey low tax rate, and were bought for that reason alone, never once getting charged up - many cars were getting returned at the end of their lease with the charging cable still in the original sealed bag in the boot. And yes, if you predominantly do lots of miles per day then a PHEV is a bad car to own, but for the average person they are perfect.

As for fuel, we only put low-ethanol fuel (5% max) in the RAV4, with additional stabiliser additives, to counter some of the problems of it not getting used much. That said, some fuel does get used throughout the week, as the fuel range depletes gradually over time even if we don't consciously select the petrol mode.

Regarding waiting list, father bought his in 2021. He called the local Toyota dealer, after we test drive a few similar cars, and we had to wait the ridiculous time of ..... 2 weeks!

Old Today, 05:42 AM

Yup, a lot of reviewers blather on about "you're carrying around this heavy battery all the time". The big problem here is that they were very popular with company car buyers because they attracted a vey low tax rate, and were bought for that reason alone, never once getting charged up - many cars were getting returned at the end of their lease with the charging cable still in the original sealed bag in the boot. And yes, if you predominantly do lots of miles per day then a PHEV is a bad car to own, but for the average person they are perfect.

As for fuel, we only put low-ethanol fuel (5% max) in the RAV4, with additional stabiliser additives, to counter some of the problems of it not getting used much. That said, some fuel does get used throughout the week, as the fuel range depletes gradually over time even if we don't consciously select the petrol mode.

Regarding waiting list, father bought his in 2021. He called the local Toyota dealer, after we test drive a few similar cars, and we had to wait the ridiculous time of ..... 2 weeks!
Differences in locales I think. I have a friend that tried to purchase one not too long ago and availability was poor. Would have been a long wait.

At least in the North American market, I think Jag would have some customers if they had a plug-in hybrid.

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (Today)
Old Today, 06:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Of course, frequently running the petrol engine cold is really good for longevity ....

The following users liked this post:
Cluck (Today)
Old Today, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Of course, frequently running the petrol engine cold is really good for longevity ....
no comment

Anyhoo, that will be Toyota's problem since the car will have a 10-year warranty within a couple years - it came with a 3-year warranty, but that gets extended by a year (up to 10-years maximum warranty) for every service that gets done at a Toyota dealer, so we've already extended another 3 years.

Old Today, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 607 Likes on 415 Posts

Toyota has several videos on how their hybrid/electric/fuel cell vehicles work. Good viewing, if you want to learn. The way they start/run the engines unobtrusively is great, MUCH better than our F's ECO-start/stop.

I know that Audi has their hybrids start the engine periodically to mitigate issues with infrequent running of the ICE.

Old Today, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 422 Posts

There's a piece of me that wants to like the idea of a hybrid. Versus an EV, they can eliminate the range issue, the smaller battery consumes use a fraction of the natural resources and lowers the weight, plus it can provide a boost in power to supplement a smaller engine with better gas mileage. But, it's also the worst of both worlds, since you have to build/maintain both drive systems.