Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade cooling system on ftype v6 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Upgrade cooling system on ftype v6 base

From the information available on the forums, it seems like the next barrier to increasing hp is to mitigate limitations imposed by the stock cooling system.

If the cooling system is improved, hp can be increase by
  1. Adding a smaller upper pulley
2. being able to run a more aggressive tune

Now, I’m not much of an automotive engineer but it seems like using a air to water intercooler might be a solution. Does this seem practical? I know the ftype engine compartment doesn’t have much spare space. Any input is appreciated

Old 08-09-2020, 02:38 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

you will have to upgrade your intercooler i think that's enough for a pulley upgrade

Old 08-09-2020, 03:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.allisport.com/shop/perfo...oler-radiator/

allisport make and supply the uprated coolers to viezu and paramount performance only difference.... half the retail price before you tuner tax

https://www.paramount-performance.co...v6-tuning.html

Old 08-09-2020, 06:45 AM
Obi

Thank you for the responses!

I believe Chris (VAP) said somewhere that even with the upgraded intercooler, chances are post intercooler IATs aren’t cooled efficiently. So, the time to heat soak isn’t effected, but there is faster time to recovery with the upgraded intercooler.

Think it is like saying you can push the car as hard more often, but you can’t push the car harder. By harder I mean with an upper pulley or a more aggressive tune effectively increasing hp.

As stated earlier I’m not much of a mechanical engineer.. but do have decent pattern recognition skills. It looks like BMW went from a to a to a to w intercooler (N55 to B58, I used to drive a 335i) I believe the Audi’s (s4 s5 Ect) have a to w intercooler upgrades for there 3.0L supercharged platform

Old 08-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
From the information available on the forums, it seems like the next barrier to increasing hp is to mitigate limitations imposed by the stock cooling system.

If the cooling system is improved, hp can be increase by
  1. Adding a smaller upper pulley
2. being able to run a more aggressive tune

Now, I’m not much of an automotive engineer but it seems like using a air to water intercooler might be a solution. Does this seem practical? I know the ftype engine compartment doesn’t have much spare space. Any input is appreciated
The supercharged F Types, both 3L V6 and 5L V8 have air to water intercooler as standard. As others have posted there are larger / upgraded water intercooler/ radiator available for the F Type.

The upgrade probably won't do any harm and may even be beneficial, that said I haven't seen any measurements that will show that inlet air temperature (IAT) are either too high on standard or tuned motors or even that the "upgrade" produces lower IAT under similar tune/ driving / ambient temperature conditions.

Lower IAT is always going to benefit power production and stop reduction in power as temperatures creep upwards, it's just that most of these modifications don't come with before and after data to demonstrate they achieved the claimed benefits.

Another modification along the same lines is to replace the electric coolant pump that circulates intercooler water with a higher flow rate pump.

A few owners have used a Bosch pump used on Mercedes Benz and other cars
Model 0 392 022 010

although I believe a slightly higher output pump is available from Pierburg
  • Name: "Pierburg CWA100-3"
  • Operation voltage: 8-16 volts
  • Weight: approx. 1.0 kg
  • Current consumption: 8.5A max. / (approx. 0.2mA in standby mode)
  • Nominal diff. pressure: ≥ 0.75 bar *
  • Flow rate: approx. 30-35 l/min @ 0.75bar / 40-45 l/min @ 0.50bar
  • Speed: approx. 7000 rpm
  • Temperature range: -40°C – 110°C (water) / -40°C – 120°C (ambient)
  • Protection: IP 67 + IP 69 K

Part numbers:

• Pierburg: 7.04934.54.0
  • VAG: 4N0965567

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (05-14-2024)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:57 AM
Obi

Originally Posted by Paul_59
The supercharged F Types, both 3L V6 and 5L V8 have air to water intercooler as standard. As others have posted there are larger / upgraded water intercooler/ radiator available for the F Type.

The upgrade probably won't do any harm and may even be beneficial, that said I haven't seen any measurements that will show that inlet air temperature (IAT) are either too high on standard or tuned motors or even that the "upgrade" produces lower IAT under similar tune/ driving / ambient temperature conditions.

Lower IAT is always going to benefit power production and stop reduction in power as temperatures creep upwards, it's just that most of these modifications don't come with before and after data to demonstrate they achieved the claimed benefits.

Another modification along the same lines is to replace the electric coolant pump that circulates intercooler water with a higher flow rate pump.

A few owners have used a Bosch pump used on Mercedes Benz and other cars
Model 0 392 022 010

although I believe a slightly higher output pump is available from Pierburg
  • Name: "Pierburg CWA100-3"
  • Operation voltage: 8-16 volts
  • Weight: approx. 1.0 kg
  • Current consumption: 8.5A max. / (approx. 0.2mA in standby mode)
  • Nominal diff. pressure: ≥ 0.75 bar *
  • Flow rate: approx. 30-35 l/min @ 0.75bar / 40-45 l/min @ 0.50bar
  • Speed: approx. 7000 rpm
  • Temperature range: -40°C – 110°C (water) / -40°C – 120°C (ambient)
  • Protection: IP 67 + IP 69 K

Part numbers:

• Pierburg: 7.04934.54.0
  • VAG: 4N0965567

Much appreciates good sir! Will look into those pumps.

I believe Chris said in 50F ambient temp the crank pulley will see 175-180F out of the compressor. the intercooler decreases that by 50F, so about 130 to the intake valves

Now I don’t know what too high of temperature is, but I think the line of thought was that if ignition timing is pulled and the internal bypass is opened up mid run, then whatever the post IAT temperature was was too high(I’m assuming around 130 F)