F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Brake Disks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Upgraded Brake Disks

A bit of forward planning going on here, but the next time I replace my pads, I am pretty sure I will have to replace my disks as well and I want to swap them out for some sexier ones (it is an affliction I have) and being where I am geographically, I have to order in advance......

I have already changed my pads out to the ceramics, and I don't need to go full 'Carbon Ceramic'. but just 'better' if you know what I mean..

I have the base vert, with the none upgraded brakes......

Last edited by GGG; 01-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ceramic pads are not the same thing as carbon ceramic brake system. Ceramic pads are usually harder and noisier pads that deliver worse performance but last long time... an economy option for non-performance vehicles in other words. If you want to upgrade brakes, as opposed to downgrade, ceramic pads isn't the way to go.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Ceramic pads are not the same thing as carbon ceramic brake system. Ceramic pads are usually harder and noisier pads that deliver worse performance but last long time... an economy option for non-performance vehicles in other words. If you want to upgrade brakes, as opposed to downgrade, ceramic pads isn't the way to go.
Gotta disagree, in my experience ceramic brake pads are softer acting and much quieter than the OEM Jag pads, same performance although much reduced initial bite, and waaaaaaay less brake dust.
So ceramic pads are the way to go with either stock or after-market iron rotors.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Avoid StopTech. My rears cracked all the way through after about 600 miles and one trackday.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I would highly recommend the Wortecs, but they probably are not producing them yet for the base brake setup. However, if you found half a dozen others with the same size brakes to place orders, I suspect they would produce them for you.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would highly recommend the Wortecs.
Thanks, I will look into that. Are these more track oriented, or are they for general muggles for the road like me?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey
Thanks, I will look into that. Are these more track oriented, or are they for general muggles for the road like me?
Either. They look great and will reduce unsprung weight by a total of 40 lbs, offering a slightly smoother ride and more responsive handling.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 AM

They do indeed look very nice, expensive?

Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 AM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Check this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-197525/

Paul quoted me GBP 2,700 for a set when I last asked him.

If the price is OK with you, you'd need to get in touch with Paul (paul@wortec.co.uk ) to ask him about building it for the base brake setup.

Funnily enough, I am also looking to buy these soon so perhaps we jointly can ask Paul for some discount (I am also in the UAE )

Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ss23

If the price is OK with you, you'd need to get in touch with Paul (paul@wortec.co.uk ) to ask him about building it for the base brake setup.

Funnily enough, I am also looking to buy these soon so perhaps we jointly can ask Paul for some discount (I am also in the UAE )
Thing is, the "super performance" brakes bolt straight up both front and rear on an F-Type with the base ("performance") brakes so to fit the existing Wortec rotors you only need to add the bigger calipers, caliper brackets, splash shields and pads. And you will end up with much more powerful and better looking brakes.
But of course those new calipers, brackets, shields and pads will cost a pretty penny on top of the cost of the Wortec rotors so it's swings and roundabouts.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:11 AM

Nice to meet another UAE resident! Where are you? Have only seen a few F's around, they are few and far between..

Anyway, I have to fix my supercharger first (it sounds like a Massey Ferguson tractor at the moment, so that is a nose replacement) and then I want to get my VAP tune, so there is $2K so I am not sure I would get the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) necessary for such a purchase for my 'Toy' so quickly that doesn't involve engine detonation, or death due to not stopping, i.e. necessity over 'wish'...

Also, I notice that you have 'Sold' on your base and you now have a V8? Aren't they different brakes?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 AM

Nice to meet another UAE resident! Where are you? Have only seen a few F's around, they are few and far between..

Anyway, I have to fix my supercharger first (it sounds like a Massey Ferguson tractor at the moment, so that is a nose replacement) and then I want to get my VAP tune, so there is $2K so I am not sure I would get the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) necessary for such a purchase for my 'Toy' so quickly that doesn't involve engine detonation, or death due to not stopping, i.e. necessity over 'wish'...

Also, I notice that you have 'Sold' on your base and you now have a V8? Aren't they different brakes?
Based in Dubai as well and couldn't agree more, I see more Ferraris than F-Types!

Shame about the supercharger, you might get withdrawal symptoms shortly after you give her in . The VAP tune is great, really livens up the car (although you should also look at getting the crank pulley installed but I guess you'd be struggling with the WAF at that point ).

I would be getting the Super Performance size but I'm hoping Paul can still offer *some* discount if we order 2 and share the shipping expenses as well. If you're interested, think you should just shoot him across an e-mail and ask if he can make them for the Performance brake size. He might already have the dimensions because they're the same brakes as quite a few Jags. Alternatively, would you be interested in upgrading to the larger brakes as OzXFR suggested? Think he documented his upgrade in a thread somewhere....

Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 AM

Based in Dubai as well and couldn't agree more, I see more Ferraris than F-Types!

Shame about the supercharger, you might get withdrawal symptoms shortly after you give her in . The VAP tune is great, really livens up the car (although you should also look at getting the crank pulley installed but I guess you'd be struggling with the WAF at that point ).

I would be getting the Super Performance size but I'm hoping Paul can still offer *some* discount if we order 2 and share the shipping expenses as well. If you're interested, think you should just shoot him across an e-mail and ask if he can make them for the Performance brake size. He might already have the dimensions because they're the same brakes as quite a few Jags. Alternatively, would you be interested in upgrading to the larger brakes as OzXFR suggested? Think he documented his upgrade in a thread somewhere....
Larger brakes probably not an option, I simply don't need them for normal day to day to be honest unless you count some of the tailgating lunatics we get here causing an accident in front of me!!

Supercharger is a quick and easy (but expensive) fix, only takes a few hours to change out a nose (far cheaper than a whole unit though if it fixes the problem) so 1 day only.... Need to get that done, then VAP, theeeen think about new toys (just did pads etc so I don't 'need' new rotors just yet).

I also have to think about 'Diminishing Returns', as mine is not getting any younger (or adding value) and a $3K brake upgrade may never pay for itself......

Anyhoo, best not to rely (and wait) on me, if you can find somebody who will go in with you would be better.

What part of Dubai are you in, what colour? Maybe I have seen you around?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 PM

Larger brakes probably not an option, I simply don't need them for normal day to day to be honest unless you count some of the tailgating lunatics we get here causing an accident in front of me!!

Supercharger is a quick and easy (but expensive) fix, only takes a few hours to change out a nose (far cheaper than a whole unit though if it fixes the problem) so 1 day only.... Need to get that done, then VAP, theeeen think about new toys (just did pads etc so I don't 'need' new rotors just yet).

I also have to think about 'Diminishing Returns', as mine is not getting any younger (or adding value) and a $3K brake upgrade may never pay for itself......

Anyhoo, best not to rely (and wait) on me, if you can find somebody who will go in with you would be better.

What part of Dubai are you in, what colour? Maybe I have seen you around?
I live around the Sports City area but drive to Sharjah and back everyday for work (160 kms a day)! I've had two verts, one red base and a white V8s, which I've (shhhh!) rebadged an R. You may have recognised either because they're both really loud (VAP exhausts with the 200 cell cats).

Indeed regarding the diminishing returns although I'm hoping to keep mine for at least another few years yet. Just don't see anything available/forthcoming in the market that would compel me to change. Plus 650+ hp and a (targeted) 150 lbs weight reduction is more than enough for me!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:09 AM

Not far from you, Sustainable City, and ditto on the Sharjah run every day down the 311, pain in the ar$e, many many loonies, and a lot of miles on my car!! Hoping to move back to a job in Media City soon, so a lot less miles..

Plan to keep mine for the foreseeable future to be honest. Once I get the supercharger fixed, it will be almost like new. The guy I bought it off didn't take care of it, so I got it cheap and fixed it all up (door marked paint dents and chips, kerbed wheels, new tyres, brakes (EBC pads) sticky buttons and a few other things), mechanicals were great, apart from the SC so that is the last thing to do, then it is go time for the VAP, and +- 410 horses, plenty for a daily driver!! Would really like to do the rest of the brakes, but that is wish list at the mo...

Would possibly do what you have done and swap it out for a V8 if the finances allowed, but just buying a new place in the sun at the moment, so, priorities....

With you on the availability of anything that floats my boat. The new Boxster has been ruined with a 4 banger, the new Supra looks interesting, but it is still a Toyota (will leave that one for the youngsters), Masers are not my thing, Audi's/Beemers/Mercs are for the sheeple for the most part (apart from an M4 maybe, or SLS), just about the only thing that would cause me to raid the pension fund would be the new AM's.... Sat in the new models at the Grand Prix this year and they are indeed, moy caliente!!