F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading a 2017 R

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading a 2017 R

There’s an interesting thread on the forum about comparing F-Type Rs and SVRs. Inevitably someone brings up is it worth the extra money for 25 hp. Which made me curious. Can anyone tell me how they get the 25 hp more on the SVR? Is it a reprogrammed chip, a different mass air flow meter, is it the titanium exhaust? I tried to talk to my dealer service technician but I got “I don’t know.”

Old 08-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

My Jag salesman told me to give him extra $20K in cash, unmarked bills only, he'll happily replace my "R" badging with "SVR", & voila, there's my extra 25 horses.
I passed...

The following users liked this post:
J444G (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by LtColDave
There’s an interesting thread on the forum about comparing F-Type Rs and SVRs. Inevitably someone brings up is it worth the extra money for 25 hp. Which made me curious. Can anyone tell me how they get the 25 hp more on the SVR? Is it a reprogrammed chip, a different mass air flow meter, is it the titanium exhaust? I tried to talk to my dealer service technician but I got “I don’t know.”
Yes...the extra 25 HP is just a tune adjustment. If you buy an R (or V8 S for that matter), and get a VAP tune, you will far exceed the extra 25 HP on the SVR (Unless, they get a tune also), then you are all equal again

While not an exhaustive list, there are other differences in the R and SVR...SVR has some Titanium exhaust parts (and different exhaust than R), Some Lambo/quilt stitching, different front bumper cover, different hood louvers, badging obviously, and a different rear wing/spoiler to name the main ones.

Personal preference as to whether it is worth the extra $$. There are fewer SVR's produced (and it has ceased) as well...

DC

Old 08-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

The ability to shed up to 113 pounds of weight which must include the ceramic brake package to accomplish, an increase of 14 lb/ft of torque, slightly wider tires and a 200 MPH top end compared to 186 MPH are a few other differences between the R and SVR. I'll never take the car up to 186 let alone 200, but the potential weight savings is probably the biggest plus in my opinion.

Last edited by Portlander; 08-05-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:45 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
While not an exhaustive list, there are other differences in the R and SVR...SVR has some Titanium exhaust parts (and different exhaust than R), Some Lambo/quilt stitching, different front bumper cover, different hood louvers, badging obviously, and a different rear wing/spoiler to name the main ones.
The SVR suspension has been tweaked, too, and that's been carried forward to the new R models now they've discontinued the SVR.

Portlander (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:22 PM
Xec
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

It's interesting even in the used market, the SVR's seem to retain its additional $20-25K price premium to comparable used R models

When I was deciding between the two, I went for the SVR mainly for the exhaust. I also liked the wing (completes the silhouette imo), quilted interior, front bumper (no gills), and the rear diffuser.

The least important thing to me was the extra HP bump. Can't tell the difference and not the point of these cars. My AMG is faster than the SVR.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:50 PM

No disrespect but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that your AMG C63S is faster unless it's modified? My friend has your same model year and I take him off the line and from a roll to the point where he won't play anymore. The published times for the AMG are 3.7 to 60 and an 11.9 quarter which aren't even close to the SVR (3.3 and 11.4). The AMG weighs more, is not as aerodynamic, RWD limited, and has 72 less HP. I absolutely love the C63S and it was number 2 on my short list of cars to purchase with the Cayman GTS finishing 3rd.

Last edited by Portlander; 08-05-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:11 PM
Xec

Originally Posted by Portlander
No disrespect but I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that your AMG C63S is faster unless it's modified? My friend has your same model year and I take him off the line and from a roll to the point where he won't play anymore. The published times for the AMG are 3.7 to 60 and an 11.9 quarter which aren't even close to the SVR (3.3 and 11.4). The AMG weighs more, is not as aerodynamic, RWD limited, and has 72 less HP. I absolutely love the C63S and it was number 2 on my short list of cars to purchase with the Cayman GTS finishing 3rd.
Sorry I should've clarified - the C63S (sedan) was faster than my SVR on a roll at least when I've tested both of my cars

Not a super scientific test, done in Mexico obviously starting at ~60mph. C63S pulled just past the SVR.

I mean the numbers check out, they have the exact same torque figure but the C63S is 200 lbs lighter. Mercedes underrates the HP, stock it dynos near 550 at the crank

The SVR murders the Mercedes at a dig. Does your friend have a coupe? The sedan is faster than the coupe in a straight line (probably because the coupe weighs about the same as a SVR)

Edit: I checked the trap speeds for the published quarter mile and both the C63S sedan and the SVR trap at 122mph. Think this is line with what I found testing both my cars. Anyways, I love the SVR and personally rolls don't matter much to me since those speeds are really not realistic for daily driving and the only thing that matters is being able to smoke other cars off the line! I've actually been thinking about selling my C... don't drive it much anymore since getting the SVR.

Last edited by Xec; 08-05-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:38 PM

Car & Driver has the curb weight for the SVR at 3763 and 3968 for the C63S Coupe so the advantage goes to the Jaguar, options on both cars can negate the difference either way. I do agree with your from a roll assessment due to their almost equal trap speeds in the quarter. Who ever gets a slight jump will not be caught in the upper end and the Mercedes HP figures are definitely more underrated than the Jaguar. Both cars are superb and I will always include the F-Type R in the same discussion as I previously owned one and it's just a tick behind the SVR in performance. My friend owns a grey coupe with the stunning red interior which I give the edge to over my red interior!

Xec (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Xec

Car & Driver has the curb weight for the SVR at 3763 and 3968 for the C63S Coupe so the advantage goes to the Jaguar, options on both cars can negate the difference either way. I do agree with your from a roll assessment due to their almost equal trap speeds in the quarter. Who ever gets a slight jump will not be caught in the upper end and the Mercedes HP figures are definitely more underrated than the Jaguar. Both cars are superb and I will always include the F-Type R in the same discussion as I previously owned one and it's just a tick behind the SVR in performance. My friend owns a grey coupe with the stunning red interior which I give the edge over my red interior!
I thought our SVR's weighed in at around 4100+? Per this C&D test it's 4104 and I think our door placard says something like 4147

Agreed on the difference is very close on a roll and in pretty unrealistic driving speeds... And I can tell you the C63S doesn't even sound half as good as the SVR when you put your foot down

I absolutely adore the red interior on our SVR's. I have it in mine too... when I saw it I knew it was the one! The Mercedes has nice LED's and screens but there's something old school and stylish with the quilted interior in our Jags and analogue dials that just ticks all the boxes

Old 08-05-2021, 05:59 PM

I love my red interior also but the Mercedes interior just looks and feels more expensive and higher tech to me if that makes any sense. Kind of wish my seats had some black trim pieces to help tone down the overall red explosion just a little. The vehicle curb weight from the F-Type brochure has the SVR Coupe @ 3759 and the Convertible @ 3792 which is pretty close to Car & Driver's numbers. Your figures sound like gross weight (including passengers, max fluids etc) which even the magazines mix up at times. Don't forget, the C63S has a back seat and that big *** medallion on the front grill : )

Last edited by Portlander; 08-05-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Xec (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 12:39 AM
Xec

I love my red interior also but the Mercedes interior just looks and feels more expensive and higher tech to me if that makes any sense. Kind of wish my seats had some black trim pieces to help tone down the overall red explosion just a little.
Haha fair enough, Mercedes does make nice looking interiors. The E63S has an absolutely unreal interior.

I actually love the all-red look but I can see the appeal of some black to contrast. I ended up spec'ing black/black for mine but I was torn between black/red and also the platinum white

Your figures sound like gross weight (including passengers, max fluids etc) which even the magazines mix up at times. Don't forget, the C63S has a back seat and that big *** medallion on the front grill : )
Lmao!

Old 08-06-2021, 06:39 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Kind of wish my seats had some black trim pieces to help tone down the overall red explosion just a little.
Like this?

Old 08-06-2021, 07:36 AM

Exactly! Or I'd even settle for the center console/arm rest to be in black to break it up a little. We have pretty much the same color combo scm, and I must say that you have exquisite taste!

Old 08-06-2021, 08:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member

We have pretty much the same color combo scm, and I must say that you have exquisite taste!
I was about to say that to you!

Portlander (08-06-2021)