F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper pulley swap on 5.0l SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
been a while since i browsed the tuner threads - have tuners sorted the issue with disappearing oe crackle/burble post reflash yet?
In fact, we have also been able to introduce it to models like the FPace that never had it from the factory

Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
But yet you sell aluminum ones on your web site?
Please read carefully above, we are finalizing a composite one. We use steel for in shop upgrades and the aluminum ones for easy end user install. We have discouraged sales of the aluminum ones

Old 01-31-2018, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Mina Gallery does indeed offer a 60.5 upper pulley (and it is aluminum). Aluminum does not create a slippage issue as long as the fit offers sufficient interference. To get mine on the SC shaft we had to put massive amount of heat to it. It was not easy.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Mina Gallery does indeed offer a 60.5 upper pulley (and it is aluminum). Aluminum does not create a slippage issue as long as the fit offers sufficient interference. To get mine on the SC shaft we had to put massive amount of heat to it. It was not easy.
Unhinged, please read carefully. BELT slippage, not shaft/pulley slippage. Just because it is sold by others as well, it doesn't make it the best/proper option. It's aluminium so it's easy to install by the "home" mechanic.
If it was the best choice, a manufacturer would use it too instead of steel...

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
SVR still runs 13psi. I would suspect the project 8 runs 15.
Hi Stuart,
I don't doubt your information about SVR and R having the same boost limit on their standard tune, but am curious what leads to the 26PS power increase on the SVR at the same maximum power revs of 6500rpm ?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Hi Stuart,
I don't doubt your information about SVR and R having the same boost limit on their standard tune, but am curious what leads to the 26PS power increase on the SVR at the same maximum power revs of 6500rpm ?
That is simply tuning the 550hp R engine. Boost isn't the only factor you can optimize.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack.

So what gives a buyer "the best bang for the buck"? Is a tune alone the best way to go? Or are the pulley(s) {now requiring a tune to optimize the upgrade} a better value?

How much better numbers does a tune alone generate?

Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze

So what gives a buyer "the best bang for the buck"? Is a tune alone the best way to go? Or are the pulley(s) {now requiring a tune to optimize the upgrade} a better value?

That's an easy one; the tune is by FAR the best $$$/hp choice. On the V8 you can chose up to just over 600 hp (+100 crank hp from the stock V8S levels) with no hardware changes whatsoever. The VAP tune I have (which I haven't installed yet - long story) can be set at 550/575/605 depending on what you want.

This thread has the rest of the answers you are seeking; basically upper pulley doesn't do much compared to a lower pulley and neither will increase peak power without a tune. Even with a tune the lower pulley only adds maybe 40 - 45hp max....the SC pulley less than half that...

Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 01-31-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Without any doubt ECU flashing should be your first upgrade. Consider the other ones as add-ons for later. Of course we work with Viezu and we sell those tunes. The 550hp base R goes straight to 600HP with a terrific increase of torque along the entire rev range.The best $735.00 you can spend on your car.

The following users liked this post:
Jireh777 (02-21-2021)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 AM

Tuning should be the first port of call. Are you looking at this for a V8 or V6?

Our world-leading software is available to forum members at a 10% discount using the coupon code JAGFORUMS at $895. 100% custom tailored to your specifications & preferences, up to 5 modified files and no charge for re-tunes if the dealer updates your software.

Only the best!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Itismejoshy (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by STP_Tuning
Stuart a 60.5mm pulley (I guess you did your homework on our work) can be fitted without shaving the snout on most engines, few require minor grinding of high spots. It's just not a cheap aluminum pulley. As a matter of fact Eaton strongly discourages using aluminum for the supercharger pulley due to the fact that it has greater slippage over steel (of course there are surface treatments for the pulley if one wants). The only reason to promote and sell an aluminum pulley is for easy of installation (heat and slip on) while a steel one requires the removal of the snout and pressing.

The facts are clearly verified and published, I am not going to spell out how and what we do. Anyone can Google "Viezu Predator". And yes... there is another more aggressive tune for the upper pulley swap. Stuart, I will not engage in an encore with you as I would like to keep everything civilized. The 650hp fact are all out there and verified.
Where?

All the dyno sheets and videos show a base run of around 509bhp and then claim 640-650bhp, nowhere was I able to find any "verified" data claiming an estimated 650bhp(lots of media coverage but zero data). Sure I may be looking in the wrong place, so it would be nice for you to post publicly where this information is located(on a site or another forum by members?)..this way the clients and members can view.

Btw, not fully sure how Viezu is rating the stock crank power at 509ish BHP on an F-Type R(550PS), I've yet to find a Jaguar F-Type that's underrated. If Viezu is getting 509BHP stock, that just means their dynoing with the drive cycles learned on the stock file and then running the mod without drive cycles..that would be claiming false results because if that stock file had the drive cycles wiped, it would net high number without even changing any maps or parameters? Being your a vendor for Viezu, can you elaborate on this please?

Here's a Viezu vid showing what's questioned:

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Estimating BHP figures extrapolated from chassis dyno numbers and adding an arbitrary drivetrain loss percentage is meaningless. I'm much more interested in actual dyno results.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
Estimating BHP figures extrapolated from chassis dyno numbers and adding an arbitrary drivetrain loss percentage is meaningless. I'm much more interested in actual dyno results.
Agreed. These 650hp "claims" are meaningless without data to back them up. Nothing should be compared but WHP to WHP data and even that should be taken with a grain of salt since dyno make and environmental conditions can vary so much.

Really we should be talking about horsepower based on quarter mile MPH/weight comparisons...

Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Nothing should be compared but WHP to WHP data and even that should be taken with a grain of salt since dyno make and environmental conditions can vary so much.
+1. The most reliable results are achieved from hub driven load bearing dynos rather than rolling roads or inertial dynos, but as you mention, calibration and environmental conditions skew the results. That said, even the quarter mile results are mightily affected by surface and environmental conditions. The real value of any of these methodologies is for side-to-side comparison.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
That's an easy one; the tune is by FAR the best $$$/hp choice. On the V8 you can chose up to just over 600 hp (+100 crank hp from the stock V8S levels) with no hardware changes whatsoever. The VAP tune I have (which I haven't installed yet - long story) can be set at 550/575/605 depending on what you want.

This thread has the rest of the answers you are seeking; basically upper pulley doesn't do much compared to a lower pulley and neither will increase peak power without a tune. Even with a tune the lower pulley only adds maybe 40 - 45hp max....the SC pulley less than half that...

Dave
This sounds very familiar, and quite optimistic...wasn't this the same claim that JVIII made prior to his meltdown?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

This sounds very familiar, and quite optimistic...wasn't this the same claim that JVIII made prior to his meltdown?
Not optimistic at all; VAP has sold many forum members this tune with no issues. The JVIII issue was a completely different product.

Though I haven't installed mine yet, I plan on sticking with the 575hp SVR/P7 tune.

Remember that the ONLY difference between the 495/550/575 factory rated outputs is software.

Dave

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. The most reliable results are achieved from hub driven load bearing dynos rather than rolling roads or inertial dynos, but as you mention, calibration and environmental conditions skew the results. That said, even the quarter mile results are mightily affected by surface and environmental conditions. The real value of any of these methodologies is for side-to-side comparison.
agreed but despite the difficulties in making direct comparisons using dyno (or even 1/4 mile data) you need SOME sort of benchmark....

Dave

Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 PM

Not optimistic at all; VAP has sold many forum members this tune with no issues. The JVIII issue was a completely different product.

Though I haven't installed mine yet, I plan on sticking with the 575hp SVR/P7 tune.

Remember that the ONLY difference between the 495/550/575 factory rated outputs is software.

Dave
Well I shall eagerly await your own results after installing the tune. (But a +100 HP gain on tune alone, without any hardware mods, stills seems fairly high, no?)

Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Dave

Don't forget the Project 8 as I believe that car is 600PS and again is same hardware as the others, but might be wrong.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:50 PM

Well I shall eagerly await your own results after installing the tune. (But a +100 HP gain on tune alone, without any hardware mods, stills seems fairly high, no?)
The base V8S cars, have exactly the same engine as the Project 8. There's 100BHP there it's just being held back. Same engine in the 'R', same one in the Project 7 & SVR.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

homerlikebeer (07-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Upper pulley swap on 5.0l SC