F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper pulley swap on 5.0l SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Yes it is, and yes it can. Our UK Dealers David Appleby Engineering can do it for you. They are running the Invictus Games GT4 FTypes so you can probably check them out while you're there!
who can do this in S California? (San Diego area)

Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Is the Project 8 tune available and can it be flashed to cars?
is this the same as the RC Black? From racechipus?

Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 AM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jireh777
Are you interested in the ECU Tuning? If so, you would just need to order from our website, 95% of our customers install the software themselves:

https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ace-svr-xj-xf/

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-22-2021, 11:59 AM

is this the same as the RC Black? From racechipus?
Racechip is not a 'tune' in the way you are thinking. For example they are not providing the Project 8 spec because it's not changing anything on your ECU, it is intercepting and manipulating sensor to fool the ECU into allowing more boost or torque demand etc. It's a 'piggy-back' not a tune of the actual software on the ECU.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Both TAG Motorsports and Jake's Motorcars are authorized VelocityAP distributors, and should be able to help

Old 04-25-2022, 01:26 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

we pretty reliably make 60WHP on the Denso 5.0SC with an upper pulley & tune. The lower pulley hasn't made more power on those cars, largely due to cooling issues.

The Denso ECU is FAR less adjustable and precise than the Bosch MED17.8.31 & 8.32. Whereas with the Bosch you can go in and make very specific adjustments to values at very specific points, in Denso you can essentially only 'move the whole line up or down.' It's just not as good a processor as the Bosch.
I know this is an old thread, but am I reading that a lower pulley is basically a waste of money on a 2011 XFR (with a Denso ECU) because of the cooling issues? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but that's how it reads to me. I was about to pull the trigger on a lower pulley, and possible accompanying tune, but don't want to flush money down the toilet. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Reaxions
I know this is an old thread, but am I reading that a lower pulley is basically a waste of money on a 2011 XFR (with a Denso ECU) because of the cooling issues? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but that's how it reads to me. I was about to pull the trigger on a lower pulley, and possible accompanying tune, but don't want to flush money down the toilet. Thanks.
No, it's not a waste of time. We have been able to get the lower or dual pulley setups working pretty well on the Denso cars.

www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:54 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm in the same area.

Have you confirmed that you'll be able to pass emissions with the tune and pulleys installed? There's are two threads about that here with no clear answer. Even if you revert back to the OEM tune, a flag is set that it had been tuned. My GUESS is that by itself won't be grounds for failure, but there's a fair chance (maybe VAP can comment) that with the OEM tune and non-stock pulleys, the ECU will flag a problem, which will fail emissions.

Edit: Looks like Jireh777 is long gone, but this issue still exists.

Last edited by kb58; 04-25-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I'm in the same area.

Have you confirmed that you'll be able to pass emissions with the tune and pulleys installed? There's are two threads about that here with no clear answer. Even if you revert back to the OEM tune, a flag is set that it had been tuned. My GUESS is that by itself won't be grounds for failure, but there's a fair chance (maybe VAP can comment) that with the OEM tune and non-stock pulleys, the ECU will flag a problem, which will fail emissions.

The VAP pulley/tune combos pass the Maryland biennial emission test. Some of our CA friends on this forum should certainly be able to give you a definitive answer regarding the CA test.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:11 AM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I'm in the same area.

Regardless of how any tuner is editing the file to pass things like catalyst deletes for OBD readiness(to pass an OBD plug in test), the California CARB is now doing CVN checks. If the file is tuned in any way, this changes the CVN and would result in a review by the ref.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 07-05-2023, 04:03 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

The upper pulley will add 1.5psi of boost, adding a crank pulley will add 3.5psi.
Hello Stuart/Chris. I hope this post finds you well. I know this is an old post, but germane to me at this time. I'll be putting the aluminum water tubes in shortly on my car and since I'm there pulling everything apart... (well you know).

As you may recall, you have provided me with the lower crank pulley and standard tune. I'm considering swapping the SC pulley at this time since I'll be there getting greasy. I've been researching and wish to know the following - please anyone chime in:
  • From my research of the MANY threads (I'm dizzy with the data!), I have concluded general consensus seems to be keep the same belt from a length perspective. If I'm mistaken here, please advise which belt I should go to if I now swap to the SC pulley in combination with the lower pulley already on the car.
  • To understand the benefit - I've very generally (based on posts and my own dyno tests) estimated I'm likely 625HP and 575+ torque in my current configuration. If the quote above is accurate, doing some simple ratios I come up with an additional 20-25 HP, perhaps same increase in torque. Are these estimates consistent with what your current experience and dynos show?
Thanks in advance for any answers.