Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Pulley + Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 03:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upper Pulley + Tune

Hello everyone.
seems like there is Plenty of people here who are experienced with the VAP tuning/pulleys. So here is my story

i went ahead and got an upper pulley + tune from vap. I did not add a lower crank pulley for the theoritical assumption that an upper pulley does not add too much boost and overwhelm the SC. This is especially a concerning matter given that i live in saudi arabia and the temperatures could rise to 50 degrees celsius. So adding too much psi will result in higher intake temps and that is something i am trying to avoid since it could easily heat soak my engine. I also am not trying to overwhelm my rear tires even more than they already are since i enjoy some spirited canyon driving. However, given those environmental factors and my driving style, is it logical (and safer compered to the crank pulley) that i went with the upper pulley instead of the crank pulley (or even both)? Please share ur opinions.

i also have the following mods done:

1-an itg maxogen air induction system (lower intakes only)
2- 200 cell downpipes from VAP
3- a larger intercooler is on the way (ALLISPORT/paramount)
4- stoptech slotted/drilled brakes are on the way
5- thinking of adding a meth injection system for safety(we very often have innacurate octane rating in saudi), but do i really need it for safety if i have a larger intercooler?

Old 06-29-2021, 05:23 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hammam almulhe
Hello everyone.
seems like there is Plenty of people here who are experienced with the VAP tuning/pulleys. So here is my story

i went ahead and got an upper pulley + tune from vap. I did not add a lower crank pulley for the theoritical assumption that an upper pulley does not add too much boost and overwhelm the SC. This is especially a concerning matter given that i live in saudi arabia and the temperatures could rise to 50 degrees celsius. So adding too much psi will result in higher intake temps and that is something i am trying to avoid since it could easily heat soak my engine. I also am not trying to overwhelm my rear tires even more than they already are since i enjoy some spirited canyon driving. However, given those environmental factors and my driving style, is it logical (and safer compered to the crank pulley) that i went with the upper pulley instead of the crank pulley (or even both)? Please share ur opinions.

i also have the following mods done:

1-an itg maxogen air induction system (lower intakes only)
2- 200 cell downpipes from VAP
3- a larger intercooler is on the way (ALLISPORT/paramount)
4- stoptech slotted/drilled brakes are on the way
5- thinking of adding a meth injection system for safety(we very often have innacurate octane rating in saudi), but do i really need it for safety if i have a larger intercooler?
Water/meth inj is by far the best cooling solution. Much better than the larger intercooler (although I’m pretty sure you mean the allisport heat exchanger. The intercooler is built into upper intake manifold.)
-Even in your temps you should be fine on repeated pulls with the wmi. With any pulley setup

Otherwise, Typically the stock airbox is the best option for lower air intake.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

The ambient temperatures you indicated that you get are right about the temps the car will be pulling timing...So even if your intake air is the same as ambient...That is hot! A bigger Intercooler / Exchanger will help...but you will be having 122 degree (50C) air running over it. For that reason, I would use Meth/Water injection if I was in that situation. The mist will drastically cool doen the intake air. Also if you have unpredictable fuel, this will help with pre-detonation and improve effective Octane of the fuel.

You did not mention this (Or even what car you have?) but I would assume you have already removed the engine cover...If not, you should definitely do that.

The upper pulley is likely the biggest challenge to install of the mods...HAs to be heated/cooled/pressed on the shaft and adds a small increase in boost. You can actually run an upper pulley without a Tune.

The VAP Downpipes/200 Cell Cats will help to not melt your cats and/or O2 sensors...And will make the car VERY loud.

Slotted and/or cross drilled rotors are not needed on the car, and will have no real effect other than potentially the slots grabbing the edge of the pad for initial momentary bite, and the cross drilled holes are susceptible to causing small cracks in the rotors from the temperature variances across the surface( all of the holes actually make it weaker).

My thoughts...

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
Jklad (06-30-2021), Sparky H (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:00 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I just got back from Dubai about a week ago. My god, if you don't have AC in the summer you are screwed lol. Does the F-Type have a GCC spec with enhanced cooling capabilities? I saw a decent amount of Jags out there (mostly XF/XJ's/F-Pace) and an INSANE amount of Range Rovers so I would somewhat expect it from JLR.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
I just got back from Dubai about a week ago. My god, if you don't have AC in the summer you are screwed lol. Does the F-Type have a GCC spec with enhanced cooling capabilities? I saw a decent amount of Jags out there (mostly XF/XJ's/F-Pace) and an INSANE amount of Range Rovers so I would somewhat expect it from JLR.
Yep, many Jags and RRs have special hot climate coolant system packs for cars in certain markets such as Dubai.
With at least an extra auxiliary radiator down low behind the LHS of the front grill to supplement the one that is already there on the RHS.
My XFR didn't come with this set up, instead it just had a blanking plate on the LHS which made zero sense as it gets to 110 F + in summer in many parts of Oz including Adelaide where I am.
Not sure about the F-Type though.