F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US InControl question - expiration and renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 07:14 AM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default US InControl question - expiration and renewal?

I am asking this question mostly because I’m just flat out cheap. And the answer is, I will just pay for the renewal. I hesitated even asking this question but it would be nice to know.

InControl for remote start and tracking in the US. Had the same experience in my 2016 XF and my 2016 FType. Bought the XF new off the lot and the FT used CPO. The XF was still active until the new owner finally transferred it over (we were able to do a theft recovery since I still had access). The FType was still active as of Oct when I sold it, and new owner transferred immediately. Never received a notification about expiration of InControl of either vehicle. In March, I buy a 2017 FType (has CPO til January). Drove it to the Jag dealer to transfer the car into my InControl account. Drive home, and it doesn’t work. Call customer service as I thought there was just something wrong with my account. They tell me that the subscription has expired in Oct which is why it doesn’t work. They sent me a link to pay and reactivate. Haven’t done that yet.

Just curious if anyone else has had theirs expire? I searched the forum and see people report they are good until 2025 on their 2016s so curious about the discrepancy.

Just odd that my 2016 was still active but the 2017 is expired. I forgot to ask my dealer when I was there yesterday of course. I’m mostly not looking forward to an annual renewal.

Anyone else in the US who has had to pay for renewal? Mostly surprised this wasn’t at least included in CPO. (The car had CPO in place when I bought it- my dealer did not CPO the car and InControl expired under the previous owner).

Old 04-05-2023, 08:18 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

My 2018 XE with ICTP is due to expire soon. I don’t care about most of that, but the Jag website I saw implied I would lose traffic info - this annoys me, as I think it gets the data through the data SIM card, which I’m paying $20/mo for. Don’t care about concierge, ICTP apps, remote start, etc.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

So, presumably then, the In-Control app expires with the warranty?
What is the renewal term and cost?
And, what is the relationship to the ATT SIM?
The app works fine for me but I have never paid ATT.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

This is a tricky subject, because depending on the Year, Make and Model, will vary how your In-Control functions. When I purchased my CPO car in 2019, it was a MY2016 Model CPO. Built in June of 2016, so original warranty expired in 2021 and CPO in 2022. However, the In-Control did not expire until October of 2022. I have no idea why the relationship of the In-Control is not somehow associated with the in-service date. I purchased the Car in Sept of 2019 and didn't activate/transfer the service until October as I started to learn about the car. Which makes sense on the expiration date also being in October.

For what the service offers, especially since the shut down of 3G, for me, is simply not worth the price. I can replicate most things with an Apple AirTag $29 and my iPhone, minus the remote start, which I barely ever used.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:01 PM
Received 254 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MellieR
I am asking this question mostly because I’m just flat out cheap. And the answer is, I will just pay for the renewal. I hesitated even asking this question but it would be nice to know.

InControl for remote start and tracking in the US. Had the same experience in my 2016 XF and my 2016 FType. Bought the XF new off the lot and the FT used CPO. The XF was still active until the new owner finally transferred it over (we were able to do a theft recovery since I still had access). The FType was still active as of Oct when I sold it, and new owner transferred immediately. Never received a notification about expiration of InControl of either vehicle. In March, I buy a 2017 FType (has CPO til January). Drove it to the Jag dealer to transfer the car into my InControl account. Drive home, and it doesn’t work. Call customer service as I thought there was just something wrong with my account. They tell me that the subscription has expired in Oct which is why it doesn’t work. They sent me a link to pay and reactivate. Haven’t done that yet.

Just curious if anyone else has had theirs expire? I searched the forum and see people report they are good until 2025 on their 2016s so curious about the discrepancy.

Just odd that my 2016 was still active but the 2017 is expired. I forgot to ask my dealer when I was there yesterday of course. I’m mostly not looking forward to an annual renewal.

Anyone else in the US who has had to pay for renewal? Mostly surprised this wasn’t at least included in CPO. (The car had CPO in place when I bought it- my dealer did not CPO the car and InControl expired under the previous owner).
I just got an email to pay 69 dollars to renew. My CPO is up in April. New app version is also noted in the email....go figure. I've updated my phone recently and nothing new came up so who knows.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 588 Likes on 401 Posts

My F-Type is pre-ICTP, but the MY17 F-Pace has it. There was some initial confusion when Jaguar went to 5-year maintenance in the US and some of the cars were built/delivered thinking the window was still 3-years. That could be corrected by the dealer, but you should be beyond that period, regardless.

Back when initial free AT&T period ended, I moved to Freedom Pop to keep the car connected. At that time, at least, they had a free plan with 200mb/month, and it nicely fit my data needs. Now that the F-Pace subscription expired, I let everything lapse. Instead, I used Waze on my cell phone with Car Play.

As a side note, map updates are a separate subscription, but they're only worth updating sporadically. Yes, there's a new release every month, but it doesn't mean anything changed in your area. And, of course, you don't really care if you're using Waze.

The following users liked this post:
jcb-memphis (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I paid $120.00 for the year for the Incontrol features, but now my AT&T subscription has expired as of 3/3/23 and need to deal with that since I just started using the car again. The last time I called AT&T they ask me for information that I could not produce. I guess I need to hash it out with JLR and AT&T.
I know I can use my phone for most of the features I care about, but for me I like to unplug when driving my car.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by skizot
This is a tricky subject, because depending on the Year, Make and Model, will vary how your In-Control functions. When I purchased my CPO car in 2019, it was a MY2016 Model CPO. Built in June of 2016, so original warranty expired in 2021 and CPO in 2022. However, the In-Control did not expire until October of 2022. I have no idea why the relationship of the In-Control is not somehow associated with the in-service date. I purchased the Car in Sept of 2019 and didn't activate/transfer the service until October as I started to learn about the car. Which makes sense on the expiration date also being in October.

For what the service offers, especially since the shut down of 3G, for me, is simply not worth the price. I can replicate most things with an Apple AirTag $29 and my iPhone, minus the remote start, which I barely ever used.
Thanks for validating that the dates seem to be just random. I will pay for it as one of my consolation prizes for going to the automatic was at least getting remote start back. We have a garage at the office but in the event I find myself having to park outside while running errands, the advance A/C is worth the price of admission. In 2016 the app was quite buggy but got really good later on. I also like the hx and status reports. Maybe those become irrelevant as this one should stay in my home garage a lot more than the last one. Hahaha. Getting the credit card out now…

Old 04-05-2023, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
So, presumably then, the In-Control app expires with the warranty?
What is the renewal term and cost?
And, what is the relationship to the ATT SIM?
The app works fine for me but I have never paid ATT.
My 2016 went at least 6 years (so beyond the initial warranty period). But my 2017 with CPO was cut at 5. As Scott noted, it doesn’t seem to be tied to in-service dates - just to make it weird.

Renewal term is for 1 year. Cost $69.

I never bothered with the ATT service in my XF and so not even sure either of my FTypes have had it. I use my phone. Cell service is so good most places that if we’re traveling and the passenger wants wifi, it’s easy to stream shows or movies on the iPad without needing in-car service. My Jags are all older so someone with an updated vehicle may have something to add from the newest infotainment system.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:26 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

So InControl and remote start still works, with the sunset of 3G wireless? Does something in the car need to be updated?

Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, the renewel/resubscription does differ (it MUST) between different YEAR of car you have. This is at least partly because your InControl subscription includes GPS monitoring of your vehicle (as a means of law enforcement tracking and recovery), which thus has to rely on having SatNav maintained for your car. The SatNav provision and software differs incredibly from say a 2016 XF (can't remember the company that provided the SatNav) to a 2021 XF (using the new "Piri" SatNav company?).
So my 2017 American market Jaguar came with the complimentary 5-year Incontrol. So I didn't have to pay any SatNav service during those 5 years.
But during that 5 years, if I wanted to update the MAPS that complimentary SatNav was operating with (essential in a crazy, high construction city) I had to pay a hefty $260 map authorization and release fee.

On my 6th year, it was renewal time. The InCntrol renewal doesn't necessarily spell it out, but on a 2017/2018 car, InControl renewal automatically includes a renewal of your SatNav services (traffic data feed, and police recovery security too)--- for one year only. Cost $120 USD.

I too have the abandoned 3GS service, but I never downloaded the apps (never liked driving and linking to phone, other than actual phone calls). So I can't verify if your phone's apps are continued as part of the renewal fee.

And just as before, the SatNav service contained in the $120 cost only includes roadside-comm, police/theft help, and GPS directions for driving somewhere. Maintaining up-to-date MAPS that your StaNav is directing you to drive on, is still up to you, and still a separate fee. NOTHING is stopping you from using your SatNav with 7-year old outdated maps on your SD card, so long as you will put up with the nuisance of finding out some roads have changed.

Old 04-07-2023, 06:02 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't understand any of it. My Incontrol remote app shows an expiration of 11/2024. My car is a 2016.
I still don't understand the relationship between 3G 4G to satnav. There appears to be a sim card in a module buried in the center console, but not intended to be removable. There is no slot under the armrest.
I remember using the remote start once. The next time I believe the car had gone into sleep mode.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
I don't understand any of it. My Incontrol remote app shows an expiration of 11/2024. My car is a 2016.
I still don't understand the relationship between 3G 4G to satnav. There appears to be a sim card in a module buried in the center console, but not intended to be removable. There is no slot under the armrest.
I remember using the remote start once. The next time I believe the car had gone into sleep mode.
LOL, now issues---davidmaria 1, you understand it better than you realize. You just confirmed what many of the posters here have warned, that your subscription to InControl varies based on your version of Infotainment+SatNav your car came with. That is based on year, but YOUR PHONE and its apps may be a different expiration. Hey, I don't even know if a PHONE app that says it expires in '24, will automatically END if your InControl expires in '22.

As for the 3GS or 4G... that's got nothing to do with your SatNav. We only mentioned about 3GS because we personally have older phones that experienced end-of-operation because our country or city literally ended 3G signal service. For us, it's time to get a 4G phone or better. LOL, our fault, not Jaguar's.

davidmartia 1, you have a 2016 F-Type, okay. Did you buy it new in 2016, or buy it used some time later? I would think each person's subscription begins when they've purchased the car, not when the car was manufactured. And have you received any invite to renew? Jaguar typically (TYPICALLY) sends an email or text to you about four months before expiration.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:25 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Yeah, you have 48 hours from using the car to set a wakeup timer. I find that feature quite handy when I know I'm not going to be using the car for a few days but want to be able to warm it up before I depart.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
LOL, now issues---davidmaria 1, you understand it better than you realize. You just confirmed what many of the posters here have warned, that your subscription to InControl varies based on your version of Infotainment+SatNav your car came with. That is based on year, but YOUR PHONE and its apps may be a different expiration. Hey, I don't even know if a PHONE app that says it expires in '24, will automatically END if your InControl expires in '22.

As for the 3GS or 4G... that's got nothing to do with your SatNav. We only mentioned about 3GS because we personally have older phones that experienced end-of-operation because our country or city literally ended 3G signal service. For us, it's time to get a 4G phone or better. LOL, our fault, not Jaguar's.

davidmartia 1, you have a 2016 F-Type, okay. Did you buy it new in 2016, or buy it used some time later? I would think each person's subscription begins when they've purchased the car, not when the car was manufactured. And have you received any invite to renew? Jaguar typically (TYPICALLY) sends an email or text to you about four months before expiration.
I purchased it used in October 2022. I registered it on the Jaguar site the day I bought it. I did not have to go to a dealer or contact Jaguar. I'm guessing the previous owner never linked the car/app. No invitation to renew as of yet. My feelings are intact, so far.

Old 04-07-2023, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah, you have 48 hours from using the car to set a wakeup timer. I find that feature quite handy when I know I'm not going to be using the car for a few days but want to be able to warm it up before I depart.
I've never used the timer.
I had briefly, for 1 day, the joyeauto module running. It had a software issue and I lost patience immediately, removed and returned it.
I had an X5 that was, for me, more than I wanted for electronic stuff. The Jag is refreshing in it's relative simplicity.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:38 AM

I purchased it used in October 2022. I registered it on the Jaguar site the day I bought it. I did not have to go to a dealer or contact Jaguar. I'm guessing the previous owner never linked the car/app. No invitation to renew as of yet. My feelings are intact, so far.
...So my powers of Sherlock Detection (...which has the same level of detective efficiency as a box turtle), by my detective powers, you purchased the car 2nd hand from an owner who originally bought the car in 2019. So it is possibly a 2020 Jag. The original owner had a roughly five-year complimentary InControl service, whether he took the time to go online and set up his account the way you have when you bought it on your first day.

If you have wake-up timers and such, you likely have the InTouch Pro screen in your Jag. The BASIC InTouch screen required access to an SD card containing map information (hidden in you center cubby/armrest, perhaps). Your PRO screen likely means your "maps" are updated via over-the-air signal communication from the manufacturer, and you won't need to manually pull that SD card and purchase updated maps yourself.

So using my Karnak Predictive powers (...which has the same level of efficiency as the predictive powers of a poisoned, nearly dead mouse,...who came from Sussex), I foresee that you will get an email from Jaguar in AUGUST of 2024, asking you if you wish to renew your subscription. And if you decide "No", then your phone apps, your on-line GPS tracking of your car journeys, and your SatNav guidance, will be terminated.

The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:21 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

... an owner who originally bought the car in 2019. So it is possibly a 2020 Jag.
If digit 10 of the VIN is L it's MY20, K for MY19.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Received 254 Likes on 129 Posts

I just renewed. 2016. Remote start works as always. Nuff said.

It can be a godsend in hot/freezing weather...and I can check to see if I locked it if I forgot to do so and then lock it remotely if needed. And it can beep so I can find it...It shoudl be free, but if it allows Jaguar to keep going, so be it.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Your PRO screen likely means your "maps" are updated via over-the-air signal communication from the manufacturer, and you won't need to manually pull that SD card and purchase updated maps yourself.
This is not correct. There is no version of InControl Touch where the maps are downloaded over-the-air--they are simply too large (about 12GB per update). Updates are done via USB flash stick, first downloading from an active InControl account on a PC and then installing the files in the car.

Quick Reply: US InControl question - expiration and renewal?