F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US InControl question - expiration and renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts
Default finally made some progress

Been spinnin' hard trying to figure out what all my 2017 (built late 2016) had for Incontrol. I looked at my window sticker and it says InControlSecure Tracker system, and right above it, Smart Device Remote Start. ????? this is a manual trans car. So I started with the IC tracker. Got the car on to my InControl Remote account, pressed the button above the rearV mirror as instructed and all went together. The mobile app shows my car, a few details and briefly flashed the information that the subscription will expire Aug. 3, 2024 and a renew button. I pressed that and screen said it couldn't do anything about a renewal. From what I've read here, I have to be closer to the renewal date to do the renewal. So, will it be $69?? or do I believe what the car sticker says and I have remote start capability ( with a manual trans car) , which I really don't want to use or need to, for the $120 ? So the subscription was good for +/- 7 years??
It then appears that if I want to update the Nav maps, it's download the update to a USB stick, pay and import in to the car via the USB drive in the center console. Haven't any difoogleties with the Nav leading me astray in the 4 years I've had this car, so may let that go a bit.

Old 07-03-2024, 10:01 PM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

MT will not offer remote start, unfortunately. However, you do still have remote unlock/lock and locator services. You’re the only one who can decide if it’s worth it without remote start but, for the tracker alone, I always felt it was worth it.

Old 07-03-2024, 11:00 PM

Correct, no remote start, odd that it was on the window sticker for a manual trans car! Let the car and app settle out after install and took a look at the app. Actually, pretty good stuff! Still shows that it expires Aug. 3, about 60 days out, but 'renew' doesn't bring anything up. Will keep an eye out for it. If it is $69, I think it's worth it. It's not that cold or hot here in Wisconsin that having the car climate controlled is a big deal for me...now in AZ or some of the states this summer... wow, yes, remote start for sure.

Old 07-04-2024, 05:39 AM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

A few companies sell aftermarket remote starts for manual vehicles so it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities. Safety features include the requirement for the parking brake to be set, neutral to be engaged, and if needed can bypass the clutch engagement to start the vehicle. Rare yes, but not impossible.

Old 07-04-2024, 09:00 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
A few companies sell aftermarket remote starts for manual vehicles so it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities. Safety features include the requirement for the parking brake to be set, neutral to be engaged, and if needed can bypass the clutch engagement to start the vehicle. Rare yes, but not impossible.
This was a timely topic for me as my InControl subscription will expire on Sunday. I am going to renew for the $70 even though I don't get the remote start due to my 6-speed manual. The renewal message from JLR indicated there was a new version of the InControl app. I clicked on it and opened the app but can't find anywhere within the Remote app on my IPhone where it tells you what the current version is. Anybody figure this out?

Old 07-04-2024, 10:32 AM
Default Also renewed

Got my Remote app renewal notice today, $70 and going to try it for a year. I use Android and had no issue putting the app on my mobile. Need to spend some learning time on all the features, door locking not so much, but emergency services a big YES.

Old 07-04-2024, 02:25 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
... can't find anywhere within the Remote app on my IPhone where it tells you what the current version is. Anybody figure this out?
Click the More tab (bottom right) and scroll down - the version is in tiny font at the bottom of the page. I'm on 2.18.6 (I think - it is a tiny font!).

Old 07-05-2024, 12:09 AM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A few companies sell aftermarket remote starts for manual vehicles so it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities. Rare yes, but not impossible.
Yes, there are companies that sell remote starts for MT vehicles not related to InControl. The question was what do you get from InControl.

Remote start is not an option for manual FT through the app. Would hate for someone to come along and think by paying for the renewal that they will be able to remote start if they have an MT. For those vehicles, it is limited to trip history, vehicle location, and lock status.

Old 07-05-2024, 07:48 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have asked this question before but see others mus still have use of their In Control app. I have a 2016 and on version 2.18.6 and my car has not connected in at least 6 months and my subscription is good until end of next year. It is summer in AZ and 110-would love the auto start to function again. I have an iPhone. I have deleted the app, reinstalled the app and still cannot get it to work.

Old 07-05-2024, 08:44 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Click the More tab (bottom right) and scroll down - the version is in tiny font at the bottom of the page. I'm on 2.18.6 (I think - it is a tiny font!).
Grazie!

Old 07-05-2024, 10:33 AM
Default The rabbit hole of REMOTE and NAV

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I have asked this question before but see others mus still have use of their In Control app. I have a 2016 and on version 2.18.6 and my car has not connected in at least 6 months and my subscription is good until end of next year. It is summer in AZ and 110-would love the auto start to function again. I have an iPhone. I have deleted the app, reinstalled the app and still cannot get it to work.
Contact Customer Relation Centre from JaguarUSA site. I did and they wrote back within about a day. Provided phone number and I called to straighten out the ownership info for my car (MY2017 purchased 2020).

From what I've learned in the last few days, the NAV and REMOTE are 2 different products and function independently. The REMOTE does the things as listed in one of the posts above, while NAV is just that, the mapping software.

The REMOTE subscription is $70, and I did go ahead and purchase it, even though with my MT car, I don't have access to the remote start. That's OK, something I have never felt a need for here in Wisconsin. The Door Locking and Vehicle recovery, location, etc. is available. I'll try it for a year and revisit that decision in 2025.

I investigated the NAV/Mapping update, but to get to that I had to enter my VIN, and though I KNOW I used the correct digits/letters etc., the site claimed that I wasn't using a valid VIN, so I contacted the Customer site as I wrote above. I am waiting to hear back.

My car only has a USB port in the console, no SIM slot and I believe the SIM is 'buried' and not user-accessible, so my NAV updates would be the USB method as described on Jaguar sites. I have Fiber/300MB internet service, so if I decided to do that download, it would probably process pretty fast.

There is currently some litigation/class action suit, for owners of 2018 and forward cars to get Jaguar to 'fix' their cars so they can get THEIR updates over the air (SOTA). I do not believe my car, built late 2016 has this capability. That litigation is listed under the "Class action" thread on this forum.

Old 07-05-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
The biggest issue with pre-2018 F-Types is, depending on year/build, the telematics module only supports 3G (and limited 2G) connectivity. Many wireless carriers in the world (including almost all in the US) have sunsetted their 3G coverage so that will no longer work without updating the telematics module and for older vehicles I don't believe there was a newer replacement module. The remote functions work over 2G since it takes very little data to execute remote commands, and 2G still has limited support in various markets, but the Journeys and connected navigation functions require 3G. It's possible your carrier has sunsetted 2G/3G in your area in the last 6 months.

See this thread here for more info: 3G being discontinued, 4G module upgrade?

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 07-05-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:19 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

All major US carriers have shutdown their 3G networks. The last major one (If you can even call them major) was US cellular. They shut down 3G in January 2024.

AT&T shutdown in February 2022
T-Mobile shutdown in July 2022
Verizon shutdown in December 2022
T-Mobile bought Sprint and shutdown Sprint 3G in March 2022

Last edited by cpq100; 07-05-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 254 Likes on 129 Posts

I am likely pretty average here.

Have renewed it twice (have a 2016 zf8).

Sometimes it starts. Sometimes it doesn't...have a cellular low signal area where I am. But it does seem to know where, how hot/cold, and if locked always. Twice I have locked it after forgetting to do so (it warns you...).

Remote start works probably 85% of the time. In the winter it matters a lot (iced windows). Summer less so...the A/C is amazing and the car cools quickly.

I use Apple Carplay and long since stopped using the maps. Just how I use it.

Old 07-05-2024, 09:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I let InControl expire on my ‘18 XE with InControl Pro (10”) and 4G. I also lost traffic and the TuneIn radio app, which were not listed as things I’d lose. After that, I didn’t see any point in the $20/mo AT&T SIM card, so I let that expire too.

Old 07-06-2024, 08:01 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

The subscription on our 2018 Pace expired and the only message I got was that the telematics was in sleep mode. I just renewed the subscription but the car won’t “wake” to communicate. I’m being told by JLRNA that I have to take it to the dealership so they can remove it from our account and then put it back on.

Old 07-06-2024, 12:53 PM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

The biggest issue with pre-2018 F-Types is, depending on year/build, the telematics module only supports 3G (and limited 2G) connectivity. Many wireless carriers in the world (including almost all in the US) have sunsetted their 3G coverage so that will no longer work without updating the telematics module and for older vehicles I don't believe there was a newer replacement module. The remote functions work over 2G since it takes very little data to execute remote commands, and 2G still has limited support in various markets, but the Journeys and connected navigation functions require 3G. It's possible your carrier has sunsetted 2G/3G in your area in the last 6 months.

See this thread here for more info: 3G being discontinued, 4G module upgrade?
I'm not sure that's quite correct. Although all carriers have shut down their 3G service (most in 2022), the InControl remote and journey tracking capabilities for my 2016 have continued to work flawlessly to this day anywhere I've traveled on the east coast, including a recent trip from Maryland to North Carolina and back, which leads me to believe that they must be using 2G for both services. I know T-Mobile's 2G service is still active because of the millions of IoT devices that still rely on it. I think they may be the sole remaining 2G provider though.

Old 07-07-2024, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my experience, which may clarify for some of you:

I bought a 2020 F-Type as CPO in April 2022; its original in-service date was April 2019 so five years of complementary In-Control, SatNav maps, and separate AT&T 4G SIM service all expired this April.

I renewed monthly map updates (computer download to thumb drive and manually install via USB port; OTA not possible) for three years for $169, mostly because I've found the included real-time traffic and dynamic rerouting to be useful.

But to use traffic/rerouting I pulled the dead AT&T micro-SIM card and replaced it with one from FreedomPop (first 100MB/month are free, $2 for each extra 100MB). Real-time traffic uses very little data, and I set up a touchscreen pushbutton to toggle 4G off to conserve when not needed.

I never needed remote start, etc., so I never got the supposedly iffy IC app and didn't renew InControl. (I never received an IC renewal notice, only one re maps/traffic.) But JLRNA rep on phone quoted $140/year (I think) for InControl; maybe $120? I now realize I should subscribe to AAA roadside assistance though maybe I'll renew IC to add stolen-car-locator peace-of-mind.

Fortunately, I've never experienced any of the screen blackouts and other glitches that prompted the InControl class action, and I've been able to update software OTA at least once.

Lastly, I need to figure out the InTune app setup though I'm ignoring the grayed-out Spotify app as I learned it's no longer supported. I'm getting a phone mount to use it primarily for Spotify via Bluetooth. I now realize I'd use the phone for TuneIn also because the car app would require 4G vs. phone account's abundant 5G.

Last edited by Ramart; 07-07-2024 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fix
The following users liked this post:
DJS (07-07-2024)