F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB MP3 music playing in the F-type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB MP3 music playing in the F-type?

Heyo!

just got my jag, so sort of a n00b question. i have tried to play music from my USB ports off of a USB stick with a bunch of MP3's on it. this stick worked great in my old Mercedes SLK 350, but doesnt seem to be working in my F-type. i've tried it a few times. the dealer told me it should work no problem. has anyone else encountered this issue?

(apologies if this is not the correct place to post this question...im a n00b).

follow-up question, anyone know the total file limits for a USB stick with mp3's on it for the f-types music playback system? i know some computers have issues reading extremely large USB sticks (100's of GB's, or even Terabytes). i couldnt find the answer to this in the manual.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

My Ipod Shuffle won't work in the USB either.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

I grabbed a 2Gb USB drive and loaded some MP3 and M4A audio files from my PC (dragged a couple of folders from iTunes to see how the folder structure might look too). Also grabbed a couple of M4V videos files.

I plugged it into the console USB port, then went to My Music, clicked Source and selected USB.

The folder structures presented perfectly when using the Browse option, as well as the music files in the root folder. Video files were not displayed.

Both format audio files played without a problem.

Tried to access the video files through the USB source for My Video - they did not display there either.

Things for you to consider;
- your USB is too big (Although I'm yet to hear of a Terabyte capacity one as per your original post)
- your USB is formatted as a SAN disk, with a mountable drive - the car system mightn't like that (I have a few so will try later)
- I have the 770w Meridian. Perhaps yours is different and has different requirements (I doubt it)
- I have an R. Perhaps it is wired for differentl audio support but I strongly doubt that.

Most likely one of the first two alternatives.

Cheers

Last edited by OzRisk; 01-30-2015 at 02:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pabanker (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There was a thread on this within the last several months, and I believe the answer is that only certain formats will work. Try a search using "USB" to locate the thread.

I've not tried music through the USB connection because I exclusively Bluetooth stream.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

I think this is the thread I was thinking about.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...bility-133383/

The following users liked this post:
pabanker (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I remember a post about certain bit rates only. so try different mp3 bit rates.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
I remember a post about certain bit rates only. so try different mp3 bit rates.
Yes, see the link above your post.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mp3 compatibility

I posted this a while back but I saw your post and thought I'd reply directly. I also have a new F-type coupe and have sent email to Jaguar on this subject but have not received any response. Prior to a recent trip, I copied one of my music memory sticks with mp3 music. As you have found, these sticks work in my other vehicles along with portable mp3 players, etc. I quickly found that a number of my songs would not play; exhibiting a "file or folder not available" error. I spent a couple of days investigating the mp3 issues. After attempting new downloads and new purchases of some of these songs, and reading other blog sites referencing this problem, it was clear that there is an issue with the Jaguar audio mp3 system. Examining the files that work vs. files that don’t, it appears to be an issue with the bitrate format. I found that any song I had that used a bitrate exceeding 256k would not play, or be recognized. As an experiment, I used a bitrate converter program and modified these song files and resaved them with a bitrate of 250k, and with a bit mode of “average”. This has resolved my problems and all of the songs now play correctly. I can't promise this is the correct solution but it did resolve my issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by brown102349:
enderle (02-01-2015), pabanker (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I remembered your account and had linked it in this thread above.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

OK, As I am bored and preparing to get my Jag, I am organizing my Digital Audio library.

As I understand MP3s with a bit rate of Greater than 256k won't play? I don't want to be too ****, but does an MP3 with a bit rate of exactly 256k play? I'm about to re-encode my entire library and only want to do it once. IF I can use 256k great, if not, I'll drop down to 224...

Thank you!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Correct.You're probably getting an error message saying "Folder or file not found" or something like that. Most of the MP3s I have are variable bit rate or encoded at 320kbps. Not wanting to lose the quality, I ripped a copy of my entire library at 192kbps. Everything plays now. Unless I'm using headphones, I can't tell the quality difference especially with the engine, exhaust and wind noise combined.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

does an MP3 with a bit rate of exactly 256k play

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mp3 compatibility

Since I'm retired and have time to waste on something that should have been handled by Jaguar,,, I'll try to answer some additional questions I have seen. By the way, this problem is not specific to Jaguar, a few other auto manufacturers have not seen fit to update their audio systems. First, I have also found that some files recorded at 256kbps cannot be read. This may, however, be due to the fact that some are recorded with a variable bit rate which can also cause problems. I reprocess my mp3 files at 250kbps and with an "average" bit rate mode. I have not had any issues with this set up and, as someone else mentioned, in a car, the sound quality is fine. Second, I have not run up against any limitations with regard to number of files yet. I currently am using a 16Gb USB stick and have around 550 songs on it. Jag is supposed to be introducing a new audio system, let's hope they took a few minutes to look at what some of their competition has been providing for years.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I do not know if this is an issue with F-Type but there was also an issue in the XKs with incompatible USB sticks because of how the Jaguar powers down. It basically stays fully powered up for some 20 minutes and then goes into standby for another 60 minutes or something in that area (people who know the exact time and terminalogoy will correct me on this) after you shut it off.
Not all USB sticks can handle that. Many who had USB sticks working in the XK had unplug and replug it sometimes when they came back and restarted their car. Most recommended a Gorilla USB stick as it is not prone to brown out.

I am not saying this is an issue with F-Types as well, they have a whole different battery system with the LI battery for the stop and start function just an experience we made with the XKs. I only use those sticks and I have never looked at the bit rate, I guess my mp3s are well below despite I have songs that are bigger than 10MB and I would think that they have a lower compression ratio and higher bit rate, just never checked.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Unhappy Problems using USB in Jaguar F type

I am having real problems using a memory stick in the USB port in my Jaguar.
There is often no access to "Browse" and tracks get missed due to "error with device".

I have tried several different memory sticks and they all play perfect in my Toyota.
Help ??

Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano205
I am having real problems using a memory stick in the USB port in my Jaguar.
There is often no access to "Browse" and tracks get missed due to "error with device".

I have tried several different memory sticks and they all play perfect in my Toyota.
Help ??
What model year and Meridian model do you have? The earlier models cannot handle high bit rates. Also do a search. There is a lot of discussion about this.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Unhappy USB Problems

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The car is 2014 model. I am not sure which Meridiam system it is but as I recall it was one up from the basic system.

I have tried different types of memory stick but to no avail. If I record the same songs to a CD there is no problem.

Brian Dean

Old 01-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2012 XF when the music is downloaded from Amazon. My solution was to export all of the files to Audacity (a free program that allows you to edit/record music) and then re-save the file as a MP3. For some strange reason everything then plays fine.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 AM

Hi Van 1

Thanks for that information. I will try that and see how I get on. Watch this space.

Brian

Old 01-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I have the same problem with my 2012 XF when the music is downloaded from Amazon. My solution was to export all of the files to Audacity (a free program that allows you to edit/record music) and then re-save the file as a MP3. For some strange reason everything then plays fine.
When you download files from Amazon, they are usually full 320kbps which won't play on the F-Type system. The default from Audacity is around 128kbps IIRC, unless you manually change it.

Quick Reply: USB MP3 music playing in the F-type?