F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB MP3s - One More new question / concern

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

On my 2015, I can always use bluetooth for phone, regardless of other audio sources. However, I must choose between my iPod Nano connected via USB or bluetooth audio via my Android phone. It will only accept one source at a time, akin to having a single "Aux" port.

I typically use my Android phone to bluetooth stream via Google Play Music app, and it works very well. Alternatively, I'll plug in the iPod for music and use the Android only for bluetooth calls.

It sounds like the 2016 system may be significantly different, and I hope that this is no longer the case. I always thought it was a little odd.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
It sounds like the 2016 system may be significantly different, and I hope that this is no longer the case. I always thought it was a little odd.
I'm not sure. My problem boils down to that when I try to choose Bluetooth as the audio source for music while having an iPod plugged in via USB, the system throws up a message saying that it won't allow me to do it.

Fortunately, like I said, the phone functions are fine, I just can't stream Bluetooth audio while a different iOS device is plugged in. If somebody out there can figure out a workaround I'd appreciate it.. I just like to be able to use the two iOS devices as two independent sources of music!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

From all my research I think I understand that you cannot have 2 Bluetooth Audio sources at the same time. It seems like you CAN have an I Pod stream music, AND a separate Phone using Bluetooth, but not streaming media, only usable as a phone. I guess the question comes down to, why would you need 2 audio sources at the same time?

I can be content with an Ipod music source, and my Samsung as a phone.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 AM

I guess I like to listen to long playlists on one, and "random stuff" on the other. With a setup like that I could switch back and forth without losing my place in the playlist.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bwco
This is the same message I get when I attempt to stream audio via bluetooth whilst having my iPod plugged in.

It appears the functionality is the same in the newer system, so like me you will need to unplug your iPhone/iPod to stream audio via bluetooth.

Bummer, I was hoping JLR would address this on the updated system.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:50 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

My InControl music app will show all of my music in my iPhone but only play music that I downloaded from iTunes. So I just use the USB port and I can play everything and use my phone. Just can't use touch screen swiping.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Yes, it's annoying that my USB drive can't be sorted by the way I choose. It's just by timestamp. To be honest, it's pretty pathetic. Even if you had to choose only one way, that's not the most logical. Alphabetic sorting is the most sensible to most people. Sorting by an attribute I can't see or change from within the car is stupid.
Yup, add this to the long list of stupid things the Jag does for no other reason than the programmers and engineers are inexperienced or lazy. These problems wouldn't happen in a BMW or MBZ.

At some point you can't write off all these problems with the "it's an enthusiasts car" / "that's not what the car's about" / "it's not meant to be a luxury car" excuse.

You're paying $100k (usd) for a car in 2015! It should be able to alphabetize your playlist. The only reason it doesn't is because some idiot programmer screwed up. There's no excuse.

Last edited by Daniel Danny; 09-10-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Certainly everyone was aware of these shortcomings before they bought their cars, and did so anyway.
Still better than the alternatives.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Certainly everyone was aware of these shortcomings before they bought their cars, and did so anyway.
Yep, if this is all one has to complain about, that person should consider themselves very lucky.

I still think it's just another example of Bill Gates' crimes against humanity, which he is now trying to compensate for with his good philanthropic deeds. If you put garbage in, garbage comes out. The display is just reading what was put into it.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The problem is when the list of "shortcomings" keeps growing and growing...

No one test drives a car and checks the USB port to see if it's capable of alphabetizing. You just expect that any decent programmer would include that. No one says, let me check the trunk handles to make sure they don't gather **** that gets all over your hands. You just expect that it won't. You don't drive around quietly checking for buzzing and rattling. You just expect that it was built correctly.

So at some point the list of little shortcomings grows to the point where being pretty and fast doesn't cut it anymore.

The biggest problems are the small stupid stuff that wasn't because of technology or cost or weight, they were because of incompetent programmers and engineers that just didn't realize what they were doing. Case in point, this alphabetizing this was just a matter if basic programming.

Add this to the list, why does this thing need FM1, FM2, FM3, etc??? That's a relic from old radios with hard mechanical keys and limited space. They could have easily programmed it without this.

Sorry, I'm just venting, but at some point it's just too many little issues and annoyances....

Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM

For what it's worth, I did take a long enough test drive to know that I wasn't going to like the infotainment system, including the USB/BlueTooth interaction with my phone.

I ordered the car anyway And I'll admit that I was hoping the 2016 update would be more substantial for that part of the car than it was.

The end result is, I do wish that the software and radio were better. But yes, I did make sure to find out what I was getting into. And if I had cared about the button to release the trunk I probably would have checked that out, but I was going to get the powered lid regardless so I didn't care!

Now, if I had real problems with creaks or rattles, that would change things, but I'm happy because it's a great car -- and it's what I thought I was buying.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
The biggest problems are the small stupid stuff that wasn't because of technology or cost or weight, they were because of incompetent programmers and engineers that just didn't realize what they were doing. Case in point, this alphabetizing this was just a matter if basic programming.

Add this to the list, why does this thing need FM1, FM2, FM3, etc??? That's a relic from old radios with hard mechanical keys and limited space. They could have easily programmed it without this.
While I agree that this is an oversight that shouldn't have been shipped, I doubt this had anything to do with the programmers involved. It is likely that the infotainment system code was adapted from older software developed to work with CD's. So ordering tracks alphabetically probably wasn't even on the feature list.

Even if they did write some new code, the programmers were likely working to a specification that was created by a product designer based on an older CD-based system, which means the only changes were likely those necessary to support brand new features like XM, USB, and bluetooth based audio.

I am sure this is the same reason why the FM1-FM3 buttons are there, etc. Its an old specification (and likely part of the old code as well.) It is unlikely that JLR would pay extra to have a brand new system developed for the F-Type when this same head unit is available in older cars and the software works good enough. When they introduce a new head unit (like the nice one going into the F-Pace) they will then have new code developed.

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
Sorry, I'm just venting, but at some point it's just too many little issues and annoyances....
Its clear that JLR took the route they did to save some money. New tech costs money. I'm sure their approach is "Why fix what's not broke?" since the existing tech works well enough.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I came to this forum as a new 2016 F-Type R owner looking for a way to do something I thought was simple: sort USB MP3 tracts alphabetically. I'm leaving disappointed. I'll vent my complaints about this inadequacy but I'll also provide a work-around.

The inability to sort MP3s alphabetically is a glaring omission in my opinion. It is almost pathetic. I'll add this to the lack of voice integration (though I knew about that before I purchased). I do like the InControl interface but streamed bluetooth music is not a compromise I'm willing to make. The same track doesn't sound nearly as crisp over bluetooth.

In any case, for those that want their music "alphabetized" on a USB stick and don't want to individually edit file attributes, you can pick up a free Windows-based utility that compensates for Jaguar's ineptitude. It is called BulkFileChanger. It is available here: BulkFileChanger: Change date/time/attributes of multiple files

The download link is at the bottom of the URL.

Within the application, there is a nice feature called "date/time sequence mode" which can add a user-selected increment of time (second, minute, hour, etc.) consecutively to the file attributes of date created, date modified and date accessed of all the tracks. I didn't waste time figuring out which date attribute the Jaguar uses to sort tracks but it is apparently one of these. I just changed them all.

Basic instructions: Open the app and add the files you want. Hit the Filename column header within the app to sort the tracks alphabetically, then select all tracks (Ctrl-A) and hit the clock icon. This opens a dialog box with options. I attached an image of what should be checked off. Check the top 9 boxes, put in a date and time for each of the 3 rows, check the "date/time sequence mode" and add an increment of time and hit "Do It".

I will add that this approach only worked when the tracks were within folders. It did not work when the tracks were in the root directory of the USB stick AND there were also tracks in folders in the root directory. Therefore, I just created additional folders like "Mix" and folders for specific artists and did not put any tracks in the root.

It's not something I thought I would ever have to do with a 100K + vehicle. Jaguar, are you listening?

Attached Thumbnails USB MP3s - One More new question / concern-untitled-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mahjik (06-20-2016)