Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

use of "P" & parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question use of "P" & parking brake

Hi Guys!

I just want someone to clarify me the use of the Parking mode (ie “P”) and the use/difference of the parking brake in the F-Type. Each time I stop the car in the traffic light or I park the car, I press the “P” in the Gear selector and then if I want to park the car I then shut down the engine. Is this the recommended procedure?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Not sure why you would put the car in Park (P button) at a traffic light, just keep it in drive with your foot on the brake. "P" takes the car out of gear. When parking, press "P" after coming to full stop; then shut off engine. If you shut off engine first the car puts it in Park, but I don't think that is recommended (it wasn't in my XF or ( Landrover) that had/has the rotary shift knob.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree it's not necessary to put on Park at temporary stops at traffic lights, in drive foot on brake.

When parking, come to halt, apply electronic park brake, then engage Park on transmission would be what I would recommend.

It's probably in the owners manual the ideal procedure.

Will post later if I find the appropriate section

Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

All much easier with the MT. Push the engine stop button and parking brake is automatically applied.
BTW, some folks may not know, the parking brake can be used as an emergency brake by lifting and holding the parking brake button. It will apply a gentle and moderate braking force until it’s released.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
All much easier with the MT. Push the engine stop button and parking brake is automatically applied.
Beware of habits formed by this feature when driving other cars, however! More than once I've let my wife's car roll a little after shutting it off. I'd put the car in P of course (which still allows a nontrivial amount of travel once foot is off the brake), but had neglected to engage the parking brake - because I was used to having it come on by itself! Nothing bad has happened.... yet...

Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's how the auto works, too, switch off the engine and P and EPB are automatically applied. I prefer to do it myself, though.

And at traffic lights, I use the EPB rather than the footbrake, especially at night, to avoid blinding the driver behind with my brake lights.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Not sure why you would put the car in Park (P button) at a traffic light, just keep it in drive with your foot on the brake. "P" takes the car out of gear. When parking, press "P" after coming to full stop; then shut off engine. If you shut off engine first the car puts it in Park, but I don't think that is recommended (it wasn't in my XF or ( Landrover) that had/has the rotary shift knob.
Probably because the OP was given instruction by somebody from Britain or learned to drive there. In the UK you would fail a driving test in an automatic if you sat at a light with the vehicle in Drive. In an automatic or manual you are expected to put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake/parking brake. The rule in Britain is that your car will NOT move due to some as crass as your foot slipping off a pedal or you getting a cramp.

jaguny (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
Probably because the OP was given instruction by somebody from Britain or learned to drive there. In the UK you would fail a driving test in an automatic if you sat at a light with the vehicle in Drive. In an automatic or manual you are expected to put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake/parking brake. The rule in Britain is that your car will NOT move due to some as crass as your foot slipping off a pedal or you getting a cramp.
That may have been the case in the past but nowadays learners are taught to hold the car on the footbrake.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't know if this was the intended question, I've never really understood why on the auto there's both a P (on the gear select lever) and a separate emergency parking brake (flip switch). I know it's common in automatics but coming from a manual, I still don't really get it.

When you only have P selected on the gear lever, the parking brake is NOT engaged? But the car doesn't roll...? What's the point of both?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
Maybe we need that here. "Stoplight creep" is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Where are you going? The light's still red!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Beware of habits formed by this feature when driving other cars, however! More than once I've let my wife's car roll a little after shutting it off. I'd put the car in P of course (which still allows a nontrivial amount of travel once foot is off the brake), but had neglected to engage the parking brake - because I was used to having it come on by itself! Nothing bad has happened.... yet...
Agreed. I still manually engage the parking brake even though I know it’s going to be automatically engaged.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-07-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre

Where are you going? The light's still red!
Maybe the driver chose not to turn off ECO STOP/START and is creeping so as to keep the engine running!!!

Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM

I do this because by applying the "P", there is no gear engagement and therefore you are kind of having a gear/bearing “relief”, especially when you have to wait in the traffic light for a long time.

As long as this is not harming any system of the car, I prefer it, but if it is not recommended, let me know.

To park the car, I simply press the “P” and then I shut down the engine as with this procedure the gear goes to neutral and the parking brake goes to “On” automatically.

But, I will review your recommendations especially when I park the car and shut down the engine.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Old 08-07-2019, 02:37 PM

My answer to "jaguny" is also my answer to you.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

jaguny (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

There is no gear binding in an AT when the car is stopped. No pressure occurs at the gear face until the torque converter’s stall speed is reached. A pin or some other device is used to lock car motion when Park is engaged on the shifter.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

My F-Type most definitely does NOT automatically apply the EPB when Park is engaged.
I very rarely use the P button at all, maybe a dozen times in total over nearly three years of ownership.
When pulling up to a stop in my garage I simply turn the car off and let it go into P all by itself and I don't apply the EPB, no need to on a dead level surface with the car in P. Same with parking elsewhere except I usually apply the EPB as well.
When I stop at a red light or I'm stuck in a conga line in peak hour traffic, and I either know or guesstimate I will be stopped for at least 20 seconds, I put it in N and apply the EPB. That way I can take my foot off the brake pedal and stretch/relax as much as I like, and I'm also not annoying those behind with glaring brake lights.
The only minor hassle is that although it goes from D to N with just a gentle nudge of the stick you still have to press the button to go from N to D, I wish it went from N to D with just a nudge but of course saaaaafety forbids that!
I have been doing this for 45 years now (the first 40 in nothing but manual cars) and I estimate I am around one in 200 who does this in my neck of the woods, all the rest sit there in D with their foot on the brake pedal for an eternity.
The only caveat is that if there is no one stopped directly behind me I keep my foot gently on the brake pedal so as to activate the brake lights and "warn" anyone coming up behind that I am stopped. Then as soon as someone does pull up behind I ease off the brake pedal and relax.

Last edited by OzXFR; 08-07-2019 at 06:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Blue Jag 2017 (08-08-2019), fujicoupe (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That's how the auto works, too, switch off the engine and P and EPB are automatically applied. I prefer to do it myself, though.

And at traffic lights, I use the EPB rather than the footbrake, especially at night, to avoid blinding the driver behind with my brake lights.
This is correct on the most recent model years (perhaps starting in 2017), but, on the early models, the "P" and Brake were separate. For them, Paul's advice to stop, apply the parking brake, then press "P" is the technically preferred sequence. On a fairly flat surface, it doesn't really matter, but on a slope, putting the brake on first keeps the car from rolling & possibly damaging the parking pawl.

scm (08-08-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

+1 - Cars with newer transmissions (VW DSG etc.) will drift in Park until the stopping pin engages. Not necessary while driving, but helpful when stopping to shut it down or parking on an incline.

Taxistmum (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I would be concerned about being rear ended if the brake lights aren't activated at a stop light. I believe their is auto programming in human driver brain; no brake lights means go forward.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I would be concerned about being rear ended if the brake lights aren't activated at a stop light. I believe their is auto programming in human driver brain; no brake lights means go forward.
+1. I also can’t remember ever being blinded by anyone’s brake lights.

Quick Reply: use of "P" & parking brake