Sponsored by:

use of "P" & parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I also can’t remember ever being blinded by anyone’s brake lights.
That's just early onset dementia ...

Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
That's just early onset dementia ...
LOL! Good one.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I never apply park brake at lights. I will hold on footbrake if I expect lights to change to green in a short period of time. If not I will apply the handbrake, then press the go pedal when they change.

When parking the car I apply the footbrake to stop. Then the handbrake, then the Park Brake.

That's how I was taught to drive. Albeit with some differences because I learnt in a manual (but was also given instruction for autos)

Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
When parking the car I apply the footbrake to stop. Then the handbrake, then the Park Brake.
Er, the "handbrake" (finger brake really) is the park brake. Do you mean select park as the last step?

Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe this is the correct way to do things with an auto. The main thing is it stops any backlash onto the transmission park brake as the car is already held on the handbrake (EPB, whatever) so there's no bouncy stress transferred onto the transmission if you're on a slope or similar

Old 07-20-2020, 03:21 AM
mgr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never apply park brake at lights. I will hold on footbrake if I expect lights to change to green in a short period of time. If not I will apply the handbrake, then press the go pedal when they change.

That's how I was taught to drive. Albeit with some differences because I learnt in a manual (but was also given instruction for autos)
This was what I was told to do by the dealer when I asked for an automatic brake that I was used to in Volvo.
It is a shame Jaguar does not have such feature.
The way it works is it applies brake automatically when you stop the vehicle,
so you can remove your foot from the brake pedal, and when there is a green light,
you simply apply the gas pedal, and the automatic brake is released.

Also, there is another problem with using the EPB on red lights.
The problem is, that if the engine has been stopped by the Start/Stop system,
and I apply the EPB and release my foot from the brake pedal,
the engine starts again. I strongly believe the engine should remain off until I apply the gas pedal.
I do not know whether this is a bug or a feature, but it is definitely not ECO friendly and drives me crazy. :-)

Old 07-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I would not want the delay of having the ECO restart wait until I've hit the gas. Better to get things going while coming off the brake and be ready to move when you get to the accelerator.

The following users liked this post:
scm (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Some of you should obviously be looking at buying a self-driving car. For over 50 years, I’ve kept my foot on the brake pedal when at a full stop. Except for some serious mental degradation, I’ve experienced no adverse physical repercussions or discomfort.

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JacksonvilleJag (07-20-2020), maxg (07-21-2020), Mbourne (07-20-2020), slipstream (07-25-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 11:57 AM
mgr

Originally Posted by uncheel
I would not want the delay of having the ECO restart wait until I've hit the gas. Better to get things going while coming off the brake and be ready to move when you get to the accelerator.
This works surprisingly well n Volvo XC90, no noticeable delay.
And if you prefer to stay on the brake, you still can do that, you can always switch the automatic brake off if you wish.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 PM
mgr

Some of you should obviously be looking at buying a self-driving car. For over 50 years, I’ve kept my foot on the brake pedal when at a full stop. Except for some serious mental degradation, I’ve experienced no adverse physical repercussions or discomfort.
Well, I got used to this and perceive it as discomfort having to push the brake while waiting for the green light.
I prefer relaxing my foot instead.
I was driving manual transmission since I started to drive until my last two cars, and did not feel any discomfort either, until I tried automatic transmission. :-)
I still I prefer manual transmission to automatic without an automatic brake while standing still, as I do not have to push the brake the whole time. :-)

As for the self driving cars, I have Volvo Pilot Assist, and I have to say it is the next best thing to Adaptive Cruise Control, on long rides I experience much less fatigue.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Jag 2017
I do this because by applying the "P", there is no gear engagement and therefore you are kind of having a gear/bearing “relief”, especially when you have to wait in the traffic light for a long time.

As long as this is not harming any system of the car, I prefer it, but if it is not recommended, let me know.

To park the car, I simply press the “P” and then I shut down the engine as with this procedure the gear goes to neutral and the parking brake goes to “On” automatically.

But, I will review your recommendations especially when I park the car and shut down the engine.

Thanks a lot for the reply!
keep the auto stop/start active and then almost every time youre at a light your car will shut off and rests without having to deal with putting the car on park, just make sure you don't take your foot of the brakes or nudge the steering wheel.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Most of us solved for this issue by disabling the ECO feature. That was the very first mod I made to mine.

OzXFR (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:58 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Most of us solved for this issue by disabling the ECO feature. That was the very first mod I made to mine.
+1. If you really care about the environment you wouldn't be driving an F-Type!

eeeeek (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I am pretty certain the parking brake applies automatically when you press 'P'. I usually have my foot lightly on the brake pedal and I can feel it go down beneath my foot when the car is put in park.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff_the_chef
I am pretty certain the parking brake applies automatically when you press 'P'. I usually have my foot lightly on the brake pedal and I can feel it go down beneath my foot when the car is put in park.
It depends on the MY, I think this auto EPB when the car goes into P function only came in with the 2016 or 2017 MY.
My 2015 MY definitely does not have this "feature", and if it did I would bust a gut to find a way to disable it!

Carbuff2 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

My 2016 does not automatically engage the parking brake when I press P.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

My 2016 does not automatically engage the parking brake when I press P.
Like mine with the MT, does it automatically engage when the engine is shut down?

Old 07-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Like mine with the MT, does it automatically engage when the engine is shut down?
I just went and double checked. I started the car, but it in reverse, drove out of the garage, then put it in drive and drove back in. BONUS: I got to hear it start up.

I put the car in park and listened. Nothing.

I then turned the car off and sat for a little. Nothing.

Finally, I engaged the parking brake and heard the distinct sound of it engaging.

Mbourne (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

I just went and double checked. I started the car, but it in reverse, drove out of the garage, then put it in drive and drove back in. BONUS: I got to hear it start up.

I put the car in park and listened. Nothing.

I then turned the car off and sat for a little. Nothing.

Finally, I engaged the parking brake and heard the distinct sound of it engaging.
I think maybe something is wrong with the programming on your car. Most of us have to go through a special rear brake retraction process if we want to work on the rear calipers since the Parking Brake is always applied when the car is shut down. On your car, do I assume correctly that the parking brake indicator between the 2 big gauges does not light up unless you lift the parking brake button? My indicator lights up (along with the EPB sound) as soon as I push the engine stop button.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I think maybe something is wrong with the programming on your car. Most of us have to go through a special rear brake retraction process if we want to work on the rear calipers since the Parking Brake is always applied when the car is shut down. On your car, do I assume correctly that the parking brake indicator between the 2 big gauges does not light up unless you lift the parking brake button? My indicator lights up (along with the EPB sound) as soon as I push the engine stop button.
Mine works exactly the same as eeeeek's and I don't think it's a fault at all, quite the opposite in fact it's the way I like it and IMHO the way it should be on all F-Types.
Mine definitely does NOT automatically apply the EPB when I shut the car down or when I put it in P.
When I drive into my perfectly level garage and stop I simply shut 'er down by hitting the start button and it automatically goes into P, the EPB does not come on and I don't bother to apply the EPB.
Even on the rare occasion I manually put it in P by using the P button the EPB does not come on.

Quick Reply: use of "P" & parking brake