Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Base LSD Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 09:27 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
To Blast, or Not To Blast:
What are your thoughts about building up a media blasting cabinet to refinish the exterior of these differential cases?
Do folks like the gloss black or want other custom colors? (then media blasting is necessary)
or should I just focus on the rebuild, pre-load, and shimming process? and pay the $50+ bucks to media blast when needed?
happy fourth to you as well!

great update!

personally, I'd skip the media blasting for now, you've got enough on your plate. maybe for the second batch it would be a worthwhile investment.

The following users liked this post:
HermanWiegman (07-07-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great update Herman! Good luck on the move, we just did it and survived!

looking forward to a quaife

HermanWiegman (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

@Dan Wink glad you survived your move. I am in limbo right now with none of my tools... like being on a dessert island.
To answer a bunch of PM's in one swoop, I am publishing a rear axle options map for the 2014-2022 Jaguar cars (and some LandRovers?)
This is not complete.. but it starts to outline the options for LSD rebuild kits and after market upgrades.
Comments welcome.

Jaguar DANA 44 AdvanTEK rear axle options

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 07-08-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 07:21 PM

Well, I have already updated the above table and resorted according to Model (rather than gear ratio).
Forum members are interested in what the rear axle options are for their cars.
Columns on the right spell out the options :
  1. Rebuild Kits for existing LSD's and e-Diffs
  2. Aftermarket upgrades, either
    • Drexler LSD (friction) [expensive]
    • Quaife ATB (helical) [affordable]
  3. any additional notes or kits needed

@DJS Consider the below graphic to supersede the previous file you uploaded to your DropBox.

Advanced users: I have also added a gear ratio table for those that want to explore different options.

Jaguar AdvanTEK rear axle diff table LSD e-Diff ATB helical

Jaguar AdvanTEK rear axle ratio table

The following 3 users liked this post by HermanWiegman:
DJS (07-10-2023), mcphill (07-09-2023), Panthro (06-21-2024)
Old 07-13-2023, 08:21 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I was wondering if the base Auto transmission used a 3.31.If not, the potential market for an aftermarket torsen box would be too small to attract a vendor to build one for the MTs alone.
Unless there is difference in how the LSD bolts to the spider gear, the spider gear ratio should not be a problem.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:24 PM

Is the Jag dana 44 different from the vette dana 44, as far as internals go?

Old 07-14-2023, 08:18 AM

@randyb Good question.

Note: in this message: Ring Gear = “Crown Gear” = “spider gear”

The DANA 44 AdvanTEK system is based upon a 220 mm OD Ring Gear, so the differential housing can be of a fixed OD/size.
(the earlier DANA 44 system was based on a 228 mm OD Ring Gear)
Each gear ratio (combination of Ring to Pinion gear tooth count) gets a unique set of gears.
I found this out by measuring three sets of gears from various modern Jaguar rear diffs (41:13 , 42:13 , 43:13).
Even though the above three ratios each had a 13 tooth pinion gear, they where all a bit different dimension to mate up to their corresponding ring gear.

Additionally, the Ring Gear “thickness” was different for each, such that they required different Ring Gear Flange offsets on the differential carrier.

Aftering thinking about it for a while, DANA probably settled on two or three carrier designs (with different flange offsets) to cover the whole range of ring gears used by the Jaguar lineup. (XF/XE, F-Pace, F-Type).

My plan is to have a single differential carrier cover a broad range of gear ratios, by using a “ring gear shim” and longer bolts.
Both M-Factory and Quaife were fine with this approach and they have used it in the past to cover more applications.

See Post 49 in thread above for pictures and some dimensions.

I didn’t know the Vette had a DANA 44 rear axle.. could be worth some investigation.
Did they come with e-DIff’s or LSDs?

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 07-14-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:04 AM

Looks like the C4 Corvette has the older DANA 36 and 44 gear sets, while the modern Jaguars carry the DANA 44 AdvanTEK gear sets which were updated to be higher efficiency and lower NVH (and use aluminum housings and lower viscosity gear oils).

Spicer DANA 44 AdvanTEK webpage

The following 2 users liked this post by HermanWiegman:
Panthro (06-21-2024), randyb (07-17-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 06:26 PM

Detailed Information:
I want to finalize a purchase of Helical ATB units (QDF8W) from Quiafe, but also wanted to know a bit more about which gear ratios everyone is going from/to.
This impacts the number of core axles I need, and the number of ring gear spacers and longer bolts.
If those pinged here could message me back on the info in the below table, I would appreciate it.
@addict @lizzardo @Unhingd @Dan Wink @spinningcog @Naif Kasheqri @randyb

Table of info for first order of Quiafe helical ATB's

The next step will be the collection of the down payment (to initiate the build of the QDF8W units).
This should be on the order of $600 USD (50% down)
Later, after so many weeks, the build of the Helical LSD's will be complete at Quaife, and then we will need to make final payment +shipping.
I propose that my address be used for the initial shipment from Quiafe.
(
)
Then I will start building up axles which are ready to install.
I am working on a rear differential replacement procedure for the F-Type, which I will finalize on my car (2017 FT V6 Manual), so everyone else can gauge the level of difficulty.
(perhaps a YouTube video?)

mcphill (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 09:50 PM

Detailed Information:
I want to finalize a purchase of Helical ATB units (QDF8W) from Quiafe, but also wanted to know a bit more about which gear ratios everyone is going from/to.
This impacts the number of core axles I need, and the number of ring gear spacers and longer bolts.
I initially wanted to move from the V6 base ratio to the V6S ratio -- would I need to source a new rear end with the proper ratio or would that be handled by your core axle service?

The next step will be the collection of the down payment (to initiate the build of the QDF8W units).
This should be on the order of $600 USD (50% down)
Fabulous! How do you want to collect payment? PayPal or wire transfer is probably easiest for everyone globally. What is the timeline from Quaife once we pay the deposit? I ask because I'm leaving on a large roadtrip in two weeks and will be out of communication for ~10 days or so.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:13 AM

@addict This is exactly the challenge.
It is easiest for all involved if everyone maintains their OEM gear ratio so my stock of "cores" never becomes depleted.
Otherwise I will be needing to source more used rear diffs with the popular gear ratios that folks want to transfer to.
Thus adding "core" costs to those choosing to change gear ratios.

I have a PayPal account and I can also accept wire transfers.
How many of us have a PayPal account? all?

Old 07-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

People can pay with a credit card over PayPal even if they don't have or don't want a PayPal account...

HermanWiegman (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 AM

I'm good with PayPal

Old 07-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Hi,

I've joined up here in the past few days and only just found this thread. I was beginning research on an F type LSD swap, but seeing your breakdown of the used LSD (and its need for rebuilds) has put me off a bit.

​​​​​​I'm in Australia, are all your helical diff orders being sent to the US or can they be sent worldwide?

Cheers

HermanWiegman (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 12:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@addict
paypal is good here Herman. I also have a complete V6S carrier I can send you. Just let me know how I can help.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:49 PM

@dangoesfast Welcome to the thread.
The Helical ATB is a maintenance free and robust solution versus the traditional friction based LSD.
Yes, the intention is to ship worldwide.
I have developed reasonably economical shipping pathways to get "used automotive parts" from US to UK and US to Taiwan, as well as the packaging needed to safely transport the 70 lbs (32 kg) rebuilt rear axles.
I feel the best course is for me to be the "home base" for the initial order of Quaife Helical ATB's and I can start supplying rebuilt rear diffs to those who opted in.
These units will come with my personal guarantee and replacement policy.
I also hope to publish (and verify) a simplified work instruction to swap the rear diff in our F-Types (and other Jag models).

@Dan Wink Great to hear that you have a "complete V6S carrier" (similar to @lizzardo and @Unhingd ). This means you are not subject to any core charges and I can get your spare unit back to you so that you can swap out your OEM rear diff when it is convenient for you. I am still in process of moving, but I was able to get registered as a "vendor" with Quaife. So I will soon make a request for 50% down from the first 5 participants, and Quaife will provide an estimated manufacturing lead time.

Keep Calm and Carry On

dangoesfast (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

@dangoesfast @Dan Wink Great to hear that you have a "complete V6S carrier" (similar to @lizzardo and @Unhingd ). This means you are not subject to any core charges and I can get your spare unit back to you so that you can swap out your OEM rear diff when it is convenient for you.
I don't have one yet, but that is my plan. Things have been pretty busy lately and I'm still not certain if an AT unit won't require a little extra work (or part). I think that you said there was no problem but can't remember with certainty. I'll be back in town next week and will dig in a little more.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:08 PM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

@dangoesfast Welcome to the thread.
The Helical ATB is a maintenance free and robust solution versus the traditional friction based LSD.
Yes, the intention is to ship worldwide.
I have developed reasonably economical shipping pathways to get "used automotive parts" from US to UK and US to Taiwan, as well as the packaging needed to safely transport the 70 lbs (32 kg) rebuilt rear axles.
I feel the best course is for me to be the "home base" for the initial order of Quaife Helical ATB's and I can start supplying rebuilt rear diffs to those who opted in.
These units will come with my personal guarantee and replacement policy.
I also hope to publish (and verify) a simplified work instruction to swap the rear diff in our F-Types (and other Jag models).
I have no direct experience with helical diffs so I'll need to do a little research... there's one or two reasons I should go with an LSD rather than a helical, but I think the lack of maintenance is the biggest attractor for me and it will help with future resale so it might offset the reasons I'm leaning towards an LSD. Anyway, that's for me to work out and I should be able to make that decision within a month or so.

I'll be able to remove and rebuild the diff myself, and shipping heavy items from Australia is INCREDIBLY expensive so I think the easiest option for me would be for Quaife to send the parts straight here, but we can talk more about that if I decide to go ahead. I also love documenting processes so I'd be happy to help develop a work instruction specific to the XE-S.

I'll do some more research and try to make my LSD vs Helical decision soon, then we'll talk more I probably won't be ready in time for the first order of 5, so I hope it goes well!

Last edited by dangoesfast; 07-30-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Panthro (12-22-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM

@lizzardo Steve, I have a 3.31 rear unit on hand that I can upgrade it with a Quaife ATB unit for you, and I would ask that you send your old rear diff back to me once it is swapped out.
So you don't need to procure a spare diff of the right gear ratio, but if you do, it helps with schedule flexibility and gives you an extra rear end for spare parts or future use.

@dangoesfast I see that you have an XE-S sedan. Do you know which rear diff gear ratio you have? Is your car AWD or RWD?
Can you get a picture of the tag on top of your diff?
Note: I first wipe off the dust and dirt from the top of the diff unit, then use a borescope to peek at the tag.

I have seen both the 2.73 ratio, and the 3.23 ratio used in the XE sedan.
The good news is, that Quaife is making a shim that fits the commissioned ATB with the 3.23 gear set, (which your V6S model probably has).

If you want to stay with a friction disc LSD (as found in the F-Type V6S models), I can offer you a rebuilt LSD diff carrier from a F-Type V6S application.
It should swap right in to a rear diff with the the 3.23 gear ratio set. (The 3.31 and the 3.23 ring gear sets are both based on the same gear backing interface dimensions).

Panthro (06-21-2024)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:33 PM

@HermanWiegman Yes I want to do it, but with Daughter getting married and still have not received money from previous totaled XK and not expecting till Nov or Dec; it will be early next year before I can do the swap.
Will keep same gear ratio and will say to everyone, pay for the higher insurance amounts. Kid that hit me had the minimums, heard that his insurance company is going after him, between me and the rental car company ( other car he hit); he is looking at paying over 20k back to his insurance.

HermanWiegman (08-01-2023)

Quick Reply: V6 Base LSD Swap