Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Base LSD swap done + carbon roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default V6 Base LSD swap done + carbon roof

Hello everyone,

I just want to confirm that installing the LSD from the manual V6 S on the base manual V6 is possible and a pure swap - the diff housings look identical, uses the same halfshafts and propshaft and has the same gear ratio.

I've now finally done it on my manual F-Type V6. (Well, I haven't seen it yet as the car is in Sweden and I'm in Japan but I'll see it later in June.) Just putting some info here if someone will do a forum search later.

Part numbers:
Manual V6S (LSD) diff: T2P1783 (3.31 ratio)
Manual V6 (open) diff: T2R18657 (3.31 ratio)
Halfshaft RH (both base and S): T2R7755, for reference - no need to change
Halfshaft LH (both base and S): T2R7756, for reference - no need to change
Propshaft (both base and S): T2R7545, for reference - no need to change

Diff oil (from repair manual):
V6 base: Spec SAFXO, dry fill 0.84-0.86 liters, wet fill 0.815-0.835 liters
V6S: Spec BOT720, dry fill 0.84-0.86 liters, wet fill 0.815-0.835 liters
The oil is a Castrol oil that seems difficult to find in the after market. It seems to be normally stocked at your Jaguar dealership as also the R uses the BOT720 diff oil.

How to get the diff and costs (approximate):
I paid A LOT - basically same as for a new one - for a used T2P1783 as it seems near impossible to get a new one, or no delivery date can be given from Jaguar or any parts supplier I talked to. I bought it on US Ebay, and the item was 1 700 USD + another 700 for toll and freight to Sweden. The differential is rare, as so few manual V6S F-Types were sold, and this was the only used one up for sale on the planet at the time.

For installation I paid ~8000 SEK, or about 970 USD, and about 60 USD for the oil.

Why did I do this?
Well, good question. I will drive the car mostly on track, and I want to get out of the corners with traction on both rear wheels.

For the same go-fast reason I also retrofitted a carbon fibre roof, see pictures below. I honestly think it doesn't look good at all, but saves some weight, lowers the center of gravity and feels more racy than a panoramic glass panel. Bought the roof panel (new) + headliner on Ebay for 3000 EUR, and installation was another 8000 SEK or ~970 USD. (Still cheaper than the dealer though who wanted ~16 500 USD to change the roof panel).

The following 2 users liked this post by jlsthlm:
Jamal302 (06-20-2021), SinF (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

A bit of warning - LSD from F-type S isn't up to track duty. I strongly recommend you get a custom drive shaft to fit a flex disk to protect it. I had LSD fail on me under warranty - metal came out.

Another warning - with LSD try not to track with traction control on unless you need it, one-wheel braking puts extra stress on LSD and I have seen temps on LSD spike as the result.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
A bit of warning - LSD from F-type S isn't up to track duty. I strongly recommend you get a custom drive shaft to fit a flex disk to protect it. I had LSD fail on me under warranty - metal came out.

Another warning - with LSD try not to track with traction control on unless you need it, one-wheel braking puts extra stress on LSD and I have seen temps on LSD spike as the result.
Thank you for the words of warning. I will not run with traction control switched on unless it is raining. However, what you said about the custom drive shaft and flex disk - I honestly have no idea what that even means. So, yeah, what does it mean?

Edit: OK, a googling later and I now know what a flex disc or a "giubo" is. Will talk to some of the people at the Time Attack events I'll participate in and get their input too, not sure how easy/ affordable it is to find/ make custom drive shafts and giubos that are "race spec".

Last edited by jlsthlm; 06-10-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:32 AM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Thank you for the words of warning.
Words of warning against mods are this dude's favorite pastime tbh 😏

I have an LSD diff sitting in my shop waiting to go in my car. Psyched on it. Luckily the AT model cost me about half as much as your MT version, so worst case I blow it up and have to get another one 🤷‍♂️

Old 06-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by airthirtytwo

I have an LSD diff sitting in my shop waiting to go in my car. Psyched on it. Luckily the AT model cost me about half as much as your MT version, so worst case I blow it up and have to get another one 🤷‍♂️
Aint lie yet 😂

Old 06-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Any chance you weighted the panoramatic roof?

Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think you read my post before knee-jerking into replying.

In case you don't have signatures enabled - my car is F-type S, it has LSD from factory. As I race the car just like OP, I have insights on what are weak spots of this hardware.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the words of warning. I will not run with traction control switched on unless it is raining. However, what you said about the custom drive shaft and flex disk - I honestly have no idea what that even means. So, yeah, what does it mean?

Edit: OK, a googling later and I now know what a flex disc or a "giubo" is. Will talk to some of the people at the Time Attack events I'll participate in and get their input too, not sure how easy/ affordable it is to find/ make custom drive shafts and giubos that are "race spec".
If you shift perfectly, rev-matching every time it might not become an issue. However, I do not have skill to do so every time. The issue is that JLR reused AT drivetrain that is not hardened for extra shock due to rapid clutch uptake.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I don't think you read my post before knee-jerking into replying.
I read your post. I was commenting on your warnings being a recurring theme, not on this particular warning's validity.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

F-Type S LSD retrofitted into XK NA 5.0l V8, same ratio as F-Type S, more torque. Works great.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-190935/page2/

Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Andrey
F-Type S LSD retrofitted into XK NA 5.0l V8, same ratio as F-Type S, more torque. Works great.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-190935/page2/
Thanks for the link 👍 I'm pretty confident it'll work well. In my experience clutch type differentials do fine unless they're shock loaded hard/often. If it'll work for that XK it'll def work for me.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:49 PM

Nice! Hope it works out well for you! 👍

Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by J444G
Any chance you weighted the panoramatic roof?
No I didn't. As I mentioned in the post above, I currently live in Japan and this car lives in Sweden. I had to ask my father to drive the car around for all the upgrades and changes I'm doing to it, so I don't get it done as rigorously as I would have otherwise. All I know is the qualitative assessment that the panoramic roof was so heavy so 2 people had to handle it, whereas the carbon fibre roof was light enough for my 70 year old dad to carry "easily".

Agree that it would have been interesting to know exactly how much weight it saved.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:36 AM
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

No I didn't. As I mentioned in the post above, I currently live in Japan and this car lives in Sweden. I had to ask my father to drive the car around for all the upgrades and changes I'm doing to it, so I don't get it done as rigorously as I would have otherwise. All I know is the qualitative assessment that the panoramic roof was so heavy so 2 people had to handle it, whereas the carbon fibre roof was light enough for my 70 year old dad to carry "easily".

Agree that it would have been interesting to know exactly how much weight it saved.
Well did you throw the roof away? If you still have the part, maaaybe in some future you can measure it. The pano roof weight was a quite discussion here, but nobody did the swap, so kudos to you. I don't like it at all and want to swap to aluminum painted in car color...