F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 base or S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
It has the perfect note, the perfect volume, and it is considerably louder than many after-market systems I've bolted on other cars.

I want the switchable exhaust as a marital aid. I need to be able to muffle it, so the spousal unit doesn't run screaming from the car. (There's several reasons I've been able to stay married to the same girl for 40 years)

Based on the forum comments, the active exhaust is both louder and quieter than the straight exhaust.

Old 01-29-2015 | 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I want the switchable exhaust as a marital aid. I need to be able to muffle it, so the spousal unit doesn't run screaming from the car. (There's several reasons I've been able to stay married to the same girl for 40 years)

Based on the forum comments, the active exhaust is both louder and quieter than the straight exhaust.
You're likely to still have some issues with said "unit". Even the active exhaust is wide-open at start-up, after which it quiets down with the valves closed. There's likely nothing you can do about that. Mine rolls her eyes every time she's in range when I start the car, but she smiles and tolerates it.

You can probably manage this by making sure the car is started while she's still in the house, or tell her to linger in the restaurant or store and tell her you'll pick her up at the front door.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-29-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2015 | 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose the only thing we're missing is the ability to make it quiet should we have the need, but I live on a 10-acre property with no other houses and neighbors to bother.
That's something I'd definitely like. I often am departing at 5am or 6am to catch a plane and I do feel guilty about the start-up bark at that hour of the morning. I've had polite, good humored comments from the neighbours that they always know when I'm traveling interstate as there's no sneaking out in the Jag.

Old 01-29-2015 | 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

You can probably manage this by making sure the car is started while she's still in the house, or tell her to linger in the restaurant or store and tell her you'll pick her up at the front door.
That's my plan!

Old 01-29-2015 | 09:29 PM

I want the switchable exhaust as a marital aid. I need to be able to muffle it, so the spousal unit doesn't run screaming from the car

Same issue here... I get the eye roll every time she slides into the passenger seat and the car is in dynamic mode, or the active exhaust exhaust is open. They just don't understand.

Old 02-20-2015 | 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

"Holy Thread Resurrection Batman"*

I suspect that resale values on the S will be higher than a base model specced up to match.

*Some of you may be too young to have seen the original Batman TV series.

Old 02-20-2015 | 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
I suspect that resale values on the S will be higher than a base model specced up to match...
I personally think all first year '15 coupes will have excellent resale being the first and only year for certain options and packages...

The following users liked this post:
mshedden (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015 | 05:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I wonder when's the last time someone posted that they bought or ordered a new convertible. Seems like it's all coupes, all the time.

We vert owners don't mind.

Old 02-20-2015 | 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Same issue here... I get the eye roll every time she slides into the passenger seat and the car is in dynamic mode, or the active exhaust exhaust is open. They just don't understand.
Mine does! With the only proviso being not on our block [or in town]..... Otherwise she likes when I engage it (no pun intended) and actually asks me to do so more often than not.

Lucky, huh?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-20-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2015 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong,the 'vert is a beautiful car but once Jaguar slapped a roof on the car,it became otherworldly in my book...and just flat stopped me in my tracks!

The fact that I could actually afford such a beast was in itself unbelievable,the car truly looks like it costs far more than it does...

Old 02-20-2015 | 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I wonder when's the last time someone posted that they bought or ordered a new convertible. Seems like it's all coupes, all the time.

We vert owners don't mind.
No we don't, not at all!

But, I do feel so bad for the poor coupe folks, who were unwittingly seduced by the "look," and are now all locked into that confined space, with poor visibility, completely dependent upon a camera to see anything, and unable to free themselves, and take in the glorious expansive feeling of a wide open sky. They probably can't even begin to imagine how amazing the exhaust note is with no roof to mute the sound of automotive nirvana.

Old 02-20-2015 | 08:20 PM
|

No we don't, not at all!

But, I do feel so bad for the poor coupe folks, who were unwittingly seduced by the "look," and are now all locked into that confined space, with poor visibility, completely dependent upon a camera to see anything, and unable to free themselves, and take in the glorious expansive feeling of a wide open sky. They probably can't even begin to imagine how amazing the exhaust note is with no roof to mute the sound of automotive nirvana.
the only thing correct about that statement is needing a camera to back up.
but i would not want to have to put my roof down to back up either. and i would prefer an overnight bag to a handkerchief on a longer trip.
Car design is really important to some people, and i would say that the jag coup is a work of art, that really is special, and that the convertible could easily be mistaken for a Honda. I love convertibles too....but for about an hour a month. prefer a stiffer chassis for driving.

DuhCar (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015 | 08:49 PM

I have a convertible and I can admit that the coupe ,just, beats it in overall looks but it's still one of the most beautiful cars ever made even in the convertible and I will trade the marginally better looks for the ability to put the roof down. My Favourite is getting home from a business trip, picking my car up from valet parking at the airport dropping the hood and blasting down the freeway in the cool evening air.

buickfunnycar.com (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015 | 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

I would think it would be the convertible with the poorer visibility...the C-pillars on the coupe have no blind spots because you can see straight out of the rear quarter window perfectly.

Old 02-20-2015 | 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
My Favourite is getting home from a business trip, picking my car up from valet parking at the airport dropping the hood and blasting down the freeway in the cool evening air...
That sir...is what life is all about...and makes everything you have to go through to get to that part worth it,lol!

Old 02-20-2015 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johney5
... and that the convertible could easily be mistaken for a Honda.
ooooou! Them's all fightin' words, Jethro.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-20-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2015 | 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

ooooou! Them's all fightin' words, Jethro.
Not when you consider the source.

Old 02-21-2015 | 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Dry humor indeed. Don't know where to start...and in no particular order.

1) While having the back up camera is a useful aid, I never need it for backing up.
2) There's just no way the F-Type convertible can be mistaken for anything other than a stunning automobile. Period.
3) Convertibles are fantastic - and why I still have and love my father's 1990 Mazda Miata - but I've not met too many women who love a convertible, my fantastic wife among them...particularly for the long haul (as in long rides). Sure they're tons of fun - and yes my wife enjoys the Miata (mostly around town...in other words, not highway speeds) - but just a bit less so in our part of the country.
4) Coupe vs. Convertible. Different animals, in our [Jaguar] case literally. Personally I love the look of the coupe better and there's not one line out of place whereas the convertible - stunning though it is - just doesn't quite measure up (in the lines/looks department). Having the hard top does "complete it" in a way the convertible doesn't. IMO. Completely and utterly subjective. Both are drop dead gorgeous. When I drove my coupe to my friend who owns a Mazda dealership - the same guy who owns an F-Type convertible and who, inadvertently, started my lust affair for any F-Type - after walking around my coupe he remarked, "I (he) love this even more than my convertible". Doesn't really matter as it's all personal opinion with no right or wrong answer.
5) Whether "Base", "V6S", or "R", convertible or coupe, the Jaguar F-Type is - and with this I know I'm preaching to the choir - simply a breath-takingly beautiful car.
6) De gustibus non est disputandum.

Old 02-21-2015 | 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

... unable to free themselves, and take in the glorious expansive feeling of a wide open sky.
Umm - two words. Panoramic roof.

... They probably can't even begin to imagine how amazing the exhaust note is with no roof to mute the sound of automotive nirvana.
Errr, personally, I imagine it's a lot like what I hear when I have both windows down and boot the accelerator!

Old 02-21-2015 | 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Umm - two words. Panoramic roof.

Errr, personally, I imagine it's a lot like what I hear when I have both windows down and boot the accelerator!
7) & 8)

Thank you OzRisk

Quick Reply: V6 base or S?