F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 base or S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015 | 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
3) Convertibles are fantastic - ....- but I've not met too many women who love a convertible, my fantastic wife among them...particularly for the long haul (as in long rides).
+1.

MY 3 reasons for Coupe over Vert: 1) Boot space, 2) Aesthetics (to my eye) 3) Much better half doesn't like the top down anyway.

If the Coupe hadn't been offered before the 6 speed was available, the Vert would be sitting in my drive since I thought it was the best looking car on the road when it came out. I do believe it beats out the Coupe in fun factor (which still has plenty to spare)

Old 02-21-2015 | 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Umm - two words. Panoramic roof.

Errr, personally, I imagine it's a lot like what I hear when I have both windows down and boot the accelerator!

Oz and Others,

A) My post was a joke.

B) It was parody of themes one sees here, which I thought was obvious.

C) I was kidding.

D) It was a joke.

Just wanted to be perfectly clear above. Rest easy coupe people. You can dial down your blood pressures now.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-21-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
+1.

MY 3 reasons for Coupe over Vert: 1) Boot space, 2) Aesthetics (to my eye) 3) Much better half doesn't like the top down anyway.

If the Coupe hadn't been offered before the 6 speed was available, the Vert would be sitting in my drive since I thought it was the best looking car on the road when it came out. I do believe it beats out the Coupe in fun factor (which still has plenty to spare)
You, my friend, have a good - nay, great - eye.

Your 2) Aesthetics (to my eye) reminds me of the Seinfeld episode - as almost everything in life comes back to Seinfeld - when Kramer is on the witness stand trying to help Newman out of a ticket, and Newman says "Mr. Kramer, now tell us in your own words..." to which Kramer replies, "What do you mean in my own words, whose words do you think I'm going to use?"....something like that.

Of course aesthetics - and all other aspects of the F-Type (and everything else) is in your own eye!

I might take some small issue when you say the convertible beats the coupe for fun factor... you haven't ridden with me yet have you??? I'll show you fun...

And talk with you later maybe?

In your own words?

Old 02-21-2015 | 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Dry humor indeed
The operative word in my post being, yes, humor. Or was it dry?

In either case, yes, we all knew it was a parody and/or joke and/or you were kidding. And my blood pressure is just fine thank you very much; coincidentally I had it checked just yesterday.

Best regards,
Jay

P.S. Currently many of us are neither coupe or convertible...merely snow-bound.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-21-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Your 2) Aesthetics (to my eye) reminds me of the Seinfeld episode - as almost everything in life comes back to Seinfeld - when Kramer is on the witness stand trying to help Newman out of a ticket, and Newman says "Mr. Kramer, now tell us in your own words..." to which Kramer replies, "What do you mean in my own words, whose words do you think I'm going to use?"....something like that.

Of course aesthetics - and all other aspects of the F-Type (and everything else) is in your own eye!
Just trying to preempt the " your're full of it" responses (like the one below )

I might take some small issue when you say the convertible beats the coupe for fun factor... you haven't ridden with me yet have you??? I'll show you fun...
Not to worry.....I'll find plenty of ways to peg the fun meter with this car all on my own. However, you are on the itinerary for my road trip next year.

Old 02-21-2015 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Just trying to preempt the " your're full of it" responses (like the one below )

Not to worry.....I'll find plenty of ways to peg the fun meter with this car all on my own. However, you are on the itinerary for my road trip next year.
Under your own foot! Yeah, I get it. And you are always welcome - as are all Forum members - here.

P.S. You do mean this year Lance, 2015! I know you're a man of excellent taste and great patience but I'm not waiting until 2016 for our rendezvous.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

OK . . . here's my honest version:

If you are a convertible zealot, there is no other choice. I am one. I haven't been without for nearly 40 years. Sunroofs, panorama or not, and windows down in hard tops just aren't the same. Even cars like Corvettes with removable roof panels just aren't the same. I am well aware, that I am in the minority, with the vast majority finding top-down driving uncomfortable. For me, it is exhilarating.

My top is down any time the sun is out, and the temp is above 50ºF. With the ability to raise and lower it while moving up to 30 mph, it is down and up all the time, usually on the same trip.

I also prefer the looks of the F-Type convertible, top-down, but there is no debating the pure aesthetic beauty of the coupe, and I'm not surprised it is preferred by the majority for reasons alluded to above.

Old 02-21-2015 | 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

P.S. You do mean this year Lance, 2015! I know you're a man of excellent taste and great patience but I'm not waiting until 2016 for our rendezvous.
I like to under-commit and over deliver. JLR is still not yet taking orders for the 6 speeds from their dealers. I have been told maybe not until the end of March which could mean delivery no earlier than June or July. Other dealers have speculated as late as October. In any event most likely beyond the June window I have for the road trip. I may just do the trip in my Land Cruiser after the V8 and the 2 speed O.D. have been installed. (should be done by April)

Old 02-21-2015 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh

If you are a convertible zealot, there is no other choice. I am one. I haven't been without for nearly 40 years. Sunroofs, panorama or not, and windows down in hard tops just aren't the same. Even cars like Corvettes with removable roof panels just aren't the same. I am well aware, that I am in the minority, with the vast majority finding top-down driving uncomfortable. For me, it is exhilarating.

My top is down any time the sun is out, and the temp is above 50ºF. With the ability to raise and lower it while moving up to 30 mph, it is down and up all the time, usually on the same trip.

I also prefer the looks of the F-Type convertible, top-down, but there is no debating the pure aesthetic beauty of the coupe, and I'm not surprised it is preferred by the majority for reasons alluded to above.
Couldn't agree more Foosh. I'm also a convertible guy. Had the coupe been available when I got my car I'd still have bought the convertible. The two main reasons were sounds and looks. The convertible just provides you with so much more of the thrill of the exhaust note, and I personally prefer the looks of the convertible.

You pays your money and you makes your choice as they say.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015 | 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

The coupe was available and my dealer had all the models and many colors in both. I didn't even look at the coupe. It was never in the competition.

Old 02-21-2015 | 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

This discussion - Coupe vs. Convertible - is rather moot (and veering away from the OP) as we've all made our choices and quite happily at that. ("At no point while I'm driving this do I think...yeah, but I wish I had the convertible", or vice versa). We can all list the pros and cons, our reasons for getting, of one over the other but why? This isn't Beatles or Stones...

Both are splendid!

By the way, I drive my 1990 Mazda Miata, at times, even in winter (with top and windows down) even if I end up putting the heat on (at times, full blast). Quite invigorating!.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 12:18 PM

I like to under-commit and over deliver. JLR is still not yet taking orders for the 6 speeds from their dealers. I have been told maybe not until the end of March which could mean delivery no earlier than June or July. Other dealers have speculated as late as October. In any event most likely beyond the June window I have for the road trip. I may just do the trip in my Land Cruiser after the V8 and the 2 speed O.D. have been installed. (should be done by April)
Lance, here ya go. This was from Nov and things do change. But the dealer would have the lteat bulletin. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails V6 base or S?-image.jpg  

Last edited by DuhCar; 02-21-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 02:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Couldn't say it better myself. (Well, I could but I won't) I don't enjoy driving the car that much with the roof up. For me, it's the wind ripping out what little hair I have left, the smell of leaves, grass, etc, great view of the sky, the sound of the engine and exhaust, etc. etc. Just love the overall sensation.

Last convertible I had was an MG Midget back in high school, some 30+ years ago.

But, we digress...

Old 02-21-2015 | 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Lance, here ya go. This was from Nov and things do change. But the dealer would have the lteat bulletin. Hope this helps.
DuhCar, thank you.
First order call for the MT actually was issued for 1/28 and delayed to 2/6, and then again delayed indefinitely. I suspect they may be having either supply or production issues with the MT.

Old 02-21-2015 | 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Oz and Others,

A) My post was a joke.

B) It was parody of themes one sees here, which I thought was obvious.

C) I was kidding.

D) It was a joke.

Just wanted to be perfectly clear above. Rest easy coupe people. You can dial down your blood pressures now.
Foosh...
A) I knew that
B) I knew that too
C) I also knew that
D) and I knew that too

Don't worry - we're just mucking about. You post a joke, some of us are bound to play along. Otherwise, how will you know we're reading your post. (Or as the Zen monks put it,"what is the sound of one hand clapping?" Perhaps the answer is, "a joke without a response".)

Old 02-21-2015 | 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

In the interests of bring some perspective to the Vert vs coupe discussion...

My coupe...

Your vert...

You couldn't be unhappy, either way - they're both beautiful!

(And before anyone says it, no, I was not going to succumb to the obvious request and post a second photo of a supermodel "with her top down"!)

Last edited by OzRisk; 02-21-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2015 | 05:06 PM

DuhCar, thank you.
First order call for the MT actually was issued for 1/28 and delayed to 2/6, and then again delayed indefinitely. I suspect they may be having either supply or production issues with the MT.
Oh, that's too bad.

Old 02-21-2015 | 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
(And before anyone says it, no, I was not going to succumb to the obvious request and post a second photo of a supermodel "with her top down"!)
About ready to pull the trigger before I read your postscript.

Old 02-22-2015 | 03:38 AM

Always had a soft spot for Elle MacPherson

Old 02-22-2015 | 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Always had a soft spot for Elle MacPherson
Megan Gale floats my boat

Quick Reply: V6 base or S?