Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 , do they commonly blow up ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts
Default V6 , do they commonly blow up ?

I read about a mishap with an F-Pace that turns out to be a quite common [ meaning frequently used ] engine for the F-Type..

Is this a regular problem :

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
..After a couple of months of ownership and the wife putting approximately 1200 miles on it, bringing the total miles to just over 36k miles... She got into the vehicle one day a couple of weeks ago to a ticking/pinging sound as she described it, about a block from the house the vehicle starts to lunge and sputter, so thankfully she was smart enough to turn around and get the vehicle back to the house with really no acceleration. We call Dealer and they bring tow truck and pick up vehicle and get her into a loaner. Now mind you I am talking to a service advisor and getting all information 3rd and 4th hand, but after a series of test that Jaguar asked the tech to perform, they have decided on a complete engine replacement. I am still in shock and do not know what to think about the situation. It's great that it's all under warranty and will be repaired, but will it ever be the same, I guess time will tell. Also, when I go to trade-in or resell tit will be with a vehicle that has had an engine replacement. Crazy thing is, this all happened without any warnings popping up on dash or any codes thrown to the vehicle and no over-heating. All I have really been able to get from service advisor is that some pin on the heads or a pin that holds the heads broke off and caused havoc, of course this is all speculation because they have not yet completely torn down the engine... I guess I have the worst luck in the world, you just can't make the stuff up...
As Texas Traveler did not come back with a reply on my question for the type of engine, I searched his posts and he replied in an other thread : " It’s an S model that has the SC V6..." .

Now I wonder if its common since I am thinking about this engine for a Discovery 5....

Old 10-18-2020, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Simple answer, NO.
If they did we would have read heaps about it on this very forum and all I have read or heard is crickets.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Random engine failures do happen. This is why reliability called bathtub curve.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

A few engine failures, most of which attributed to letting the oil get too low. Did have one mention of a hole in the top of a piston (punched not, burnt) that no one can figure out what happened.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:15 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Yeah, we had a '17 F Pace S for three years and not a single problem. I often wonder what kind of driver someone is when they report problems, or more importantly, what kind of care they show their car.

The following users liked this post:
Black15FTR (10-22-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Not a V6 but I had a 2004 4.2 V8 XKR that ran out of oil when a flexible hose burst and dumped the oil on the road (fortunately outside my house). My indie replaced the hose, refilled it and (gingerly) cranked it over. He said it made a few odd noises at first but gradually quitened down and ran perfectly. We changed the oil after 500 miles (no debris in at all) and no further trouble for the rest of the time I owned the car. So I can attest to (some) Jaguar engines being bullet-proof!

Old 10-19-2020, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, very illuminating ! I keep on looking for a V6 D5..

Old 10-19-2020, 08:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A few engine failures, most of which attributed to letting the oil get too low. Did have one mention of a hole in the top of a piston (punched not, burnt) that no one can figure out what happened.
if you are referring to the hole in the piston of my car, it is a V8. Same block I know!
Also, I doubt if you bought a Discovery that you would drive it like an F-type!

also, also, My car has been in a shop since July 15th, the season is ending here in Georgia and I’m going crazy not being able to drive it! I’m hoping any day now! Just having to vent because I am frustrated!

Old 10-20-2020, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Madscott
I doubt if you bought a Discovery that you would drive it like an F-type!
You obviously don't know me..

I had a D3 for about ten years. I drove it like a cart, normally no worries. In 2019 I made a tour trough the Alps, with the F-Type, in central europe and the Iberian peninsula...

I drove the D3 back from Portugal [1000 miles] , fully loaded with stuff from the house we sold there. I noticed some odd noises and movents from the rear axle,

if driving up a mountainous road.. ..it worried me , like there was a defect in the suspension..

Only when I discussed it with a Land Rover engineer, it came out... ... driving the D3 like the F-Type makes the safety controls kick-in : the car was braking on
the rear wheels as my cornering would have put the car on its side with the load whe had on board..

So don't think I do not drive a D5 like an F-Type...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 10-20-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Madscott (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 07:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
So don't think I do not drive a D5 like an F-Type...
I'm confused - how do you know how an F-Type drives a D5?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Keep in mind, vectoring braking (i.e. computer 1 caliper braking rears) puts a lot of stress on differential. You don't want to do this "daily".

Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

@scm
In Dutch we have a proverb ".. a good audience only needs half a sentence to understand.."..

1 of 19 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Keep in mind, vectoring braking (i.e. computer 1 caliper braking rears) puts a lot of stress on differential. You don't want to do this "daily".
My D3 did not have vectoring. It just braked on all wheels to slow down I guess..

Old 10-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

if you are referring to the hole in the piston of my car, it is a V8. Same block I know!
Also, I doubt if you bought a Discovery that you would drive it like an F-type!

also, also, My car has been in a shop since July 15th, the season is ending here in Georgia and I’m going crazy not being able to drive it! I’m hoping any day now! Just having to vent because I am frustrated!
I didn’t know that Georgia was north of DC.

Last year with only 0.6” of snow, the F-Type was sidelined for just a couple days. During a typical year only about 10 weeks at the beginning of the year are likely to sideline the car to avoid the salt.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:55 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I didn’t know that Georgia was north of DC.

Last year with only 0.6” of snow, the F-Type was sidelined for just a couple days. During a typical year only about 10 weeks at the beginning of the year are likely to sideline the car to avoid the salt.
I always mothball my convertibles in the winter, it’s a summer toy. I will take it grocery shopping every once in a while to keep its juices going and the tires round. Also we have a long windy driveway that gets partially washed out with the winter rain, and stays wet and muddy most years, but I think we finally fixed the problem so I may drive it more this winter.
What part of DC/Maryland? My wife’s family lives in Dunkirk, we travel there a few times a year , I’ve spent a lot of time in Chesapeake Beach !

Old 10-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

I always mothball my convertibles in the winter, it’s a summer toy. I will take it grocery shopping every once in a while to keep its juices going and the tires round. Also we have a long windy driveway that gets partially washed out with the winter rain, and stays wet and muddy most years, but I think we finally fixed the problem so I may drive it more this winter.
What part of DC/Maryland? My wife’s family lives in Dunkirk, we travel there a few times a year , I’ve spent a lot of time in Chesapeake Beach !
I’m just to the northwest of the dc off the beltway. Chesapeake Beach is just 45 minutes from here.