Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 F-Type modding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V6 F-Type modding?

Hows the forum doing,

Quick question, I'm looking to upgrade from my Subaru into an F-Type and wondering how the mod community is. I understand this is definitely not a tuner Japanese car but I'm sure there are still aftermarket parts available.

How much power would you gain by removing the Cat, which I believe is in the downpipe? Getting new exhaust and a tune?
How is the sound without the cat? In my car removing the Cat gives it much more pops but the F-type already has that lol.

Cheers!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, you are right, not as crowded as the JapCar tuning market, but some well respected ones for US and UK owners. Highly recommended would be the Velocity options on the V6 which can lift the 340HP of the base to early/mid 400HP (its actually the same result on the S model which starts at 380HP) ..

There's a thread on Velocity if you use the search engine it should pop up for you ..

HTH

Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Right, I've seen some of the tunes available right now but I haven't seen one that stated the Cat was removed, which usually brings out a lot more power. And I'm curious on how that would affect the sound.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DGMSTI
Right, I've seen some of the tunes available right now but I haven't seen one that stated the Cat was removed, which usually brings out a lot more power. And I'm curious on how that would affect the sound.
You will not want to remove the cats. The noise will be irritatingly loud and raspy. 200 cell sport cats will be the ticket if you want more noise. Velocity AP has a plug&play for that. Removing the cats will require a tune to avoid throwing CEL codes, so you might as well go for the full monte and get a full tune and lower pulley.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-16-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome! The F-type community is relatively small since it is still a fairly new platform but I am hoping that the aftermarket world will start to expand now that the used F-Type market is coming around and more people are looking to mod. As far as POWER mods go, this is what I have been able to gather over the last few months:

Exhausts:
-Velocity AP axleback
-Velocity AP 200 cell sport cats
-Velocity AP decat
-Quicksilver catback
-Miltek axleback
-Miltek catback
-Miltek 200 cell cats
-Resonator delete (custom)
-Muffler delete (custom)

Pulleys:
-Velocity AP crank pulley
-Eurocharged upper pulley
-Paramount Performance crank pulley
-Paramount Performance upper pulley
-Mina Gallery upper pulley
-Eurotoys crank pulley

Tunes:
-Velocity AP tune
-Eurocharged tune
-Paramount Performance tune
-Eurotoys tune

Air:
-Eventuri intake
-Paramount Performance air filters

There may be other parts out there but these seem to be the most common aftermarket mods that come up on the forum. There are a few other companies (if you check on YouTube and Instagram) that are still developing exhaust systems. As far as which company you should go with for each part, that's up to you and after doing research on here for a couple of days I am sure you will find the info needed to decide. Hopefully this helps

Last edited by FR500GT; 05-16-2017 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Don't forget the Eurotoys crank pulley (aluminum).

Eurotoys (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Not power parts, but FrickenJag is making carbon fiber cosmetic parts for the engine bay.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM

https://www.vip-design.london/shop/vip-design-jaguar-f-type-v6-480rx-performance-only/

not sure where you are based but drive in drive out 480bhp packages are available in the U.K. From this company and viezu

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Pulley kits and handheld/tunes in stock.

Mike

AnD3rew (05-21-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I understand the world you're coming from, as i've had 6 late model subarus in my past. The aftermarket for the F-type is completely different. Where you're used to a dozen companies making upgraded intercoolers with loads of data, we have only one and its completely unproven. Most of us on this site who have modified their cars past the basic tune/upper pulley have done so as innovators, unsure on the results until we tried it first hand. Not to say parts aren't out there, but for many, what we've desired we've had to build ourselves. Paddle shifters, short throw shifters, carbon fiber bits; all have been researched and developed by forum members and then provided to the community if feasible. With this car, if you want something that's not inherently popular, you're gonna have to make it yourself.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You will not want to remove the cats. The noise will be irritatingly loud and raspy. 200 cell sport cats will be the ticket if you want more noise. Velocity AP has a plug&play for that. Removing the cats will require a tune to avoid throwing CEL codes, so you might as well go for the full monte and get a full tune and lower pulley.
I do like more noise however if I keep the stock catback I should be able to keep the active exhaust correct? Im more interested in going catless as for Subarus at least it is the biggest bang for the buck power gains as it increases alot of airflow. Same with my car I have to get a tune due to changing the backpressure so Im fine with that. Is there any documentation of power gains for going catless with tune vs just a tune?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Welcome! The F-type community is relatively small since it is still a fairly new platform but I am hoping that the aftermarket world will start to expand now that the used F-Type market is coming around and more people are looking to mod. As far as POWER mods go, this is what I have been able to gather over the last few months:

Exhausts:
-Velocity AP axleback
-Velocity AP 200 cell sport cats
-Velocity AP decat
-Quicksilver catback
-Miltek axleback
-Miltek catback
-Miltek 200 cell cats
-Resonator delete (custom)
-Muffler delete (custom)

Pulleys:
-Velocity AP crank pulley
-Eurocharged upper pulley
-Paramount Performance crank pulley
-Paramount Performance upper pulley
-Mina Gallery upper pulley
-Eurotoys crank pulley

Tunes:
-Velocity AP tune
-Eurocharged tune
-Paramount Performance tune
-Eurotoys tune

Air:
-Eventuri intake
-Paramount Performance air filters

There may be other parts out there but these seem to be the most common aftermarket mods that come up on the forum. There are a few other companies (if you check on YouTube and Instagram) that are still developing exhaust systems. As far as which company you should go with for each part, that's up to you and after doing research on here for a couple of days I am sure you will find the info needed to decide. Hopefully this helps
Thanks for that list!

Is there a reason that everyone upgrades the pulley on these cars? I mean out of everything to upgrade, downpipe, headers, intercooler, fuel injectors, and especially if youre upgrading unsprung weight wouldnt a carbon fiber driveshaft give a better returb?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that list!

Is there a reason that everyone upgrades the pulley on these cars? I mean out of everything to upgrade, downpipe, headers, intercooler, fuel injectors, and especially if youre upgrading unsprung weight wouldnt a carbon fiber driveshaft give a better returb?
Remember that these cars are supercharged. Upgrading the pulley means more boost across the whole RPM band. Completely different approach from a turbocharged car.

Notes:

Downpipes: Moderate increase, mostly from a reduced cat density.
Headers: Minimal increase, not worth the money (VelocityAP study)
Intercooler: Water to air, completely unproven. No one has tried to my knoweldge.
Fuel Injectors: We haven't maxed out the stock ones yet.
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft: You're gonna have to custom make this. Lightweight wheels are popular tho.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM

I've never owned a supercharged car. When talking about pulleys do you mean the Supercharger pulleys?
I'll contact the driveshaft shop and see if they're planning to make a CF for F types.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Remember that these cars are supercharged. Upgrading the pulley means more boost across the whole RPM band. Completely different approach from a turbocharged car.

Notes:

Downpipes: Moderate increase, mostly from a reduced cat density.
Headers: Minimal increase, not worth the money (VelocityAP study)
Intercooler: Water to air, completely unproven. No one has tried to my knoweldge.
Fuel Injectors: We haven't maxed out the stock ones yet.
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft: You're gonna have to custom make this. Lightweight wheels are popular tho.
I am convinced that a true set of long-tube headers eould be of benefit, but there is just not enough room next to the engine to allow that.
I've never owned a supercharged car. When talking about pulleys do you mean the Supercharger pulleys?
I'll contact the driveshaft shop and see if they're planning to make a CF for F types.
Yes, both the lower crank pulley and the upper SC pulley.

Not certain what you are trying to accomplish with the CF driveshaft. Better to consider CF wheels.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I am convinced that a true set of long-tube headers eould be of benefit, but there is just not enough room next to the engine to allow that.
Yes, both the lower crank pulley and the upper SC pulley.

Not certain what you are trying to accomplish with the CF driveshaft. Better to consider CF wheels.
When upgrading to a lightweight crank pulley you are trying to remove rotational weight correct?
CF drive shaft for my car is $1000 and removes 14 lbs of rotational weight as well as having other benefits like better for your axles since it flexes more, can handle more torque, and safer if it breaks. These claims are debated but a lot of people who get them installed say it is the single best upgrade they've done, power wise.

If there isn't alot of aftermarket parts for F Types then gotta find places to throw money at lol.

I emailed the driveshaftshop because they make custom driveshafts but they said they need one as a sample. I guess they haven't made any yet.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

When upgrading to a lightweight crank pulley you are trying to remove rotational weight correct?
CF drive shaft for my car is $1000 and removes 14 lbs of rotational weight as well as having other benefits like better for your axles since it flexes more, can handle more torque, and safer if it breaks. These claims are debated but a lot of people who get them installed say it is the single best upgrade they've done, power wise.

If there isn't alot of aftermarket parts for F Types then gotta find places to throw money at lol.

I emailed the driveshaftshop because they make custom driveshafts but they said they need one as a sample. I guess they haven't made any yet.
No no no... not lighter, bigger (crank pulley) or smaller (supercharger pulley) which creates more boost.

You're still looking at this like the Subaru world. We don't have a lot of aftermarket parts because there isn't much demand. There isn't much demand because they don't sell many. Throwing money into development of products they'll only sell a handful of isn't smart financially.

Your driveshaft may cost $1000 for the Subaru because they can sell hundreds, but for the F type, they'd probably only sell a handful if that, and thus they'd cost thousands more.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
No no no... not lighter, bigger (crank pulley) or smaller (supercharger pulley) which creates more boost.

You're still looking at this like the Subaru world. We don't have a lot of aftermarket parts because there isn't much demand. There isn't much demand because they don't sell many. Throwing money into development of products they'll only sell a handful of isn't smart financially.

Your driveshaft may cost $1000 for the Subaru because they can sell hundreds, but for the F type, they'd probably only sell a handful if that, and thus they'd cost thousands more.
Thanks for clarifying about the pulleys, I guess our cars are more different than I thought.
Having to pay for development would suck, but at least you know your car is truly one of a kind

Old 05-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for clarifying about the pulleys, I guess our cars are more different than I thought.
Having to pay for development would suck, but at least you know your car is truly one of a kind
This is a challenge I thoroughly enjoy taking on

Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Works the same way, but the boost is created in a completely different way. If Subaru is all you know the F type is going to be a huge pain in the *** to work on, everything takes 5x longer and costs 3x more.

Lightweighting still applies, but since everything costs so much it's not a route often explored beyond wheels.