Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 S Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I would only even consider one were I have the OBCDII tool and can reload the flash. It has turned out that most flashes do not stick and that the EC falls back to one of the default maps on the ECU. So you may have a nice tune and dyno run and two weeks later after a spirited drive you are back to were you started from.
A valid concern. Even without the tune, though, the pulley should provide some noticeable torque improvement. The question is whether the engine will be running too lean without the tune, but I can make that determination during the installation and testing process.
If it does occasionally require a re-flash, I have a Eurocharged dealer just 8 miles away and they re-flash for free. They currently appear to be my tuner of choice for that very reason.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The XKR-S in stock tune runs already very lean. My XF SC was much richer in the mix. Where is the Eurocharge shop? The one they had in VA has closed and let all of us hanging who they offered a pulley and tune for $800.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

If someone was going to put the pulley & tune on a V6S odds are they would on this forum, or another forum. If you're modifying cars you tend to share the experience with other people.

Has anyone on this forum put a pulley & tune on a V6S?

Also, you should listen to JgaXkr, he works on Jags for a living and is also tuning them, as an agent for a certain European tuner.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
If someone was going to put the pulley & tune on a V6S odds are they would on this forum, or another forum. If you're modifying cars you tend to share the experience with other people.

Has anyone on this forum put a pulley & tune on a V6S?

Also, you should listen to JgaXkr, he works on Jags for a living and is also tuning them, as an agent for a certain European tuner.
Thanks for letting the forum know that. Message received here, loud and clear.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-28-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
The XKR-S in stock tune runs already very lean. My XF SC was much richer in the mix. Where is the Eurocharge shop? The one they had in VA has closed and let all of us hanging who they offered a pulley and tune for $800.
ISP Racing in Beltsville.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Has anyone on this forum put a pulley & tune on a V6S?.
Good point and fair question. An equally fair question is: Has anyone blown up an AJ126 engine or heard of one blowing up with a tune and/or pulley?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Good point and fair question. An equally fair question is: Has anyone blown up an AJ126 engine or heard of one blowing up with a tune and/or pulley?
26 seconds on google I found this post on another forum

V6 S Prototyping - Jaguar F-Type Forum

From mid-2014...

Well we found out some very interesting information for you Jaguar V6 S owners. The V6 supercharged version has a significantly smaller pulley then the V8 S after measuring. The snouts are the same O.D. and the length is the same. So technically you could go grab a factory V6 S supercharger pulley and put it on your V8 S. This would significantly increase boost! Most aftermarket companies making the pulleys out of billet aluminum are just taking the measurement off of the V6 S pulley. Well we have come up with yet a better plan.
Then they talk about making an even smalley pulley for the blower, and even a bigger pulley for the crank.

And then....nothing, not a single follow up post.

A little bit more searching on google, and that company's website is down, their facebook page gone, and the top hits in google are all from the Better Business Bureau...

Anyhoo...

There are several companies out there selling pulley's to suit the V6S, and some others offering tunes along with pulleys. You really need to get some concrete evidence from those people actually selling the stuff that there is no risk of damage if you do it.

I would bet $50 that they have not sold a pulley + tune for a V6S.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

26 seconds on google I found this post on another forum

V6 S Prototyping - Jaguar F-Type Forum

From mid-2014...

Then they talk about making an even smalley pulley for the blower, and even a bigger pulley for the crank.

And then....nothing, not a single follow up post.

A little bit more searching on google, and that company's website is down, their facebook page gone, and the top hits in google are all from the Better Business Bureau...

Anyhoo...

There are several companies out there selling pulley's to suit the V6S, and some others offering tunes along with pulleys. You really need to get some concrete evidence from those people actually selling the stuff that there is no risk of damage if you do it.

I would bet $50 that they have not sold a pulley + tune for a V6S.
I am aware of the pulley dimensions and the difference between those of the two engines. I do indeed need to do a lot more research, but at the end of the day, if no V6 engines have been done, someone has to be first. Keep in mind, most of the gearheads have opted for the R, as I would have were it available with a manual transmission. It is only now that there is an incentive to get more power out of a V6. If I blow an engine, I have learned an important lesson that I can pass along to others. I am quite perplexed why some folks on the forum seem to be so threatened by someone trying to squeeze a bit more power out of the V6. Don't worry...I still won't be able to keep up with your Rs in the straightaway.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

I am aware of the pulley dimensions and the difference between those of the two engines. I do indeed need to do a lot more research, but at the end of the day, if no V6 engines have been done, someone has to be first. Keep in mind, most of the gearheads have opted for the R, as I would have were it available with a manual transmission. It is only now that there is an incentive to get more power out of a V6. If I blow an engine, I have learned an important lesson that I can pass along to others. I am quite perplexed why some folks on the forum seem to be so threatened by someone trying to squeeze a bit more power out of the V6. Don't worry...I still won't be able to keep up with your Rs in the straightaway.
Lance, I think you've totally misread the concerns being expressed here. I would be stunned if anyone here is "threatened." I can only speak for myself, but I'd hate to see someone destroy a perfectly good engine. That's the sentiment being expressed.

As Cambo said, the poster who asked you to report back "when you throw a rod through the side of the engine" is, according to Cambo, an expert Jaguar tech with intimate knowledge of the V6. He had posted previously that it simply should not be attempted during the discussion that the current blown V6 is already at the hairy edge of its power capability. That makes me wonder about the long-term longevity of the OEM version in the F-Type.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
As Cambo said, the poster who asked you to report back "when you throw a rod through the side of the engine" is, according to Cambo, an expert Jaguar tech with intimate knowledge of the V6. He had posted previously that it simply should not be attempted during the discussion that the current blown V6 is already at the hairy edge of its power capability. That makes me wonder about the long-term longevity of the OEM version in the F-Type.
Foosh, that is the same thing I am beginning to wonder. If a Jag tech has so little faith that the V6S can handle a mere 10% boost in torque, there must be some serious shortcomings with that platform.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

If a Jag tech has so little faith that the V6S can handle a mere 10% boost in torque, there must be some serious shortcomings with that platform.
Or it's already at it's reliable max off the showroom floor...

Old 03-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Or it's already at it's reliable max off the showroom floor...
That's certainly what I'm hoping is the case.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM

Absolutely not threatened, just don't want to see someone pop the engine in a brand new car that they waited so long for, and then have the warranty denied because they out a pulley on it.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely not threatened, just don't want to see someone pop the engine in a brand new car that they waited so long for, and then have the warranty denied because they out a pulley on it.
I appreciate the concern. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Lance, I think you've totally misread the concerns being expressed here. I would be stunned if anyone here is "threatened." I can only speak for myself, but I'd hate to see someone destroy a perfectly good engine. That's the sentiment being expressed.

I would like to clarify something please. Where does Cambo say I am an "expert Jaguar tech"? Here is what he said.

" Also, you should listen to JgaXkr, he works on Jags for a living and is also tuning them, as an agent for a certain European tuner."

I am currently the service manager @ a Jaguar dealer,(not an expert Jaguar tech) the same job I have had for 30 years between a couple of dealers. I am also a dealer for Rica Tuning. Yes I have tune quite a few cars, many of them the newer V6. When I asked Rica about adding a pulley to the V6 they said do not do it. He made reference to this article Jaguar F-Type Fire: What Caused The New Jag Roadster To Burn Like A Ferrari In Belgium?. He seemed to know more than he was letting on. I have not seen a V6 blow up but have seen a few links to cars catching on fire including this one. I can also say none of the Rica tunes have ever reverted back to stock.

The following 2 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
Cambo (03-28-2015), Foosh (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I would like to clarify something please. Where does Cambo say I am an "expert Jaguar tech"? Here is what he said.

" Also, you should listen to JgaXkr, he works on Jags for a living and is also tuning them, as an agent for a certain European tuner."

I am currently the service manager @ a Jaguar dealer,(not an expert Jaguar tech) the same job I have had for 30 years between a couple of dealers. I am also a dealer for Rica Tuning. Yes I have tune quite a few cars, many of them the newer V6. When I asked Rica about adding a pulley to the V6 they said do not do it. He made reference to this article Jaguar F-Type Fire: What Caused The New Jag Roadster To Burn Like A Ferrari In Belgium?. He seemed to know more than he was letting on. I have not seen a V6 blow up but have seen a few links to cars catching on fire including this one. I can also say none of the Rica tunes have ever reverted back to stock.
Thanks for the clarification. My inference was based upon what Cambo said, "works on Jags for a living." And yes, I was also referring to the pulley above.

However, and of more interest to me, is the rest of your post above, which is the first credible post I've seen here on tunes. For a Jaguar service manager to be a Rica dealer speaks volumes (at least to me) about being able to have confidence in that tune doing no harm.

Could you please elaborate on what the Rica can do for the base V6 and for the V6S? In addition, as a Jaguar service manager, would you have any concerns about recommending it for a car under warranty?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-28-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Just went to the Rica website, and found the info I was looking for on performance differences. Both their V6 and V6S tunes produce the same max HP (398) and same peak torque gain. So for the base car, the claimed gains are very substantial--not so much for the V6S. That suggests to me, that the OEM V6S OEM tune is close to the max.

As a base owner, it looks very attractive! I'd would like to hear a little more from JgaXkr.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-28-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

JgaXkr, thanks so much for providing the source of a very valid concern. This is the most useful of the V6 tuning posts as it relies on factual reports rather than opinion. I gotta say: bursting into flames is a lot more concerning than grenading an engine. I'm not in the habit of wearing my Nomex suit on the street.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a big favor & don't put a pulley on a V6.
Its been quite a while since you've posted this, but I'd like to get more of your opinion on this matter.
I don't have a F-Type, but I do have the AJ126 in an XF SC (2013).
The best and most popular upgrades suggested here on this forum are the lower crank pulley and a tune.
You're saying "no crank pulley"?........just a tune?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2022, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by RochaSDS
Its been quite a while since you've posted this, but I'd like to get more of your opinion on this matter.
I don't have a F-Type, but I do have the AJ126 in an XF SC (2013).
The best and most popular upgrades suggested here on this forum are the lower crank pulley and a tune.
You're saying "no crank pulley"?........just a tune?

Thanks
There is much more current information than in this seven year old thread. Check the threads on VAP and you'll get information from this decade, and comments from people with tens of thousands of miles on their configurations.

This is the main one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8s-v8r-158091/

Quick Reply: V6 S Pulley