F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Tunes LongTerm Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default V6 Tunes LongTerm Feedback

Hi, wondering how many folks have been tuned, which tune, and for how many miles, along with any issues experienced related to the tune. i wasn't finding any long-term feedback on how the v6 cars are holding up long term in a tuned state.

-Tune Type?
-Miles Tuned?
-Any tune related issues?

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

-Tune Type? VAP
-Miles Tuned? 24K+ miles since I first tuned. Some stock tune in there around services.
-Any tune related issues? - One service did update the stock file, so I needed to have the tune reapplied to the new file. Don't let them update the ECU if you haven't restored the stock file. As for actual issues with the tune itself? Nope.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Started with a 2014 F-Type S so 375 bhp stock.

1. Tune type - VAP basic, 412 bhp.
Miles - around four months and 2,000 miles.
Issues - zero.

2. Tune type - VAP "with bigger crank pulley" tune (using a Eurotoys pulley, identical to the VAP pulley), 450 bhp.
Miles - around 16 months and 8,000 miles.
Issues - zero.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

VAP tune with upper (Mina Gallery) and lower pulley (Eurotoys) (456hp). 24k miles on tune. Initially the throttle response was uneven, but VAP adjusted the tune with great success. Sweet ride.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully we get some more folks to chime in and paint more of a picture around long-term v6 tuned feedback, this community is much smaller that the bmw community i'm used to so trying to learn as much as i can before our new car arrives.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Jklad
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully we get some more folks to chime in and paint more of a picture around long-term v6 tuned feedback, this community is much smaller that the bmw community i'm used to so trying to learn as much as i can before our new car arrives.
Truth be told, lizzardo, OzXFR, and Unhingd are three of this Forum’s most esteemed members so if those three have nothing but positive news and results to report that is good enough for me. Just saying...

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Truth be told, lizzardo, OzXFR, and Unhingd are three of this Forum’s most esteemed members so if those three have nothing but positive news and results to report that is good enough for me. Just saying...
Agreed, I picked up on their expertise pretty quickly! I think the more data points the better, at the very least i haven't found any threads pointing to issues or accelerated wear caused by the tunes (e.g. on plugs, coils, injectors, etc.) so that's a good sign. Essentially, it seems like the engine, blower, trans, injectors, coils, plugs, are all the same across the V6, V6s, and 400 and Jaguar just tunes them differently, is that correct? We're (excitedly) taking delivery of a 2016 V6 base auto in a few days so cramming to learn as much as possible!

Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

RickyJay modestly didn't mention he has the VAP tune, primarily to get the snaps & crackles back which were lost to a software update (trust me, he doesn't need more power - he might end up in orbit.) I also have the VAP tune, which I haven't installed yet - car is about the go in for scheduled maintenance, so I'll install it after that.

RickyJay52 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed, I picked up on their expertise pretty quickly! I think the more data points the better, at the very least i haven't found any threads pointing to issues or accelerated wear caused by the tunes (e.g. on plugs, coils, injectors, etc.) so that's a good sign. Essentially, it seems like the engine, blower, trans, injectors, coils, plugs, are all the same across the V6, V6s, and 400 and Jaguar just tunes them differently, is that correct? We're (excitedly) taking delivery of a 2016 V6 base auto in a few days so cramming to learn as much as possible!
Maybe after driving the car you won’t even want a tune? I’m all for modifications - and our Unhingd is THE King of mods - but perhaps you’re putting the cart [tune] before the horse [car]? Of course if you already know that you will be seeking additional power, go for it. One thing I am quite certain of, you WILL love this car.

Good luck!

Jklad (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
RickyJay modestly didn't mention he has the VAP tune, primarily to get the snaps & crackles back which were lost to a software update (trust me, he doesn't need more power - he might end up in orbit.) I also have the VAP tune, which I haven't installed yet - car is about the go in for scheduled maintenance, so I'll install it after that.
Add DJS to the list of esteemed - and extremely knowledgeable - Forum members.

jaguny (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:05 PM

I'm more excited about it now than i was before - honestly, it's my wife's car, she's wanted an F-type convertible for a while and (unfortunately for me) it had to be automatic for her to tool around in during the week. We test drove a V8 awd and it was awesome but crazy, too much car for her. This will be her first rwd vehicle, plus she's never driven anything north of 270 hp so she'll have to get a good feel for it first. I have a 2007 335 MT coupe fbo tuned to 400+ hp with mods with 150k miles on it, owned for 10 years and absolutely love that car, so we'll see how this one stacks up...I wouldn't want her car to be faster than mine haha!!

Old 05-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

I'm more excited about it now than i was before - honestly, it's my wife's car, she's wanted an F-type convertible for a while and (unfortunately for me) it had to be automatic for her to tool around in during the week. We test drove a V8 awd and it was awesome but crazy, too much car for her. This will be her first rwd vehicle, plus she's never driven anything north of 270 hp so she'll have to get a good feel for it first. I have a 2007 335 MT coupe fbo tuned to 400+ hp with mods with 150k miles on it, owned for 10 years and absolutely love that car, so we'll see how this one stacks up...I wouldn't want her car to be faster than mine haha!!
All the more reason(s), now that we know it’s for your wife and her experience “up to 270 hp”. Trust me...us...”even” the base car is plenty fast enough. As much as I respect VAP and like Stuart I’m not seeing the need to tune your [your wife’s] new automobile.

Nuff said.

Jklad (06-04-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

No one has answered your question yet, but yes these parts are identical across all versions and tunes of the V6 and the only difference is the tune in the ECU.
I'm betting that at least you and maybe SWMBO will find the base V6 (335 bhp) strong enough to start with but after 3 or 4 months you will wish for a bit more giddy up.
My advice is to go the same path I did - put the basic VAP tune on first (412 bhp) and see if that is enough for you. Then, if you want more, buy a larger crank pulley and put the associated tune on (450 bhp). One of the good things about the VAP tune is the "with pulley" tune costs no more, you can ask them to load it on the hand held device from the get-go for the same price. The pulley will cost extra though.

Jklad (06-04-2019)