Sponsored by:

V6 tvs1900

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts
Default V6 tvs1900

Hello,

Looking for ways to increase power on the v6 and at this point it’s seems like a bigger supercharger is next. I’ve been trying to collect information on the forum but it appears that only one member has done it.

Considering the v6 and v8 share a lot of parts, I think it is reasonable to try and physically fit the tvs1900

I’m aware that there is a size difference btw the superchargers, but from what I’ve read it seems the upper plenum gasket is the same btw the 3.0 and the 5.0, so an adapter is not needed. However, the Actuator, duct resonator, resonator bracket, vacuum hose appear to be different.

From a technical standpoint could anybody give information on things to consider in regards to fitment?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

From what I read, I believe there is a SC between 5.0 that uses TVS R1900, the 3.0 uses the TVS R1320. I don't know if any of these swaps is direct bolt-on, but V6 and V8 share a lot of parts, including the little-know fact that V6 uses V8 block with two blocked cylinders.

My peanut gallery opinion that before you even consider bigger SC you will have to solve cooling issues. Unless you are fine with doing only one pull at the time from cold engine. V6S can be tuned to 450ish HP with existing hardware, but not safely as hit soak becomes a big issue. Jaguar briefly offered 400 tunes on special editions V6S but they discontinued it as very hot places (e.g. Dubai) were hitting thermal safety maps.

From what I seen with my car, with 100% stock V6S with 380 stock tune the car hits thermal safety and pulls timing if I continuously lap on a very hot day (say 100F+ degree weather). I have to do a cool-down pit stop every 5 hot laps or so to avoid this. This does not happen at 90F and below. This isn't as bad as say some C7 issues, but you can easily get there with a tune.

Last edited by SinF; 08-16-2020 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
FType17 (08-24-2020), Panthro (09-25-2023)
Old 08-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by SinF
From what I read, I believe there is a SC between 5.0 that uses TVS R1900, the 3.0 uses the TVS R1320. I don't know if any of these swaps is direct bolt-on, but V6 and V8 share a lot of parts, including the little-know fact that V6 uses V8 block with two blocked cylinders.

My peanut gallery opinion that before you even consider bigger SC you will have to solve cooling issues. Unless you are fine with doing only one pull at the time from cold engine. V6S can be tuned to 450ish HP with existing hardware, but not safely as hit soak becomes a big issue. Jaguar briefly offered 400 tunes on special editions V6S but they discontinued it as very hot places (e.g. Dubai) were hitting thermal safety maps.

From what I seen with my car, with 100% stock V6S with 380 stock tune the car hits thermal safety and pulls timing if I continuously lap on a very hot day (say 100F+ degree weather). I have to do a cool-down pit stop every 5 hot laps or so to avoid this. This does not happen at 90F and below. This isn't as bad as say some C7 issues, but you can easily get there with a tune.
Thank you for the response!

Apparently the v6 and v8 have nearly identical cooling systems. This make me believe the cooling issue is actually a result of the supercharger, as the v8 supercharger can handle both upper and lower pulley.

Initially I was looking for a solution for the cooling problem, so I could add the upper pulley. However it seems like the upgraded intercooler, doesn’t solve the problem. Neither does aftermarket intakes nor a separate coolant delivery system.

This is what lead me to consider a larger supercharger, a long with the thought that it will probably be the largest increase in power relative to cost

Old 08-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Obi
However it seems like the upgraded intercooler, doesn’t solve the problem. Neither does aftermarket intakes nor a separate coolant delivery system.
Well, to best of my knowledge nobody came back here and reported that it worked. Doesn't mean that there is no solution. The big issue on this specific forum is that it is taken over by VAP and everyone else trying different things were run out of town. VAP tune make heat soak even bigger issue than it already is, but it seem like install base either doesn't track and/or lives in moderate climate.

If I felt that my V6S needed more power, and that gearbox and differential* could take that additional power, my initial approach would be upgraded intercooler and upgraded high flow pump. The next step would be to polish supercharger and get it coated with thermal barrier.

* V6S LSD is very fragile, if you tune much past 400 budget for Torsen.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-201096/

Originally Posted by Obi
This is what lead me to consider a larger supercharger, a long with the thought that it will probably be the largest increase in power relative to cost
Yes, it would be larger increase in power, but your car will be one-pull wonder. You will have to stack ice on it before every pull.

Sorry, this is not sound logic. Heat is created by compressing air. More compressing with a bigger supercharger will produce more heat. Larger supercharger is not a way to fight heat soak, quite the opposite.

Last edited by SinF; 08-16-2020 at 02:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-25-2023)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Before you commit to an upgrade path, please understand how most forced induction engines die from too much boost. Typically, injectors can't provide enough fuel during WOT, this results in lean condition and spike in heat. Second scenario that intercooler doesn't keep up and intake air temperature gets too hot. In both cases fuel ignites without spark (preignition) resulting in detonation. Fuel ignition while piston is still traveling upward during compression cycle will wreck bearings, valves and pistons.

Last edited by SinF; 08-16-2020 at 02:17 PM.
FType17 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by SinF
Well, to best of my knowledge nobody came back here and reported that it worked. Doesn't mean that there is no solution. The big issue on this specific forum is that it is taken over by VAP and everyone else trying different things were run out of town. VAP tune make heat soak even bigger issue than it already is, but it seem like install base either doesn't track and/or lives in moderate climate.

If I felt that my V6S needed more power, and that gearbox and differential* could take that additional power, my initial approach would be upgraded intercooler and upgraded high flow pump. The next step would be to polish supercharger and get it coated with thermal barrier.

* V6S LSD is very fragile, if you tune much past 400 budget for Torsen.

Take a look at this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-201096/

Yes, it would be larger increase in power, but your car will be one-pull wonder. You will have to stack ice on it before every pull.

Sorry, this is not sound logic. Heat is created by compressing air. More compressing with a bigger supercharger will produce more heat. Larger supercharger is not a way to fight heat soak, quite the opposite.
Thank you for the replying again,

Both engines use the same fuel delivery system and cooling systems... which again leads me to think the difference is related to the supercharger.

Compression may lead to heat but maybe the difference in rpm could also play a part? Higher RPM, more friction, more heat (at least in theory). It’s been a while since physics at university.

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...S/4760690.html

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...R/F30B010.html

Vengeance 640 has been running 640 hp for a tens of thousands of miles. He also uses a bigger supercharger (1740) amongs other mods including boring his engine for 3.4L. So, I’m not too worried about the engine, but I do appreciate the notification

Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

F-type R has bigger oil cooler than V6 at least. I want to to swap them, since the oil temp is the first bottleneck as in almost every roadcar.

Panthro (09-25-2023)
Old 08-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by J444G
F-type R has bigger oil cooler than V6 at least. I want to to swap them, since the oil temp is the first bottleneck as in almost every roadcar.
Thank you for the information, will look into it !

Old 08-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The V6 block has a void at the rear where the V8 has its extra 2 cylinders. The intake plenum on theV6 has a smaller footprint as does the base of the TVS R1320 SC. To install a larger SC you’d need to machine a new plenum.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Panthro (09-25-2023), SinF (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The V6 block has a void at the rear where the V8 has its extra 2 cylinders. The intake plenum on theV6 has a smaller footprint as does the base of the TVS R1320 SC. To install a larger SC you’d need to machine a new plenum.
Anybody know somebody who could do this ?

Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 08-18-2020, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

lol.
Any custom high performance machine shop should be able to carve it out of a block of aluminum but you’d have to hand them the old SC and the new SC to design the transition piece. Then you get to worry about hood clearance. Something I was considering at one time, but given the torque capacity on the manual transmission, it’s not practical. The AT, however, could handle it. At 425 lb-ft I’m already chancing it with a 370 lb-ft published max. on the S6-45 tranny.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by Unhingd
lol.
Any custom high performance machine shop should be able to carve it out of a block of aluminum but you’d have to hand them the old SC and the new SC to design the transition piece. Then you get to worry about hood clearance. Something I was considering at one time, but given the torque capacity on the manual transmission, it’s not practical. The AT, however, could handle it. At 425 lb-ft I’m already chancing it with a 370 lb-ft published max. on the S6-45 tranny.
Appreciate the guidance good sir

Old 08-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

SinF gave you a lot of great info, all very accurate. Heat management is a huge concern when it comes to the F-Type. You will need to consider coatings, better airflow management and don't expect to be doing 0-60 pulls light to light because after 5-6 of them you will be running rich is safe mode. If you manage to get it done, this is what you will end up with. It brings the very best out of the F-Type, on street and on track

Old 09-17-2020, 10:46 PM
Obi

Originally Posted by FType17
SinF gave you a lot of great info, all very accurate. Heat management is a huge concern when it comes to the F-Type. You will need to consider coatings, better airflow management and don't expect to be doing 0-60 pulls light to light because after 5-6 of them you will be running rich is safe mode. If you manage to get it done, this is what you will end up with. It brings the very best out of the F-Type, on street and on track

https://youtu.be/AEmT5LF9Sk0
Aiming for something similar,

would water / methanol suffice ?
Will probably add 200 cell cats and call it a day

Old 03-12-2023, 10:48 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

What a difference three years makes. No injector change needed for the AJ126. Just two pulleys and an Ethanol tune, hello 553Hp in my XE. Cooling does not seem to be a problem. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, quarter mile in the 12's. Thanks Velocityap .com. https://www.velocityap.com/product/a...5-tuning-file/

The following 2 users liked this post by Austin7:
DJS (03-12-2023), djyankees31 (03-13-2023)