Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V6S ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default V6 or V6S ?

Hi there,
Ive been shopping around for s V6S here in Australia.
Ive come across one with no S badges on the car. Asked the gentleman why and he said that he opted not to have them put on when he bought the car brand new.

Im struggling to find out whether this car is definitely a v6S or base model. Does anyone have any idea how to tell besides the air vent S and front and rear badges?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

There is another thread around here somewhere where someone else asked the exact same question, but I can't find it!
Several things you can check for:
- get the VIN and put it into tOPIX (the JLR vehicle system). If an S the Vehicle Summary will have a line saying "Engine Power Source 380/470" (PS/Nm) if a base the figures will 340/460 (I'm sure about the 340, not so sure if 460 is correct).
- check the front brakes, if they are the smaller 355 mm then definitely not an S as the S always came with at least the 380 mm front brakes. Same if the tyres are 18" as the S always had at least 19" wheels and the 18" wheels on the base do not fit over the 380 mm front brakes. This is probably your easiest check, just look yourself or get the seller to send you a close up pic of a front wheel/brake.
- check for wiring plugs and leads on top of the front dampers, easy to spot under the bonnet. I *think* no leads means not an S as I *think* all Oz delivered S's came with active suspension but I'm not 100% sure of this..
- check for active exhaust valves on the rear muffler. No valves means probably not an S but not definitive as I believe it was optional even on an S.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
There is another thread around here somewhere where someone else asked the exact same question, but I can't find it!
Several things you can check for:
- get the VIN and put it into tOPIX (the JLR vehicle system). If an S the Vehicle Summary will have a line saying "Engine Power Source 380/470" (PS/Nm) if a base the figures will 340/460 (I'm sure about the 340, not so sure if 460 is correct).
- check the front brakes, if they are the smaller 355 mm then definitely not an S as the S always came with at least the 380 mm front brakes. Same if the tyres are 18" as the S always had at least 19" wheels and the 18" wheels on the base do not fit over the 380 mm front brakes. This is probably your easiest check, just look yourself or get the seller to send you a close up pic of a front wheel/brake.
- check for wiring plugs and leads on top of the front dampers, easy to spot under the bonnet. I *think* no leads means not an S as I *think* all Oz delivered S's came with active suspension but I'm not 100% sure of this..
- check for active exhaust valves on the rear muffler. No valves means probably not an S but not definitive as I believe it was optional even on an S.
Hey @OzXFR
Thanks for the extensive info.
I gave the topix system a shot.
Unfortunately under vehicle details it doesnt state any power outputs. Hopefully the attached screenshot image works.
Will any of that info convey the answer?

Cheers

Old 09-09-2019, 02:34 AM

Also, he opted for 20inch wheels.
Attached an image of his brakes from the ad.
I know it might be hard to tell but thought id try.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:13 AM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonz

Also, he opted for 20inch wheels.
Attached an image of his brakes from the ad.
I know it might be hard to tell but thought id try.
Those are the 380mm "high performance" brakes that come standard on the s models. However, I believe they can also be had on the base as an option.

Check the topix report for mention of a limited slip differential (LSD). If it's there, the car is certainly an s.

*edit: as OzXFR pointed out, those are in fact NOT the 380mm brakes!

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 09-09-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Those are the 380mm "high performance" brakes that come standard on the s models. However, I believe they can also be had on the base as an option.

Check the topix report for mention of a limited slip differential (LSD). If it's there, the car is certainly an s.
Bzzzzt, they are the 355 mm front brakes not the 380 mm jobbies.
I reckon I have become a bit of an expert at picking the difference based on even a sliver of a pic of them.
The main giveaway is the width of the caliper bracket (the part closest to the hub), the 355 mm bracket is a lot thicker than the 380 mm bracket (as well as a different shape on the ends).
It also helps that I had a car with the 355 mm brakes (2010 XFS) and two with the 380 mm front brakes and I have changed pads and/or rotors several times on all of them.
Bottom line - it's a base not an S, 100% for certain.
Bonz - the seller is having a lend of you, run away!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:24 AM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

I reckon I have become a bit of an expert at picking the difference based on even a sliver of a pic of them.
The main giveaway is the width of the caliper bracket (the part closest to the hub), the 355 mm bracket is a lot thicker than the 380 mm bracket (as well as a different shape on the ends).
It also helps that I had a car with the 355 mm brakes (2010 XFS) and two with the 380 mm front brakes and I have changed pads and/or rotors several times on all of them.
You're too fast for me! I just took a second look after checking a picture of my own ride, was about to edit. Rats!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
You're too fast for me! I just took a second look after checking a picture of my own ride, was about to edit. Rats!

You are very unlucky as that is probably the first time I have ever been too quick, every other time I have been too slow due to fat fingered typing then having to correct my boo-boos!
Reminds me of when I went shopping for my first XF.
I wanted an XFS (3.0 V6 twin turbo diesel here in Oz) not the "base" V6 diesel, as the S came with more power and lots more torque (600 Nm vs 500 Nm) and a few goodies that the base didn't get.
The first one I looked at was advertised as an S and it was just down the road from me, low mileage, great condition and good price.
But it didn't have an S badge on the boot lid and the Owner's Handbook original dealership page had "500 Nm" hand written on it so straight away I picked it as being a base not an S.
Turns out the selling agent (not the actual seller) thought that the "S" (for Sport mode) on the rotary gear selector meant it was an S, so they advertised it as an XFS!
Obviously I didn't buy that one but by sheer coincidence it was the exact same colour as my current F-Type, Lunar Grey.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 AM

Wow @OzXFR ....that was close.
Also as @Luc Lapierre said to check the topix system for the limited slip diff. I found a "rear axle open diff" in the features.
Img attached.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Wow @OzXFR ....that was close.
Also as @Luc Lapierre said to check the topix system for the limited slip diff. I found a "rear axle open diff" in the features.
Img attached.
It also shows "Performance Brake Program" so another certain giveaway that it is a base not an S.
Performance brakes = 355 front and 326 rear.
If it was an S it would have at least the "High Performance" brakes, 380 front and 326 rear.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I had a look at it on carsales, it looks pretty good and cheap but as you have seen likely to be the base with lots of options. Personally if it was the right price I would still be interested if I thought that the owner was honest provided that it had adaptive suspension which for me is the critical difference between the base and the S. I find the ride in the base too hard, personally. I also see that it has the base seats which I'm not that fond of. Hard ride and base seats can explain why these cars have such low mileage, though that might be just me.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The silver calipers are also a dead giveaway that they’re the performance brakes from the base. Steer clear of this deal. You don’t know what else the owner is lying about.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:15 AM

It also shows "Performance Brake Program" so another certain giveaway that it is a base not an S.
Performance brakes = 355 front and 326 rear.
If it was an S it would have at least the "High Performance" brakes, 380 front and 326 rear.
Well, thats that then. Also called another dealer about an S today which they told me it was incorrectly listed when i asked further about the model.
Be careful buyers!

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I had a look at it on carsales, it looks pretty good and cheap but as you have seen likely to be the base with lots of options. Personally if it was the right price I would still be interested if I thought that the owner was honest provided that it had adaptive suspension which for me is the critical difference between the base and the S. I find the ride in the base too hard, personally. I also see that it has the base seats which I'm not that fond of. Hard ride and base seats can explain why these cars have such low mileage, though that might be just me.
Yeah now that i know what to look for...definitely base.
I 100% agree...reeeeally want the sport seats but running out of options in australia. So was considering compromising. Kinda glad i didnt.
But yeah makes sense about the mileage...
Call that guy up and ask if the car is an S as well...haha kinda annoyed that he tried to trick me...

Old 09-09-2019, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The silver calipers are also a dead giveaway that they’re the performance brakes from the base. Steer clear of this deal. You don’t know what else the owner is lying about.
Yep, missed the silver calipers giveaway, duh!
Agreed, if the seller is claiming it is an S when he surely knows it's only a base (and he makes up a story about ordering it without S badges) then I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Hey Bonz, tell you what, you can buy my fully optioned genuine S for a fair price if only I can find a good R going cheapish!
Only one problem - I really want any R that I buy to be from SA to avoid the horrendous sales tax that applies to interstate imports, and there has never, and I mean NEVER been a used R advertised for sale in SA!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member

Well, thats that then. Also called another dealer about an S today which they told me it was incorrectly listed when i asked further about the model.
Be careful buyers!

Yeah now that i know what to look for...definitely base.
I 100% agree...reeeeally want the sport seats but running out of options in australia. So was considering compromising. Kinda glad i didnt.
But yeah makes sense about the mileage...
Call that guy up and ask if the car is an S as well...haha kinda annoyed that he tried to trick me...
It's actually very common to mistakenly advertise a base as an S, at least in Oz, mainly because the default car description on sites such as Car Sales lists the base as "Jaguar F-Type V6S" where the S means Supercharged.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Haha and he told me he opted not to have them painted..
Now i know! Thsnks @Unhingd

Yep, missed the silver calipers giveaway, duh!
Agreed, if the seller is claiming it is an S when he surely knows it's only a base (and he makes up a story about ordering it without S badges) then I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Hey Bonz, tell you what, you can buy my fully optioned genuine S for a fair price if only I can find a good R going cheapish!
Only one problem - I really want any R that I buy to be from SA to avoid the horrendous sales tax that applies to interstate imports, and there has never, and I mean NEVER been a used R advertised for sale in SA!
Im waiting here! Put it up on carsales already.
Just had a look, youre right!
Yeah ive bought most of my vehicles from melbourne, thr interstate taxes suuuuuck.

It's actually very common to mistakenly advertise a base as an S, at least in Oz, mainly because the default car description on sites such as Car Sales lists the base as "Jaguar F-Type V6S" where the S means Supercharged.
Yeah i see what you mean. Seems to be a reoccuring thing.
Well thanks to you guys i dodged a bullet.

Cheers

Old 09-09-2019, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Keep looking. I had a rush of blood to go to the R or SVR and was getting trade in prices of $75K to $80K on my car with about 30,000km on it. The 16.5 to 17 model years are coming out of 3 year leases now and in my humble opinion they are the pick because they have the fancier dash, better infotainment, but retain the shark gill front vents before the '18 model year changed it. Kilometers arent really a problem on these cars if they have been looked after, I had my XKR from 30,000km until 60,000km and it was pretty much flawless (one faulty headlamp module), so getting a 16.5 v6S with 25,000km or so on it for around what you were looking to pay should be well and truly achievable, the longer you hold out the cheaper they will be and the more you can pick from.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Keep looking. I had a rush of blood to go to the R or SVR and was getting trade in prices of $75K to $80K on my car with about 30,000km on it. The 16.5 to 17 model years are coming out of 3 year leases now and in my humble opinion they are the pick because they have the fancier dash, better infotainment, but retain the shark gill front vents before the '18 model year changed it. Kilometers arent really a problem on these cars if they have been looked after, I had my XKR from 30,000km until 60,000km and it was pretty much flawless (one faulty headlamp module), so getting a 16.5 v6S with 25,000km or so on it for around what you were looking to pay should be well and truly achievable, the longer you hold out the cheaper they will be and the more you can pick from.
Yeah youre right. Just impatient haha
I agree with the shark style grill, preferrable.
Guess its just a matter of time.
Thanks for the info @BruceTheQuail ! Makes sense to me.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

LSD and bigger brakes (380mm) are very much worthwhile addition to F-type. While power difference between F-type and F-type S is negligible across power band (and you can always tune for more), ability to put that power down in RWD configuration with and without LSD is huge.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
ability to put that power down in RWD configuration with and without LSD is huge.
Without an LSD, you only wear out the RR tire. <---Money saver

Quick Reply: V6 or V6S ?