Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V6S ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Hey Bonz,
I'm guessing you are in Melbourne or at least Victoria.
If so this used F-Type S coupe looks to be a good deal: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...17576961/?Cr=2
Reasonably recent model (2017), very low ks (4,150), fairly well specced and not a bad price.
About the only things it seems to be missing are a pano roof (but it has a CF one instead), 770W surround sound and powered tail gate.
Optional extras it has that I can see include fixed spoiler (rare), reversing camera, black pack, 20" CF insert wheels, performance seats with memory and heat, DAB radio, bright finish pedals and "sports" (flat bottomed) steering wheel.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hey Bonz,
I'm guessing you are in Melbourne or at least Victoria.
If so this used F-Type S coupe looks to be a good deal: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...17576961/?Cr=2
Reasonably recent model (2017), very low ks (4,150), fairly well specced and not a bad price.
About the only things it seems to be missing are a pano roof (but it has a CF one instead), 770W surround sound and powered tail gate.
Optional extras it has that I can see include fixed spoiler (rare), reversing camera, black pack, 20" CF insert wheels, performance seats with memory and heat, DAB radio, bright finish pedals and "sports" (flat bottomed) steering wheel.
In Sydney @OzXFR but i dont mind travelling/interstate taxes for the right vehicle and if the price is right.
While i also think that one is a great deal, pano roof was a must for me and im still getting used the firesand colour. Im usually more of a standard black, white or silver guy haha.
Whats your opinion on this one in melbourne. Its got great options, just the kms and possibly the age may be a problem for some..
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6144497

Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Hi, the car is probably fine but it has the outdated media tech which is actually pretty hard to use in my opinion, it also has hydraulic steering (which is fine though I preferred the EPAS), and the info panel between the dials is the old format. Those things arent problems except for the media to me, but I am not unknown to peculiarity. As a trade in I would have thought the offers would be around $60K maximum, so I'd think the price to be pretty optimistic. If I was in the market for one I would have thought that car to be decent buying from a private seller at $70K though I might go to $75K if I really liked it. White is the most popular colour (before black), there are plenty of them coming up.

I'm no expert, though.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Neither, v8 or nothing

Old 09-10-2019, 12:27 AM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

I hate that Jaguar made me choose between having the meanest engine and having three pedals and a stick.

First world problems!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi, the car is probably fine but it has the outdated media tech which is actually pretty hard to use in my opinion, it also has hydraulic steering (which is fine though I preferred the EPAS), and the info panel between the dials is the old format. Those things arent problems except for the media to me, but I am not unknown to peculiarity. As a trade in I would have thought the offers would be around $60K maximum, so I'd think the price to be pretty optimistic. If I was in the market for one I would have thought that car to be decent buying from a private seller at $70K though I might go to $75K if I really liked it. White is the most popular colour (before black), there are plenty of them coming up.

I'm no expert, though.
Whats your opinion on the Merryway replacement fitout?
Ive just come out of a 17' c43 coupe and that thing was great for infotainments/options etc but i found myself not caring for it over the 2 years. Just music, rear cam for me haha.
Interesting, i didnt expect the prices to be that low.
Yeah black and white everywhere...a silver one showed up the other day and it got snatched within a day. 2015 with every option you could want. Unfortunate...

Originally Posted by lossking_
Neither, v8 or nothing
If only i had a spare 25k to spend...

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I hate that Jaguar made me choose between having the meanest engine and having three pedals and a stick.

First world problems!
Haha so ive heard many times.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bonz
If only i had a spare 25k to spend...
I'm starting to see some very attractive deals on V8's around these parts (read: close to what I paid for my V6s with similar mileage ). Leases ending and so on. I'd be surprised if something affordable didn't eventually crop up for you - if the V8 is really what you really want.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 09-10-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
I'm starting to see some very attractive deals on V8's around these parts (read: close to what I paid for my V6s with similar mileage ). Leases ending and so on. I'd be surprised if something affordable didn't eventually crop up for you - if the V8 is really what you really want.
Yeah for sure, theyre getting closer to what id like to spend.
When did you buy your v6s and how have you found the depreciation?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

Over here the '14 8's are starting at about $110K from time to time. The SVR's are around $170K for a '16 build. There is a lot of difference between what people are asking and what people are getting.

There is a thread on the Merryway refit, Cambo might be the one to help there as he seems to be the expert and is based in Sydney.

Silver with black pack was my second choice of colour, it looks amazing on these cars. But the one I was looking at when mine popped up was over $200K for a v6S offered by dealers in Sydney who dont seem to be very aggressive with pricing. I usually just phone around until I come up with something I like (usually NSW or Victoria) and then have it trucked up to me. Bought a few good cars that way, from Jag dealers.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:44 PM

Over here the '14 8's are starting at about $110K from time to time. The SVR's are around $170K for a '16 build. There is a lot of difference between what people are asking and what people are getting.

There is a thread on the Merryway refit, Cambo might be the one to help there as he seems to be the expert and is based in Sydney.

Silver with black pack was my second choice of colour, it looks amazing on these cars. But the one I was looking at when mine popped up was over $200K for a v6S offered by dealers in Sydney who dont seem to be very aggressive with pricing. I usually just phone around until I come up with something I like (usually NSW or Victoria) and then have it trucked up to me. Bought a few good cars that way, from Jag dealers.
True, people are getting offers below their asking price.
If i go the 2014, id seriously be considering the merryway.

Yeah this one had the black pack and everything else i wanted. No surprise as to why it sold within a matter of hours...

Old 09-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Yeah for sure, theyre getting closer to what id like to spend.
When did you buy your v6s and how have you found the depreciation?
I bought it at the end of February of this year.

Not exactly sure about depreciation, but based on a quick estimate on the Kelley blue book online valuator I'd cap my depreciation at about 10% off purchase price. I've put roughly 6k km on it since purchase (24k to 30k).

No idea how accurate/reliable that estimate is.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a bit of an expert at depreciation over here, after all my last 10 cars have all been volvos or Jaguars (other than a couple of Mazdas and an alfa for the kids).

It does depend a little on the end of the market, but Jaguars and volvos here are both beaten senseless by depreciation in the first year - trade in value would be maybe 60% of driveaway price after year one, maybe up to 70% if you have disregarded GST/VAT. Second year is better, probably 50% after end year 2, and 40 - 45% at the end of year 3, each on the driveaway price. I'm not so sure about private sale prices, it is very hard to sell a car from more than $50K privately, but I'd think you'd claw back another 10% or so. On our previous XE we had paid $85K for it in December 2015 (which included $7K GST) and were offered $31K as a trade in July this year, I sold it for $36K (to a lovely couple) within a week of advertising in gumtree and facebook marketplace but I only had one responder to the ad even though it was the cheapest one there by far, so that is about 40% of the new car price (incl GST).

Jags and volvos are not that different to other marques, save maybe Porsche which retains a lot of value, but there isnt so much of a ready market for them as most people are looking at the Germans.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM

I'm a bit of an expert at depreciation over here, after all my last 10 cars have all been volvos or Jaguars (other than a couple of Mazdas and an alfa for the kids).

It does depend a little on the end of the market, but Jaguars and volvos here are both beaten senseless by depreciation in the first year - trade in value would be maybe 60% of driveaway price after year one, maybe up to 70% if you have disregarded GST/VAT. Second year is better, probably 50% after end year 2, and 40 - 45% at the end of year 3, each on the driveaway price. I'm not so sure about private sale prices, it is very hard to sell a car from more than $50K privately, but I'd think you'd claw back another 10% or so. On our previous XE we had paid $85K for it in December 2015 (which included $7K GST) and were offered $31K as a trade in July this year, I sold it for $36K (to a lovely couple) within a week of advertising in gumtree and facebook marketplace but I only had one responder to the ad even though it was the cheapest one there by far, so that is about 40% of the new car price (incl GST).

Jags and volvos are not that different to other marques, save maybe Porsche which retains a lot of value, but there isnt so much of a ready market for them as most people are looking at the Germans.
Extensive!
Sounds like you know your stuff and im glad i asked. Thankyou!
Think ill be sticking to a 2016 or older...if they would just show up already.
Anyone on here thinking of selling their v6S, put it up! Haha

Old 09-11-2019, 03:31 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lossking_
Neither, v8 or nothing
That's what I was thinking. Get a low miles V8 S for less money and add an $800 tune to take it above the SVR in raw HP. Plus, RWD or nothing.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
That's what I was thinking. Get a low miles V8 S for less money and add an $800 tune to take it above the SVR in raw HP. Plus, RWD or nothing.
Only one problem with that, our friend Bonz wants a coupe and not a vert.
The V8S was vert only.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Only one problem with that, our friend Bonz wants a coupe and not a vert.
The V8S was vert only.
😁😁😁 Coupe only 😁😁😁

Old 09-16-2019, 04:27 AM

Patience is killing me and ive now looked at mk1 audi R8's and now considering a 2014 F type R.
Theres one currently in WA in an awesome stratus grey.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-17524923

Whats your opinions on this one?
And is there anyone in WA that could do me a solid just to visually inspect it?

Cheers

Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Patience is killing me and ive now looked at mk1 audi R8's and now considering a 2014 F type R.
Theres one currently in WA in an awesome stratus grey.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-17524923

Whats your opinions on this one?
And is there anyone in WA that could do me a solid just to visually inspect it?

Cheers
Looks OK at that price, low kms only 17,535. Check that it has a full JLR service history.
As well as the usual R goodies it has the "sports" flat bottomed steering wheel, the bright metal pedal covers and the illuminated tread plates, so around $4,000 in extras right there. It also has Michies (not crappy P-Zeros) that look near new so a huge bonus.
It's missing the 770W surround sound and I can't tell if it has the pano roof or not (I understand that is a must for you).
It doesn't say if it has the vision pack (but it does have a reversing camera) and/or the reverse traffic detection, these are essential in the F-Type.
Bruce will chime in and say the 2014 infotainment is crap but I find it perfectly acceptable and anyway who needs it in an R!
You should be able to haggle the price down a bit, try for $110,000, and get them to throw in the cost of trucking it over to you (I did both when I bought my F-Type).
Be aware of sales tax though, here in SA it costs a bundle to register a car brought in from interstate, around 3% of the purchase price, dunno what it is in NSW.
Yes, definitely get someone to inspect it first although I'm not aware of any WA members on here.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Looks OK at that price, low kms only 17,535. Check that it has a full JLR service history.
As well as the usual R goodies it has the "sports" flat bottomed steering wheel, the bright metal pedal covers and the illuminated tread plates, so around $4,000 in extras right there. It also has Michies (not crappy P-Zeros) that look near new so a huge bonus.
It's missing the 770W surround sound and I can't tell if it has the pano roof or not (I understand that is a must for you).
It doesn't say if it has the vision pack (but it does have a reversing camera) and/or the reverse traffic detection, these are essential in the F-Type.
Bruce will chime in and say the 2014 infotainment is crap but I find it perfectly acceptable and anyway who needs it in an R!
You should be able to haggle the price down a bit, try for $110,000, and get them to throw in the cost of trucking it over to you (I did both when I bought my F-Type).
Be aware of sales tax though, here in SA it costs a bundle to register a car brought in from interstate, around 3% of the purchase price, dunno what it is in NSW.
Yes, definitely get someone to inspect it first although I'm not aware of any WA members on here.
I couldnt agree more!
Unfortunate about the meridian surround...but ok...
I came to realise im ok with or without pano roof after driving all the R8's. Preferrable though.

Haha the infotainment doesnt bother me too much..so im not too worried.
Agreed! Hopefully can get a deal plus transport. Calling them tomorrow.

Yeah i can't remember the % for transfer fees for nsw...really does suck along with the stamp duty price on this sucker 😓
Such a journey to fly to WA, but worth it for inspection.
Hopefully theres a someone on here that can save me the journey.
Thanks @OzXFR youve been alot of help 👍

Old 09-16-2019, 06:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Such a journey to fly to WA, but worth it for inspection.
But. if you like it, worth it for the drive home!

Quick Reply: V6 or V6S ?