F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6S 6-speed Manual Delayed Throttle Tip-in

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I haven't been out driving since this thread started, just a grocery run, but this weekend I will try to replicate the issue described.

I've done some work on open source tuning software so knew that the "gas pedal" is really just a request, but when the car was new I felt that my requests were not always honored. It felt like old-school turbo lag at times. It was definitely improved after the tune, but I need to see if I experience your specific complaint. These days I'm racking up less that 1/10 of the miles I used to when the car was new and can go a week without driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
CarlB (06-27-2024), HermanWiegman (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:40 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I am jumping in, after being pinged by @Luc Lapierre
I do have some experience with the Dual Mass Flywheel, and I also just competed in the Spring 2024 Jaguar AutoX event where I experienced the throttle delay phenomena. Here are my notes:

1) Car Setup
I have an F-Type V6 Manual, originally with OEM Dual Mass Flywheel, now upgraded with lightweight Aasco Motorsports single mass flywheel and ACT clutch. (And Quaife ATB equipped rear diff). I do not have any tunes.. just OEM software.
2)DMF vs. SMF
With an OEM flywheel, I used to feel a weird clunk when applying throttle (or removing throttle), and this 0.2 ~ 0.3 second thrust delay (low-to-intermediate RPM) was due to the torsion springs in the DMF. Now, with a Single Mass Flywheel, my right-foot-to-rear axle connection no longer has this clunk, or slight delay.
3) Clutch Engagement
I have not yet found the elusive hydraulic clutch delay valve, and I don’t think it is the cause of the engine torque delay phenomena, as all of my experiences with unexpected torque delay happen while in gear, not while shifting (which could spawn a new thread on shifting behavior of various flywheel/friction disc/pressure plate combinations, of which I could opine for days).
4) Dynamic Mode
I have recently experienced the weird throttle delay when I was AutoX’ing. I normally run in regular mode, but did an experiment and made a run in dynamic mode and was met with throttle delay. This was on a tight course (run in 1st gear) with no gear changes. Just some left foot braking and right foot throttle to modulate the under/over steer through the cones. I was dumb founded that the dynamic mode was giving poor throttle response. Normally, when at 3000 ~ 6000 RPM, the throttle response is excellent.
5) Dynamic Stability Control
Normally I use TracDSC during AutoX events and track days, and DSC on for normal driving. I seldom access DSC off and I have not run any formal experiments between these settings.

In summary, my experiences indicate that …
There is a torque clunk in the drivetrain due to the DMF in the Manual V6 F-Types,
There is a weird throttle delay between throttle and engine output when in Dynamic mode (and it may be related to brake application)
Or there could be weird effects in the ECU when processing the throttle map (Torque command vs. Throttle position).

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 07-03-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HermanWiegman:
CarlB (07-02-2024), DJS (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 08:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the information@HermanWiegman . What flywheel are you using and would you recommend it? We're planning to have this car a while, so undoubtedly will have to replace the clutch and flywheel.

Old 07-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

@CarlB
You can jump over to the "F-Type Clutch Replacement Options" thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2708471
I enjoy a single mass, lightweight flywheel in my F-Type that I designed with the help of Aasco Motorsports and ACT.. and now Kennedy Engineered Products.
These efforts are done under my "Onca Engineering" account.
The best setup will depend upon your objectives for your F-Type Manual.
There is a suggested product table in the above link/thread.

The following users liked this post:
CarlB (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
@CarlB
You can jump over to the "F-Type Clutch Replacement Options" thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2708471
I enjoy a single mass, lightweight flywheel in my F-Type that I designed with the help of Aasco Motorsports and ACT.. and now Kennedy Engineered Products.
These efforts are done under my "Onca Engineering" account.
The best setup will depend upon your objectives for your F-Type Manual.
There is a suggested product table in the above link/thread.
Perfect, thank you. I've run a 7lb fidanza aluminum flywheel in a daily before, but suspect my wife will want something in steel to have a bit more forgiveness.

Old 07-03-2024, 12:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Onca Engineering solution features a 25 lbs Aluminum flywheel, which is about 35% lighter than stock OEM.
This solution presents some low RPM NVH artifacts, but not as wild as a Very Lightweight Flywheel.
So an appropriate solution to make our F-Types feel more sharp and alive, without making them a vibration box.

The following 2 users liked this post by Onca Engineering:
CarlB (07-03-2024), Luc Lapierre (07-04-2024)
Old Today, 03:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@CarlB @Luc Lapierre @blthomas @Stuart@VelocityAP @lizzardo@natguar

I found a definitive engine throttle "cut back" issue in my 2017 Jaguar F-Type V6 Manual (OEM code, no tune).

Spoiler Alert:
It happens when applying both throttle and brake pedal at the same time, resulting in the ECU to "de-throttle" the engine.
The throttle does bounce back slowly after the brake pedal is released.

The below YouTube video link is "unlisted" for the time being, so only those with the link can see it.
Please reply with any feedback before I make it "public."

Drive Well,
Herman Wiegman
Onca Engineering

Last edited by Onca Engineering; Today at 03:42 PM.
CarlB (Today)
Old Today, 04:16 PM
Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts

Hi Herman,

I can't seem to access the video.
Perhaps the private link will work if you post it as plaintext? We could then simply copy/paste it into the address bar.
​​​​

Onca Engineering (Today)
Old Today, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Onca Engineering
@CarlB @Luc Lapierre @blthomas @Stuart@VelocityAP @lizzardo@natguar

I found a definitive engine throttle "cut back" issue in my 2017 Jaguar F-Type V6 Manual (OEM code, no tune).

Spoiler Alert:
It happens when applying both throttle and brake pedal at the same time, resulting in the ECU to "de-throttle" the engine.
The throttle does bounce back slowly after the brake pedal is released.

The below YouTube video link is "unlisted" for the time being, so only those with the link can see it.
Please reply with any feedback before I make it "public."

Drive Well,
Herman Wiegman
Onca Engineering

https://youtu.be/2-mj4lcT7W4
Interesting! Great finding.

I know you were producing an extreme test of the vehicle limiting driver demand, but is this delay occuring for you under track/ax driving with the smf? I'm wondering if both are factors to the perception or if it is mostly software.

Thanks for digging into this behavior.